Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/)
-   -   Weathertech vent's & bug guard (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/238345-weathertech-vents-bug-guard.html)

wags 09-09-2012 05:39 AM

Weathertech vent's & bug guard

My last 2 vehicles I owned were equiped with Weatherguard floor mats or trunk mats. All were durable, easy to maintain, excellent fit, and basically maintenance free. I'm now thinking about purchasing for the first time window vents and bug/rock guard for my 2012 Tacoma 4x4. I'm tired of getting water in vehicle when just cracking window for ventalation during a light rain. And I believe the hood guard will help on keeping the bugs in check via my windshield.

Anyone like Weathertech, or have other idea's on another top name brand of the products I just mentioned? The $60 for both items is within reason and not an issue. Thanks!

Dadic 78 09-09-2012 07:56 AM

I've got AVS window vents, and bug deflector on my taco, and I'm happy with both. Weathertech is a good name though, and I'd imagine their product to be just as good as AVS. My only personal preference is that the window vents be adhesive-bonded to the outside of the window frame, as opposed to some which slide into the window frame channel. But that's just personal preference...

Madjik_Man 09-09-2012 08:37 AM

I have AVS in channel window vents. Love them.

Whatever you get, do in-channel window vents

wags 09-11-2012 05:14 AM

I ended up ordering the Weathertech window vents (in window channel)and bug shield. I will post my thoughts once they arrive and are installed.

wags 09-12-2012 04:49 PM

The window vents and bug deflector arrived today! 2 days turn around is outstanding. Went directly through Weathertech. Will install tomorrow on my day off with results and feedback. 2 days turn around........ wow.

us3rname 09-12-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madjik_Man (Post 5663953)
I have AVS in channel window vents. Love them.

Whatever you get, do in-channel window vents

Do you get any wind noise with the in-channel vents?

wrmathis 09-12-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by us3rname (Post 5683237)

i dont really get them. and i love the weathertech in channel vent visors

wags 09-13-2012 07:33 AM

This morning I installed the Weathertech window vents and bug deflector. Directions were simple and direct with no hidden surprises during installation. Fit, finish and quality were impressive. I'd been more pleased if product was made in USA, but was manufactured in Germany which is way better in my opinon than China. Haven't done road test for noise, but when I get out and there are any issues I will post them.

Madjik_Man 09-13-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by us3rname (Post 5683237)

No more when I had the taped on to the door frame.

A lot less than no vents

wags 09-28-2012 05:05 PM

A quick and honest update: I took my Tacoma on a 4hr road trip last weekend. Mainly interstate and in the rain. The Weathertech window guards worked as I expected. No rain inside the vehicle while window's were brought down about 2". Fantastic. When rain stopped, hardly any bugs peppering my windshield. A few of course, but nothing like before I purchased the hood guard. Both Weathertech item's have turned out to be a good investment for my Tacoma.

Crusher69 10-13-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 5759151)
A quick and honest update: I took my Tacoma on a 4hr road trip last weekend. Mainly interstate and in the rain. The Weathertech window guards worked as I expected. No rain inside the vehicle while window's were brought down about 2". Fantastic. When rain stopped, hardly any bugs peppering my windshield. A few of course, but nothing like before I purchased the hood guard. Both Weathertech item's have turned out to be a good investment for my Tacoma.

its on my mod list now

CDNTACO 11-04-2012 04:24 PM

I installed the stone/bug guard today...still waiting for the window guards. 6 - 8 week backorder when I bought them 3 weeks ago so hopefully I get them soon.

Concerning the stone/bug deflector, do I need to install the 4 little bump stops on the hood or is that overkill? It seems pretty solid and I can't imagine how it could make contact on the hood?

TACO TX 11-04-2012 04:48 PM

:worthless:

CDNTACO 11-06-2012 07:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. :p
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit. BTW, temps are about 38 degrees Farenheit here now...so the winter boots are on with the 2007 Steelies. Got pooched on the lug nuts and can't figure out the lug size that will work to keep the centre cap on tight..so I left the caps off. just in case your wondering.... LOL

b0ules 11-07-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDNTACO (Post 5951257)
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit.

I didn't install them on my '06 either - zero issues. When I got mine a couple of years ago, there wasn't a strip included to protect the paint. Just pulled the deflector off last weekend to have a look for the first time since installed during the spring/summer of '09, and there's zero issue with the paint where the deflector touches it. I think it's got everything to do with the hood holding it tight against the headlights and grill - no rubbing = no paint wear.

Cheers,
Marc

CDNTACO 11-08-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ules (Post 5958320)
I didn't install them on my '06 either - zero issues. When I got mine a couple of years ago, there wasn't a strip included to protect the paint. Just pulled the deflector off last weekend to have a look for the first time since installed during the spring/summer of '09, and there's zero issue with the paint where the deflector touches it. I think it's got everything to do with the hood holding it tight against the headlights and grill - no rubbing = no paint wear.

Cheers,
Marc

Thanks Marc.
That's good to know. I figure it's a generic installation kit along with the instructions for the most part. I've seen some deflectors on other vehicles where it's more or less a straight piece of plastic which under a wind load probably does flutter in the wind making contact. With the Tacoma, since the deflector follows the curves/height of the hood it essentially gives it extra strength IMO.

car78412 01-21-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDNTACO (Post 5951257)
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit. BTW, temps are about 38 degrees Farenheit here now...so the winter boots are on with the 2007 Steelies. Got pooched on the lug nuts and can't figure out the lug size that will work to keep the centre cap on tight..so I left the caps off. just in case your wondering.... LOL

I am on the fence with getting this. My 03 developed rust where the stones hit the hood, mainly above the headlights. After researching all of the different models on the market, I like the Weathertech the best. Two questions, How well does it fit with the supports wedged between the grill/headlights and the hood? The spacing is mighty small. Also, how does it affect the rubber gasket on those areas?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../P10001761.jpg

mattmxracer 01-21-2013 03:52 AM

I like my in channel weathertech rain guards but I have one complaint. The driver side window is fine but the passenger window struggles when going up and down. I rolled the window down on that side and then rolled it back up and it actually took the tint off the window it was so tight. My neighbor has the same issue with his. Anyone else?

pinktaco808 01-22-2013 09:37 AM

cut or put some type of lube on it

mattmxracer 01-22-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinktaco808 (Post 6316178)
cut or put some type of lube on it

That just seems like a poor design for weathertech. I would hate to put lube on the window.