1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bugs have stained my paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Sigo, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Sigo

Sigo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    I've got a white 2010 double cab. It's got a couple of yellow and brown stIns in the paint from bug splatters. I've tried all of the general stff to get it out up to applying rubbing compound by hand (3m Perfect it III). Looking for any recommendations. Thanks.

2. Sep 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.

I've got the same problem...looks like previous owner never washed the dead bugs off the front bumper. Probably will need to be buffed out. I too would like to know if anyone has a good suggestion.

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    Sigo

Sigo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    I don't think it will be able to be buffed out. I've got a machine but haven't got that aggressive yet. I've tried compound by hand.

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Try clay and if that doesn't work, try bug and tar remover.

5. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.

Thanks!

6. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    If the clar bar does not work you may need to buff it out. Do you have access to a buffer or a random orbital buffer?

7. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    I do.

8. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    WD-40 on a clean red shop rag.........

9. Sep 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Then I would start with the leastt agressive polish you have to remove the stain. I would still claybar first.

10. Sep 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner

Thx!

11. Sep 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Just for clarification, you can't really 'stain' acrylic-urethane paint. You can contaminate it (with adhesive, bugs, dirt, etc.) scratch it (inadvertently like I have done off-road, or on purpose with sandpaper or polish, all are scratches), you can dissolve it with acid (like using vinegar), etch it (with bird poop) and you can clean it with soap, solvent or clay.

Even if someone spray paints your vehicle, it is just sitting on the surface. It is in effect a bonded contaminant.

The bug guts are also a bonded contaminant sitting on the paint surface. In general, clay is the best way to remove this sort of thing. A solvent that would break down the bug guts but not the paint would also work.

Polish will 'grind away' at the bug guts but will also remove some paint. The risk becomes polishing an area so much in an effort to get the bug guts off that you remove more paint than is recommended.

Also, if you are working on the angled area of the hood, it's easier to do damage because only part of the buffing pad is making contact with the painted surface. Thus, you have more pounds of pressure per square inch.

I strongly recommend the bug and tar remover after trying clay, being careful not to let it drip anywhere else. Then wash the area really well with soap and water when you're done and of course, apply wax.

In general, I only polish to remove scratches and oxidation. For everything else, I try to use clay or a solvent. I'm not saying that polishing won't work, I just don't feel it is the best method.

12. Sep 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Spray-nine always worked with my old white car.

13. Sep 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    good info...thx

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:07 AM
    Sigo

Sigo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for all of the input. I'll give the clay a shot.

15. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner

Let me know if that does the trick.

16. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    v8killerturbo4

v8killerturbo4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ft Worth Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4
    Stock!
    Stoner's Invisible glass cleaner will dissolve splattered bugs very easily.

17. Sep 27, 2010 at 2:34 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    try some dilute vinegar

18. Oct 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    gwilli

gwilli New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner-White
    Blue dash lights, K & N air filter, Grillcraft grill, Behind the grill Hella 500 driving lamps, Extang tonneau cover,custom 3rd brake light
    I was always skeptical about this but tried it today and it really works great. I have a white 2010 crew cab and the love bugs are pretty bad here in FL right now and the front end is splattered real bad. I bought the cheap .97 box at Wally World not the expensive brand. I wet the truck down, got all the whole bugs off with my fingernail, wet the softener sheet folded in thirds and started on the leading edge of the hood. I was amazed that the bugs and guts just wipe off with little effort. Prior to this I had a white 01 x-tra cab and did the bug & tar thing and it's a lot of arm work. Works real good on the headlights & foglights too but make sure you wash them off cause it will leave a white film if you don't. My truck looks like I just bought it again.

19. Oct 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    gwilli

gwilli New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner-White
    Blue dash lights, K & N air filter, Grillcraft grill, Behind the grill Hella 500 driving lamps, Extang tonneau cover,custom 3rd brake light
    My white 01 was left home parked under a maple tree for 2 weeks while we were in GA on a hunting trip. It had rained and the yellow leaves stuck to the hood. When we got home and I peeled the leaves off there were perfect yellow leaves now "painted" on my hood. Washing did not take it off. I almost puked. Wax didn't take it off either. I tried Meguiars 3 step paint restoration products and the stain was still there. A guy at work told me to try a clay bar which I had never heard of. It took a long time but I finally got the stains out with the Meguiars clay bar kit.

20. Oct 14, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    ConnYotaMedic

ConnYotaMedic Member

Member:
    central Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Weathertech custom mats, TRD CAI, TRD catback exhaust, roughcountry 3"in lift, mostlikly new tires before this winter in case the northeast gets killed like we did last year.
    The best thing to take off bugs and tree sap that I have found is a nice soft dry cloth and purell hand sanitizer. It won't hurt the paint and is not abrasive, unless you are using a garbage cloth. I had looked around and all the bug cleaning products are a waste of money.

Products Discussed in

To Top