Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Soap or Just Water?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Lane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the rough
Lane Cypert's Tacoma Gallery
Soap or Just Water?

I have heard that it is best to use just water and not soap when washing your truck if it's not extremely dirty. I heard that the soaps can stay in th paint and be bad for the paint over time. My truck usually doesn't get that dirty so I usually just use water and a microfiber mit to wash my truck. I was checking to see if it is better to go with or without soap to wash the truck. I would like to hear some feedback!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've always heard that the soap helps to lubricate the grit and make it slide away easier. I've never washed with just water.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Use soap, but just don't let a soaped up truck dry with it on, it'll leave streaks. Don't use regular soap either use a car washing liquid.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
..........this truck has seen nothing but HOT WATER its entire 7 yrs. The secret is keeping it up with a high end sealant glaze. I swear by "Klasse"
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'd definately use soap.... just don't use any old soap. Get car wash type soap or even the specialty brands like Zaino, Mothers, McGuiares etc. There's a lot of oily grime that water won't necessarily break it down and remove it.

You don't wanna use dishwashing soap - as that can remove the polish/waxes.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
ONLY use car wash liquid. Don't try using dish soap, I don't know why people think thats a good idea.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I'm outnumbered as usual but hot water has worked for me and I've used nothing BUT that for years. Ive saved THOUSANDS by not buying car soap and my 7 year old finish is like showroom with pics to prove it. So let my ONE testimonial show you the possibility. Try it a couple times after you wax your truck. You'll like it. By the way-I've heard that soap acts as a 'lube'-that's true if you have gritty dirt to get off. I have no swirls or scratches on mine and I use hot water to wash even after a rain.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Resident Detailer
mShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmShu7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mShu7's Tacoma Gallery
NEVER wash your vehicle with water alone. Buy a quality car shampoo that contains lubricating and conditioning oils. Water alone isn't a lubricant so using a quality shampoo will leave you with a better finish than water alone. Just don't use dish soap. Dish soap is what will dry out the paint, trim, and everything else on the car.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #9

So everything I said about doing it for years and NOT having finish issues you are saying I'm full of it?? Look at the pics man-my finish is perfect and I think you could at least acknowledge that if it's working for me then it works sometimes. I dont get the disrespect here mShu7
Old 06-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
So everything I said about doing it for years and NOT having finish issues you are saying I'm full of it?? Look at the pics man-my finish is perfect and I think you could at least acknowledge that if it's working for me then it works sometimes. I dont get the disrespect here mShu7
hey man, relax. i think mshu7 is just giving his opinion on what the original poster was asking about. i dont believe he was ripping on you. hey, if it works......keep on doin it bro!!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #11

Hey T-dont mean to come across bad I just think it's a slap to come in right behind me and say NEVER use just water as if to say dont listen to that guy like Im lying about my results with plain water. I got this hot water technique from a guy I lived next door to and he owned Porsches! He got the concept from his Porsche dealer. They wrong too?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
..........this truck has seen nothing but HOT WATER its entire 7 yrs. The secret is keeping it up with a high end sealant glaze. I swear by "Klasse"
That truck looks SWEET! Very nice shine!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hey T-dont mean to come across bad I just think it's a slap to come in right behind me and say NEVER use just water as if to say dont listen to that guy like Im lying about my results with plain water. I got this hot water technique from a guy I lived next door to and he owned Porsches! He got the concept from his Porsche dealer. They wrong too?
i get what you are saying bro, but dont take it as anything. its just an opinion. i use hot water also, but i use carwash soap too. no one is really wrong, just have different ways of doing things. like i said, since it has worked for you for this long.....keep it up, hell, your truck looks awesome man!! i prefer soap and hot water, but thats just my preference.............if it works.......keep on workin it!!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

When I was in High Skrewel, I worked for a company that washed Iported exotic cars and air planes. We used only HOT water. It worked really good. People who have $200,000.00 and up cars seemed happy with how their cars turned out. My Dad would only wash his plane with hot water as well. Me? I dont feel like tying into my water heater and installing a hose bib. With my luck, I would go to water the plants and burn the Crap out of myself because I turned on the wrong faucett.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i get what you are saying bro, but dont take it as anything. its just an opinion. i use hot water also, but i use carwash soap too. no one is really wrong, just have different ways of doing things. like i said, since it has worked for you for this long.....keep it up, hell, your truck looks awesome man!! i prefer soap and hot water, but thats just my preference.............if it works.......keep on workin it!!
.............I value your response T-thanks and I'll cool out.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
.............I value your response T-thanks and I'll cool out.
no prob man........and im gonna have a beer for ya right now!!! hell, i may have 4 or 5 for ya!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
When I was in High Skrewel, I worked for a company that washed Iported exotic cars and air planes. We used only HOT water. It worked really good. People who have $200,000.00 and up cars seemed happy with how their cars turned out. My Dad would only wash his plane with hot water as well. Me? I dont feel like tying into my water heater and installing a hose bib. With my luck, I would go to water the plants and burn the Crap out of myself because I turned on the wrong faucett.
............Chris thanks for the props bud It's all about the GLAZE on the finish. I am SO glad you mentioned planes because Klasse was BORN of planes, boats and moved into high end cars after.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i prefer soap and hot water,
I prefer a handfull of quarters, and an enclosed place with a high pressure wand!

Oh, and my HOA doesnt allow for vehicles being washed on the property.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
....... I am SO glad you mentioned planes because Klasse was BORN of planes, boats and moved into high end cars after.
What color is the bottle? My Dad was VERY adamant about useing a certain wax on the plane.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I prefer a handfull of quarters, and an enclosed place with a high pressure wand!

Oh, and my HOA doesnt allow for vehicles being washed on the property.
that does work pretty good.....but the car washes around here are usually filled up with dumbasses detailing their cars in the wash bay........which isnt what its for. so i usually go there in the winter when its not full and use it then, or after i do some off roading and the tacoma gets real muddy.

we have been having water restrictions here where i live, but since the lake filled back up, they have cut them loose a litle, so i have been getting back to my washing routine somewhat. sucks that you cant wash vehicles on the property though.