Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/)
-   -   latex paint splatter removal (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/181110-latex-paint-splatter-removal.html)

Greensystemsgo 10-06-2011 08:35 AM

latex paint splatter removal

thousands of little dots of latex paint are on my tailgate, ive tried buffing when i did my debadge, which didnt help much. It did help on my ghosting, but still have quite a bit left.

Thoughts?

TheGloryFades 10-06-2011 09:15 AM

Clay bar maybe?

Pugga 10-06-2011 09:17 AM

Are you sure it's latex and not the 2 part epoxy they use for roadway striping? Either way, have you tried acetone, gasoline or something like goof off? You will need to wax the area when it's done because all of those will strip the wax off the clear coat. Clay bar might have even taken it off but I'd have my doubts if a buffer didn't do the trick.

Greensystemsgo 10-06-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 3829078)
Are you sure it's latex and not the 2 part epoxy they use for roadway striping? Either way, have you tried acetone, gasoline or something like goof off? You will need to wax the area when it's done because all of those will strip the wax off the clear coat. Clay bar might have even taken it off but I'd have my doubts if a buffer didn't do the trick.

it scratches off with your fingernail, but theirs THOUSANDS of little dots :(

Pugga 10-06-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo (Post 3829092)
it scratches off with your fingernail, but theirs THOUSANDS of little dots :(

If it comes off with your fingernail, try claybar. That's supposed to do a great job taking off things that are sitting on top of the clear coat. You'll have to detail the paint afterwards but it should remove the paint.

Boerseun 10-06-2011 09:28 AM

A belt sander will take it off.

But I won't recommend it.

Most types of paint thinner, acetone, goof-off etc. might damage your clearcoat so although it might work, I would try a small area first.
When I had my truck painted it came back with overspray all over the truck. I tried all kinds of solvent type products and even polish and could not get it off. I took it back to the painter and he was able to buff it off which appeared to be fairly effortlesly. He did use a power buffer (angle grinder attachment). Maybe this is what made the difference. I then used a clay bar after that and applied a good coat of wax.

Greensystemsgo 10-06-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boerseun (Post 3829118)
A belt sander will take it off.

But I won't recommend it.

Most types of paint thinner, acetone, goof-off etc. might damage your clearcoat so although it might work, I would try a small area first.
When I had my truck painted it came back with overspray all over the truck. I tried all kinds of solvent type products and even polish and could not get it off. I took it back to the painter and he was able to buff it off which appeared to be fairly effortlesly. He did use a power buffer (angle grinder attachment). Maybe this is what made the difference. I then used a clay bar after that and applied a good coat of wax.

Thats what i used to take off most of the ghosting on my emblems, buffer attachment on an angle grinder. Ill give the clay bar a shot and report back. thanks folks. any specific type/brand to reccomend?

mainewoodsballer 11-16-2011 07:26 PM

Squirt Liquid Clay Bar on it and rub it with a Clay Bar then wash it...will look mint!