1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Detailing Report and a Question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Bighit, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Oct 19, 2008 at 8:42 PM
    Bighit

Bighit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD Short bed
    3" Tuff Country Lift + AAL rear Magnaflow muffler
    Question : What is the best way to get bugs off the front bumper? I'm assuming I could have just scrubbed it with a mesh lined bug sponge and some of the Meg's Gold Wash I bought, but I was in a bit of a hurry so I did a quick rinse at the local car wash and went to work (I know that was probably a big No No). I didn't clay the bumper as I was afraid to clay the plastic. Can you clay or liquid clay the bumpers on the color matching bumpers and fenders? I'm assuming you should not. I think I just overlooked it in the wash and I probably could have just scrubbed them off, but next time I want to make sure I do it right. Do the mesh lined bug sponges work well?
    I have always had the attitude that vehicles are a necessary evil to get from point A to B. My 08 Tacoma and TW are creating a monster. I have just never cared about maintaining a vehicle beyond basic washing until I got this Tacoma. I spent about a $100.00 on various detailing supplies today and went at it. Since my truck is relatively new, I decided to go with Turtle Wax Liquid Clay since I had read it was more gentle than traditional claying. I found that to be quite accurate as it worked well, but I could tell it might not get the job done on a tougher vehicle. Maybe I didn't scrub hard enough, but even after two scrubbings on the hood, there was a very very slight grit to the surface.
    I then applied a coat of Turtle Wax Ice Polish, then Meg's NXT 2.0 and finished it off with Meg's Ultimate quik Detailer. I was very impressed with all three products.
    My only dissappointment was my front bumper. Next time I want to get it right.
    I'm planning on perfecting my technique on my wifes Camry, My mother in laws Altima and my moms Avalon. I figure I'll learn a few things and score some points with the women in the process. By the time I get back around to my Tacoma I ought to have this detailing stuff down pretty good.

Products Discussed in

To Top