Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

What is the best wax?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
sd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sd_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcathr View Post
Try collinite 845 insulator wax
+2

Another top rated synthetic wax with a lot of protection is einzett Glanz wax.

I've used both this and the collinite with great results on my STI. Will be doing the same with my Taco.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up the best wax

The best wax you can buy is zymol in walmart or target 100%

good results more and less $ 15
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #23
rgolden5724 is a name known to allrgolden5724 is a name known to allrgolden5724 is a name known to allrgolden5724 is a name known to allrgolden5724 is a name known to allrgolden5724 is a name known to all

rgolden5724's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fond of Carnu-B. Easy application and removal, great results, protects for 4-6 months in Northeastern climate.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
davidsdad will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
davidsdad's Tacoma Gallery
Liquid Glass, kinda hard work to get it off after applying it but you sit the truck in the sun to cure it. After applying several coats over time, it really protects the paint better than anything else that I have seen!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #25
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
For a combo of quality/value, I like Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. Great stuff.

thats what I use and it is really good stuff
Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #26
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Your question is similar to what is the best oil, you'll ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Try different brands and see what works best for you would be my advice.
I agree with this as well as what someone else said in another similar thread.

If you're the type of guy that doesn't want to spend hours waxing your truck, then get a simple wipe on wipe off one you know you'll use.

I'm this kind of guy and have found Turtle Wax Ice liquid polish to be fine for me.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #27
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
Wolfgang concours deep gloss paint sealant is the best ive ever used when used in conjunction with their swirl remover and polish.

Its a little expensive but damn my truck looked good after i was done. Id use a mechanical polisher to apply them though.
I like that as well. Wolfgang Fuzion is really nice wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanodave View Post
zaino and p21s on top
I use the Zaino Z2P topped with Wolfgang Fuzion. Protection lasts for about a year.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Your question is similar to what is the best oil, you'll ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Try different brands and see what works best for you would be my advice.
lol.... exactly. as if everyone has tested them objectively against one another. the comments about how good theirs looks with brand 'X' is especiially funny.

i could wax mine with the worst wax on the market, you know, brand "y", and it would look great too!

and as far as people saying one is 'top rated' - please tell us who rated it and provide the link (at least some reference!). is it you rating it???
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #29
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
is it you rating it???
For my post yes it is me.

I have been waxing cars since 196, actually earlier than that. LOL

Even turtle wax would look great on a properly polished Tacoma.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
whattheheck is on a distinguished road
Name: John
whattheheck's Tacoma Gallery
Turtle Wax ICE, liquid polish, it goes on and off super easy and geezzze does it shine. What's cool too is you can do all your black trim with this stuff too and it gets rid of the water spots on the trim. Very easy to buff off also.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #31
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
For my post yes it is me.

I have been waxing cars since 196, actually earlier than that. LOL

Even turtle wax would look great on a properly polished Tacoma.

Holy crap how old are you??? and what kind of car/truck did they have in 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattheheck View Post
Turtle Wax ICE, liquid polish, it goes on and off super easy and geezzze does it shine. What's cool too is you can do all your black trim with this stuff too and it gets rid of the water spots on the trim. Very easy to buff off also.

I use the same, I can do the truck in about 30 min. front to back, top to bottom.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #32
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosabre View Post
Holy crap how old are you??? and what kind of car/truck did they have in 196
LOL Sorry I am a student of Chris 4X4.

It should be since 1960 or so.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #33
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
ZYMÖL wax comes off as easy as it goes on
my dads always used zymol. its a great wax
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
Almost any wax will work, if it's used often. You shouldn't need to spend over ~$15 on a can/bottle of wax to get great shine, easy application and good durability. You don't need to spend a car payment on something a show-car would use.

How you wash the truck is almost as important. Car washes and lazy hand-washing cause those swirls you see on some cars, especially in the sun.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #35
oneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneshot808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oneshot808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
ZYMÖL wax comes off as easy as it goes on
x2 and it smells great haha. (although I hate it when i put the bottle down and it sends wax shooting out because i forgot to cap it.)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #36
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post
Almost any wax will work, if it's used often. You shouldn't need to spend over ~$15 on a can/bottle of wax to get great shine, easy application and good durability. You don't need to spend a car payment on something a show-car would use.

How you wash the truck is almost as important. Car washes and lazy hand-washing cause those swirls you see on some cars, especially in the sun.
Worth repeating.

Car washes are terrible. They get the car wet, but not clean, and then some kid follows by grinding in the leftover grit into the paint.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #37
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
I always recommend

1. Polishing

2. Sealant

3. Wax

A sealant topped with a wax will last a long time and will create an awesome shine

I use Griots Garage random orbitol so it is easy. You can use anyone's polish, sealant or wax with it.

I like Griots 1 Step Sealant (polish and sealant all in one) followed by Wax

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do

Zymol, Mothers, Wolfgang, Meguairs make all good products.

Wolfgang has an awesome aluminum polish and aluminum sealant so I'm sure there other products are great too
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #38
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Worth repeating.

Car washes are terrible. They get the car wet, but not clean, and then some kid follows by grinding in the leftover grit into the paint.
A very true statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycar18 View Post
I always recommend

1. Polishing

2. Sealant

3. Wax

A sealant topped with a wax will last a long time and will create an awesome shine

I use Griots Garage random orbitol so it is easy. You can use anyone's polish, sealant or wax with it.

I like Griots 1 Step Sealant (polish and sealant all in one) followed by Wax

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do

Zymol, Mothers, Wolfgang, Meguairs make all good products.

Wolfgang has an awesome aluminum polish and aluminum sealant so I'm sure there other products are great too
I found that polishes was the hardest choice to make. Finding a brand that you like to work with takes time and it can get expensive very quickly. I personally found that Menzerna polishes worked best for me.

X2 on the Wolfgang. If you get a chance try the Wolfgang Fuzion wax. It is on special quite frequently at Autogeek.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #39
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Best stuff i've used is Zymol
Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #40
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
i have been using meguiars nxt 2.0. but i think im going to switch to yellow 26 from meguiars because i can bulk buy it by the gallon for 10 bucks more than an 18 oz bottle of nxt. haha and the less overhead cost the more profit for me.