1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover wear?????

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Jeff3004x4, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I recently purchased the Tonneau Sport cover made by Agri Cover (AKA Access), this past July. I like the cover; it fits well, and is easy to roll up so I can use my bed. I have recently noticed a problem, which I would call my vinyl cover "wearing". This particular cover is designed so the cross bows actually roll up with the cover itself, which is nice for bed access. However, the wear I am talking about is occurring from me rolling my cover up and the crossbars wearing against the black side of the tonneau cover, which is leaving white wear marks. I called Agri Cover twice today, the first time I was told I need to “condition” my cover and it will solve all of my problems. It sounded weird to me, however, I did as I was told, went to the store bought the magical stuff the tonneau cover man told me about. Of course it made my cover look black and shiny but my white marks still existed. I immediately started getting aggravated I decided to call Agri Cover again, I told my story again and found myself at a dead end leaving “Ed” (the warranty guy) a voicemail. No I am not a crazy consumer that is going to call this company every day until I get answers. However, I do feel like maybe my cover isn’t supposed to wear the way that it is. I feel that $300.00 is a lot to spend if you cannot use the product as it is designed. Also my cover is only 2.5 months old; I think that’s pretty bad. I use my bed a lot so the cover does get rolled up a few times a week. Has anyone had this type of problem before? I guess there are many products you can use to “Condition” your tonneau cover, is it really required? We will see what happens; maybe Ed will call me back and tell me he’s sending me a new cover.

2. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Mine does the same thing too (access litrerider)...I'm thinking about taking my buffer to it. I roll/unroll mine multiple times per week. I need to go get some 303 aerospace protectant. What did you use to condition yours?

3. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    I used 3M vinyl restore, it's ok. I don't really think I "conditioned" anything, looks like I armoralled it. Still no phone call back, I have a feeling I will be living with my white marks lol. Let me know how you make out with yours, I would love to get rid of these ugly marks.

4. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    CubanTaco

CubanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Scotts Plains of the West Fields in Elizabethtown
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 4X4 5sp
    I have an Extang Revolution. Same set up. Dirt and lighting highlight it most. I don't roll it up often so I don't know what difference it would make on mine. I can see the outline of the bars more on some days than others. I believe keeping it clean and conditioned makes a difference.

5. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    Hmmmmmm, I guess I will be conditioning my tonneau cover OFTEN lol. I'm sure after a few applications the marks will show up less and less. I will be checking into this Aero 303.

6. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    CubanTaco

CubanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Scotts Plains of the West Fields in Elizabethtown
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 4X4 5sp
    I bought a bottle of Tonno Tonic from Extang. I was pleasantly surprised. Made the cover look like new. Made the front bumper and fender flares look great too. Much lighter than Armor All without the greasy shine.

Products Discussed in

To Top