Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/)
-   -   How do you guys wax your truck? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/182830-how-do-you-guys-wax-your-truck.html)

Oat 10-16-2011 02:05 PM

How do you guys wax your truck?

By hand, with buffer,...and what do you use?

tacotrd647 10-16-2011 02:20 PM

Try the detailing section.;)

raswank 10-16-2011 02:26 PM

On by hand, and off by buffer. And I use Collinite. AWESOME STUFF

Oat 10-16-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotrd647 (Post 3877069)
Try the detailing section.;)

didnt even see the detailing section, thanks ill pm a mod!

jivewalker 10-16-2011 02:50 PM

Wax on, then wax off....j/k...detailing section has a ton of info

austinstaco 10-16-2011 03:11 PM

Takes about 8 hrs start to finish, I do it every six months.

1. Mothers California Gold Car Wash
2. Mothers Clay Bar System
3. Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner (machine)
4. Mothers Sealer & Glaze (machine)
5. Mothers Carnuba Wax (machine)

Johns Taco 10-16-2011 03:15 PM

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...3-b3d95615.jpg

fletch aka 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Wax and remove by hand and then take the buffer to it.

Warputer 10-16-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinstaco (Post 3877250)

Jesus that's alot of shit! Me......perform step#5 after a quick wash....it's a truck, not a Porsche. :D

jivewalker 10-16-2011 04:06 PM

Here's my method:
  1. If it's totally disgusting, wash with Dawn, if not use a good name brand soap like gold class, etc.
  2. If surface is rough, use clay bar.
  3. If there is swirl marks, use a polish like Nu Finish
  4. TReat your trim before you wax, in case you slip
  5. Use a good carnuba wax last
I do it all by hand. Here's the most important thing, your wash mit must be clean and have never touched the ground. Same with buffing and drying rags. Post pictures when done!

PolishAndWax.com 10-17-2011 05:51 AM

Spray on, wipe off. 20 minutes to do my whole truck.

Airun 10-17-2011 08:47 AM

I've tried alot of the spray synth wax products and they all seem worthless. Finally tried the carnuba spray (Eagle One iirc) and I'm pleeased. I usually use a sealer before winter hits.

macgyver 10-17-2011 08:54 AM

Porter Cable 7424 polisher. Once you go to a machine, you will never wax by hand again. I do wax hard to reach places by hand though (grill & foglight holes)

PolishAndWax.com 10-17-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airun (Post 3880126)
I've tried alot of the spray synth wax products and they all seem worthless. Finally tried the carnuba spray (Eagle One iirc) and I'm pleeased. I usually use a sealer before winter hits.

Ours is a Carnauba product, similar to Eagle One.

TacomaPrime 10-17-2011 10:26 AM

same here. PC 7424.
Usually wash with a high quality soap. Dry with microfiber towels. If I need to claybar I will. Then take out swirl marks with Klasse all in one, and finally, apply two coats of Klasse sealant.

4Wheelin4Banger 10-17-2011 10:36 AM

http://www.pimpartworks.com/images/a...rgepreview.jpg

808TRDTaco10 10-17-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jivewalker (Post 3877454)
Here's my method:
  1. If it's totally disgusting, wash with Dawn, if not use a good name brand soap like gold class, etc.
  2. If surface is rough, use clay bar.
  3. If there is swirl marks, use a polish like Nu Finish
  4. TReat your trim before you wax, in case you slip
  5. Use a good carnuba wax last
I do it all by hand. Here's the most important thing, your wash mit must be clean and have never touched the ground. Same with buffing and drying rags. Post pictures when done!

I've heard that using dawn soap on auto paint removes any existing wax and can dull the paint.

To answer the OP's question, I wax by hand with microfiber towels; one towel to apply and one towel to remove

Boerseun 10-17-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 (Post 3881076)
I've heard that using dawn soap on auto paint removes any existing wax and can dull the paint.

Dawn soap (or any similar dish soap) will remove the wax, which is why you have to wax it after the cleaning. Only if you wash with dish soap and do not wax it afterwards, i.e. not protect the paint against the elements, will it dull the paint. The dish soap itself will not dull the paint, and it might actually be a good thing to remove the old wax since small particles and dirt gets imbedded in the wax (which is why the clay bar is a good thing also).

I use automotive car wash soap which includes liquid wax for regular washes when I do not have time to wax afterwards and then a couple times a year do the whole dish soap to strip the wax, clay bar, and reapply new wax routine.

jivewalker 10-17-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boerseun (Post 3881196)
Dawn soap (or any similar dish soap) will remove the wax, which is why you have to wax it after the cleaning. Only if you wash with dish soap and do not wax it afterwards, i.e. not protect the paint against the elements, will it dull the paint. The dish soap itself will not dull the paint, and it might actually be a good thing to remove the old wax since small particles and dirt gets imbedded in the wax (which is why the clay bar is a good thing also).

I use automotive car wash soap which includes liquid wax for regular washes when I do not have time to wax afterwards and then a couple times a year do the whole dish soap to strip the wax, clay bar, and reapply new wax routine.

^^^exactly...good to get the contaminants and old wax off first if needed, then sart from fresh with clay, polish, wax...then in the furutre, use a good soap that wont remove as much wax and re-wax afterwards.

Xewkija631 10-18-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinstaco (Post 3877250)

What kind of machine do you use?