Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Soap or Just Water?

Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #41
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
[..just get two 5-gallon buckets and fill them in your house/apt./laundry room/utility room etc, and carry them to your washplace I did it all the time when I lived in apts.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #42
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mShu7 View Post
I would never recommend, nor have I ever heard a good detailer recommend washing with water only.

BTW, just b/c the guy owned a Porsche or got the info from a Porsche dealer doesn't mean it was good advice. Honestly, car dealerships (even exotic) are known for bad detailing....and I mean BAD. There's a reason they have the reputation that they do on all the detailing message boards. You wouldn't believe the hack jobs that come from dealerships, including the high-end ones.
You can wash anything without soap (your car, your dishes, your balls) and get acceptable results. Itís certainly better than not washing. However, if you want superior results you need a soap specific to the task like a car wash soap. This is so obvious it almost goes without saying. I guess this thread proves that the obvious isnít always so.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #43
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
I have always used Zip-Wax car soap, I knew a body shop owner in the early 80's who after painting cars would wash them using this stuff...freaked me out that he would do that to paint....plus he used it on all his Camaros and they were just beautiful......my Tacoma paint is still in great shape after 12 years.....I don't feel clean after just using water....gotta have the body wash!!
+1 on The Zip-Wax car wash. Bought a half gallon size in 2000 and still using it. Two capfuls makes suds that feel slick so it acts as a lubricant so the dirt and towel dont scratch. Easy on wax, and rinses clean. Still being sold so it must be OK. Makes the Taco look GoooooD. I believe it is from Turtle Wax, not home so I cant look. Both previous cars I used it with, got compliments, on how nicely the paint still shined, from the car dealers where I traded them.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #44
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
i only use purified water to wash the truck and car soap. not water only.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #45
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
i only use purified water to wash the truck and car soap. not water only.
Purified water? Do you have a water filter on your main line?

Since I live in the desert and have hard water itís a big race to dry the truck before it dries itself. What I do now is wash it early in the morning inside my garage. I have the garage set up so nothing is on the floor, so the water just runs out and down the driveway.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #46
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
Purified water? Do you have a water filter on your main line?

Since I live in the desert and have hard water itís a big race to dry the truck before it dries itself. What I do now is wash it early in the morning inside my garage. I have the garage set up so nothing is on the floor, so the water just runs out and down the driveway.
yeah, the house has a filter on the main line, i have the same problem, i live in the desert as well and it is a race to get the truck dried before the water spots set in. What i do is wash it outside and just dry it inside the garage...
Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #47
Pepsi
Playz will become famous soon enoughPlayz will become famous soon enough

Playz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Playz Send a message via Yahoo to Playz
Washing with water only is fine. When you use a cloth that pretty much takes any grit or dirt off. The wax that you put on your truck makes the washing easier. DIrt or grit won't stick to the paint with a good wax on. Either way as long as you wash your truck without dish soap your fine.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #48
vivafire is on a distinguished road

vivafire's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use hot water ,but luke warm water as my preference. And I always use Meguiars soap. I did use waterless carwash from Prolong awhile back when my truck was not to dirty and I was happy with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #49
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting post. I have always used "car washing" liquid soap but can't help to think that if dishwashing soap is gentle enough for your hands, how can it be rough on paint? :-)
Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Interesting post. I have always used "car washing" liquid soap but can't help to think that if dishwashing soap is gentle enough for your hands, how can it be rough on paint? :-)
Dish soap like Dawn has degreasers in it. So among other things it will strip the wax off the truck as well as dry out the rubber.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #52
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
i tried meguiars gold class for the first time yesterday, i liked it a lot... works very good and the water feels very lubricated, also its not a pain to dry after rinsing...
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #53
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
..........this truck has seen nothing but HOT WATER its entire 7 yrs. The secret is keeping it up with a high end sealant glaze. I swear by "Klasse"
agree w/ Klasse, but have never tried just hot water. I'm assuming that you had on Klasse SG from day 1? I had a friend put a couple coats on his S2000, wrecked it, and the body shop had a working with it. Klasse is good shit. I've been using it for about 5 years.

What other detailing products do you use?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #54
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I treat my truck like a truck, I take very good care of the motor and drive train, and I wash it every once and a while, but it is not a show car. I have all the respect in the world for those that want to keep it showroom shiny, but I'd rather let the mud on my truck show people I had some fun last weekend, at least for a few days untill I wash it with whatever carwash soap i've got on hand.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #55
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
agree w/ Klasse, but have never tried just hot water. I'm assuming that you had on Klasse SG from day 1? I had a friend put a couple coats on his S2000, wrecked it, and the body shop had a working with it. Klasse is good shit. I've been using it for about 5 years.

What other detailing products do you use?
hey Yeah I've been all over the waxing thing from the day I brought it home-that evening I washed it and applied the Klasse right away! I have been re-applying it every 3-4 months since, which isnt neccessary at all but Im a nut for a detailed vehicle. That stems from my childhood...all my friends' parents were better off than our family and would get a new Caddy or Olds or Chrysler every couple three years,and as my Dad's Buick was getting to be 6-7-8 years old I took over the detailing of his car to keep it looking sharp against all those fancy newer cars-during my early teen years! Of course back then it was Turtle Wax and chrome polish and hours of work I had that Electra looking FINE and Pops had the benefit of cruising in shiny style which he so deserved
As far as other detailing stuff- I use "Meguire's Back to Black" on the trims, bumperpads and mudflaps
"Mother's Tire Shine" on the tires
"Just Once" black/shine protectant on the Rhinolining and interior leather
Hey thanks for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
I treat my truck like a truck, I take very good care of the motor and drive train, and I wash it every once and a while, but it is not a show car. I have all the respect in the world for those that want to keep it showroom shiny, but I'd rather let the mud on my truck show people I had some fun last weekend, at least for a few days untill I wash it with whatever carwash soap i've got on hand.
Nothing wrong with your style-it's American