1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mgage10, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    [​IMG]

Items Needed:

-Masking Tape (Any size will do)
    -Scissors or Snips
    -Fishing Line
    -Blow Dryer
    -Goo Gone or WD-40
    -Windex
    -Towel (Recommend Micro Fiber)
    -Plastic Bonding Spray Paint
    -Clear Coat (Optional but recommended for durability)
    -Two sided tape (Recommend 3M brand)
    -Your Favorite Cold Beverage

[​IMG]

1. Tape around the perimeter of badge you will be removing in order to put it back on in the same location.

[​IMG]

2. Cut a piece of fishing line approximately 2 Feet in length. Heat the badge with blow dryer in a horizontal motion (the blow dryer does not get hot enough to damage paint so do not worry). Once the badge is hot, place the fishing line behind the badge and move in a horizontal motion until the badge is removed. If this motion becomes difficult, reheat the badge and continue.

[​IMG]

3. Clean the paint where the badge was with Windex and towel. If there is a sticky residue, use Goo Gone or WD-40 (Neither will harm paint. Just wipe off after).

[​IMG]

4. Remove tape from the back of badges, clean thoroughly (Water and dish soap with a good rinse will do). Then dry thoroughly.

[​IMG]

5. Paint badges (2-3 coats or until complete coverage) and allow appropriate drying time (15-30 minutes).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Apply clear coat (2-3 Coats) and allow 24-48 hours to cure (the can says 15 minutes, but it is not dry by then and will leave finger prints).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cut and place two sided tape on backside of badges.

[​IMG]

8. Clean surface with Windex and towel. Install badges.

[​IMG]

9. Remove tape and clean around badges.

[​IMG]

10. Finish off your favorite cold beverage and admire your work.

Glenny, rizrox, BRIANMTEW and 32 others like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    No problemo :cool:

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Nice write up!

4. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Speed Nut

Speed Nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great write-up. Did you need to scuff the plating for the paint to stick? This will be my next project. Right after I install my garage flooring.

5. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    No scuffing or sanding needed. Just make sure to get plastic bonding paint and you should be good to go.

Glenny likes this.
  6. Jun 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    Speed Nut

Speed Nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    Excellent. I hope mine come out as nice as yours did.

7. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Take your time and don't be afraid to let the paint dry longer than the minimum time and it will turn out great :cool:

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I just bought some supplies; going to attempt this tomorrow. I got 3M heavy duty (Scotch) double sided foam tape. I hope it's not too thick actually. We'll see.

ETA: What I want to do is add a thin red line on the left (biggest) tailgate badge, but I might just get some red electrical tape and cut it to size. Not sure if I can tape off enough and properly so I can paint it on.

tacotacolove77 likes this.
  9. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Very nice. How thick is the tape? As far as tape width goes, I believe mine was 3/4". I cut directly down the middle then cut pieces to fit the badges. Pretty easy stuff.

I am try to understand what you mean by the red line. Are you putting a red line on the badge itself or on the tailgate?

BigL09Guy likes this.
  10. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    On the badge, straight down the middle. Similar to the bumper stickers you've probably seen in red (or blue for law enforcement).
    [​IMG]

11. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Aw I see. That would be super fly.

I would suggest painting the badges black, let them dry 24-48 hours in order to avoid damage from the tape, tape the whole badge except for the part desired to be red, paint it red, let dry another 24-48 hours, remove tape, and clear coat (make sure you really let the clear coat dry well).

12. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    That was my plan. Oh what the hell. Got to buy new cans anyway; may as well buy the red and just do it :)
    I'll post pics in a week after the layers have dried lol

13. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    Sounds bueno.

Happy painting my friend

14. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Black coating is done. They're drying right now. Sweet!

I wonder if a paint pen wouldn't be more efficient for the thin red line. I'm afraid of the red spray 'dust' creeping in places I don't want it no matter how well I try to tape it off. Red sharpie even? lol It'll all be covered by the clear coat.

Opinions?

ETA: image of graphical representation of the end result. Would look sweet!

15. Jun 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    that looks real sick sc.

thanks for the write up!! I have been wondering if i should use spray adhesive to re-attach the badges, or double sided scotch tape. NOW I KNOW!!! thanks again!!

16. Jun 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Just came in from removing both 'TACOMA' badges from the side and the 'PRERUNNER', 'SR5' and 'V6' badges from my tailgate. Thanks for the DIY. I love the look. I may go ahead and remove the 'TOYOTA' emblem and just leave the 'TACOMA' badge. Not sure yet.

17. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    I think that looks awesome.

Personally, I would try painting it first or a paint pen. Sharpie will look like...well let's just say sharpie.

I like the creativity. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

You betcha. Hope it's helpful!

Very nice. I put a TRD badge on my tailgate. I didn't care for all the stock badging so I just left it off. The nice thing is, you can change your style whenver.

18. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    That's a good idea. I think I'd like the TRD badge by itself better. I also could pick up a second one to go on my new grille once that's done. Where's the best place to pick them up at?

19. Jun 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    mgage10

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
  20. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    2blu4u

2blu4u Human after all

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink Sport
    TRD exhaust, Pro Comp leveling kit, MB wheels, Yoko Geolander tires, black Grillcraft grill, BHLM, Pop-n-Lock, Access bed cover, Katzkin leather with seat heaters, custom console cover, shorter black billet antenna, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, bed mat, and bed extender.
    How long did the project take overall mgage10? I have all the supplies for the job except the fishing line. I have a feeling I am going to be driving around with tape on my truck due to paint drying/curing time.

To Top