Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mgage10 Send a message via Skype™ to mgage10
DIY: Badge Removal/Painting/Installation

Items Needed:

-Masking Tape (Any size will do)
-Scissors or Snips
-Fishing Line
-Blow Dryer
-Goo Gone or WD-40
-Windex
-Towel (Recommend Micro Fiber)
-Plastic Bonding Spray Paint
-Clear Coat (Optional but recommended for durability)
-Two sided tape (Recommend 3M brand)
-Your Favorite Cold Beverage

1. Tape around the perimeter of badge you will be removing in order to put it back on in the same location.

2. Cut a piece of fishing line approximately 2 Feet in length. Heat the badge with blow dryer in a horizontal motion (the blow dryer does not get hot enough to damage paint so do not worry). Once the badge is hot, place the fishing line behind the badge and move in a horizontal motion until the badge is removed. If this motion becomes difficult, reheat the badge and continue.

3. Clean the paint where the badge was with Windex and towel. If there is a sticky residue, use Goo Gone or WD-40 (Neither will harm paint. Just wipe off after).

4. Remove tape from the back of badges, clean thoroughly (Water and dish soap with a good rinse will do). Then dry thoroughly.

5. Paint badges (2-3 coats or until complete coverage) and allow appropriate drying time (15-30 minutes).

6. Apply clear coat (2-3 Coats) and allow 24-48 hours to cure (the can says 15 minutes, but it is not dry by then and will leave finger prints).

7. Cut and place two sided tape on backside of badges.

8. Clean surface with Windex and towel. Install badges.

9. Remove tape and clean around badges.

10. Finish off your favorite cold beverage and admire your work.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Speed Nut is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd ID, 7 ID (L)
Speed Nut's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Great write-up. Did you need to scuff the plating for the paint to stick? This will be my next project. Right after I install my garage flooring.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Nut View Post
Great write-up. Did you need to scuff the plating for the paint to stick? This will be my next project. Right after I install my garage flooring.
No scuffing or sanding needed. Just make sure to get plastic bonding paint and you should be good to go.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Speed Nut is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd ID, 7 ID (L)
Speed Nut's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent. I hope mine come out as nice as yours did.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought some supplies; going to attempt this tomorrow. I got 3M heavy duty (Scotch) double sided foam tape. I hope it's not too thick actually. We'll see.

ETA: What I want to do is add a thin red line on the left (biggest) tailgate badge, but I might just get some red electrical tape and cut it to size. Not sure if I can tape off enough and properly so I can paint it on.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
I just bought some supplies; going to attempt this tomorrow. I got 3M heavy duty (Scotch) double sided foam tape. I hope it's not too thick actually. We'll see.

ETA: What I want to do is add a thin red line on the left (biggest) tailgate badge, but I might just get some red electrical tape and cut it to size. Not sure if I can tape off enough and properly so I can paint it on.
Very nice. How thick is the tape? As far as tape width goes, I believe mine was 3/4". I cut directly down the middle then cut pieces to fit the badges. Pretty easy stuff.

I am try to understand what you mean by the red line. Are you putting a red line on the badge itself or on the tailgate?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #11

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Aw I see. That would be super fly.

I would suggest painting the badges black, let them dry 24-48 hours in order to avoid damage from the tape, tape the whole badge except for the part desired to be red, paint it red, let dry another 24-48 hours, remove tape, and clear coat (make sure you really let the clear coat dry well).
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Black coating is done. They're drying right now. Sweet!

I wonder if a paint pen wouldn't be more efficient for the thin red line. I'm afraid of the red spray 'dust' creeping in places I don't want it no matter how well I try to tape it off. Red sharpie even? lol It'll all be covered by the clear coat.

Opinions?

ETA: image of graphical representation of the end result. Would look sweet!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
that looks real sick sc.

thanks for the write up!! I have been wondering if i should use spray adhesive to re-attach the badges, or double sided scotch tape. NOW I KNOW!!! thanks again!!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Just came in from removing both 'TACOMA' badges from the side and the 'PRERUNNER', 'SR5' and 'V6' badges from my tailgate. Thanks for the DIY. I love the look. I may go ahead and remove the 'TOYOTA' emblem and just leave the 'TACOMA' badge. Not sure yet.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #17

mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Black coating is done. They're drying right now. Sweet!

I wonder if a paint pen wouldn't be more efficient for the thin red line. I'm afraid of the red spray 'dust' creeping in places I don't want it no matter how well I try to tape it off. Red sharpie even? lol It'll all be covered by the clear coat.

Opinions?

ETA: image of graphical representation of the end result. Would look sweet!
I think that looks awesome.

Personally, I would try painting it first or a paint pen. Sharpie will look like...well let's just say sharpie.

I like the creativity. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
that looks real sick sc.

thanks for the write up!! I have been wondering if i should use spray adhesive to re-attach the badges, or double sided scotch tape. NOW I KNOW!!! thanks again!!
You betcha. Hope it's helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
Just came in from removing both 'TACOMA' badges from the side and the 'PRERUNNER', 'SR5' and 'V6' badges from my tailgate. Thanks for the DIY. I love the look. I may go ahead and remove the 'TOYOTA' emblem and just leave the 'TACOMA' badge. Not sure yet.
Very nice. I put a TRD badge on my tailgate. I didn't care for all the stock badging so I just left it off. The nice thing is, you can change your style whenver.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #18
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post
Very nice. I put a TRD badge on my tailgate. I didn't care for all the stock badging so I just left it off. The nice thing is, you can change your style whenver.
That's a good idea. I think I'd like the TRD badge by itself better. I also could pick up a second one to go on my new grille once that's done. Where's the best place to pick them up at?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Human after all
2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice2blu4u is just really nice

2blu4u's Tacoma Gallery
How long did the project take overall mgage10? I have all the supplies for the job except the fishing line. I have a feeling I am going to be driving around with tape on my truck due to paint drying/curing time.

Products Discussed in this Thread