1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone ever had gasolin overflow at the pump?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by larry2375, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    larry2375

larry2375 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2010 mgm prerunner sport
    upper mx grillcraft, flowmaster super 44,bilstein 5100 @ 2.5,toytec 1/4" spacer driver side,nitto terra grappler 285/70/17,17x9 xd addicts, undercover tonneau cover, wet okoles, weathertech mats, toyota door sill protector, toyota bed mat, 30% tint, black toyota oem tube steps, 14" shorty antenna, trd skid plate, most important, viper 5902 with remote start and two dual shock sensors
    was filling up gas the other day and the pump didn't shut off. gas was overflowing and took me a few seconds to shut it off. i rinsed the side of the truck with water and noticed the gas ate away the wax and left the rubber trim dry. washed and re waxed that area when i got home and looked fine after that. is gasoline bad for the clear coat? hopefully no damage was done. did anyone ever had that happen to them? thanks.

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    same thing happened to me on my first gen. id say a couple gallons overflowed down the side of the truck. to make matters worse it had been raining for awhile so the gasoline just pooled out on top of the huge puddles at the gas station.

gasoline evaporates so quickly that i doubt it would cause any significant damage considering you werent rubbing it into the paint.

i didnt wash/wax my truck for a couple weeks after that and my truck was fine.

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    yes. i had that happen last winter when I was filling up my car (Subaru) - first and only time it ever happened to me and it freaked me out a bit. the people at the gas station were such a-holes about it I've never been back to that station, or that chain of gas stations since. The bad thing about my incident was that the nozzle didn't have the splash guard on it so when the pump overflowed it splashed on the car, me, my jacket and my shoes. Now before I pump I always make sure that the nozzle has a guard on it.

As far as clean up goes...try Simple Green concentrate. It works great on petroleum based spills, stains, etc. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly afterward!

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM
    and 1

and 1 New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    TRD intake, Borla exhaust
    Happened to me a couple of times, but you did the right thing once you got home, by washing and waxing the area that gas overflowed. The clear coat should be fine.

No guarantees, but to prevent this from happening again, keep the nozzle all the way in. There's a tubing sensor in the nozzle and if it goes bad every person who fills from that pump will get a surprise.

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i hear that to prevent further damage you must light a match at time of spill to help with the evap.....of said product

Products Discussed in

To Top