1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Underbody Cleaning - especially in the winter?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Janster, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm bored & up early so I thought I'd ask this question for the hell of it.....

Here in PA, there's not a lot of snow but a hell-of-a-lot of salt on the roads. The salt spray is more of a PITA than anything else. It's not uncommon to refill your windshield washer resevoir a couple times during the winter.

So - does anyone have the undersides of their trucks sprayed off in the winter? Any carwash places have that available and is it even worth it?

I hate car washes unless I do it myself. In the summer, I've actually put a rain suite on and rolled under my jeep to spray the mud off the underside. But then again, there's probably about 24+ or more of clearance under the frame.
    Because the salt spray drives me crazy...I'd take the truck into an automated underbody wash just for peace of mind.

2. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Damn,
    You mean I gotta wait until the spring time to clean off all this salt & crap on the under-carriage? :(

3. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    salt on the roads? :confused: that's crazy talk, salt belongs on french fries.

I say you should wait for a warm day and then park over a sprinkler.

4. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Janster, I do the self serve car wash every so often (once a week or so) weather permitting. The amount of salt & dirt that comes out of the wheel wells is amazing. It even hides behind the badges (good reason to debadge :D) The crap ruined my popnlock even with the bestest of care..... salt sux! Unless of course its blizzard time and icy, than I love it. :p Can't win and Spring is in May for me. Lot of winter left.

5. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    any good carwash place should have the jets of water that shoot up from the ground, theyre usually the first thing that the car goes through. i know what you mean about the salt, it drives me crazy. all the city workers care about is getting their overtime pay so they go around re-salting roads that clearly dont need it.

6. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
  7. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've gone once this winter - it's just been too damn cold to even use the self serve washes. Any warmer chance I get, I'm usually busy doing something else. Oh well....This spring when the hose is thawed out, I'll just have to do a super cleaning of the underside and consider it good enough.

Isocoee - Yeah, I hear ya!! We don't get a whole lotta snow but they surely know how to dump the salt everywhere for just 1" of snow. :rolleyes:

8. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    There is a Lazer Automatic carwash that does a pretty good job of getting the undercarraige in Mill Hall (Fred knows). I use that a few times a winter. As a matter of fact I am due for one now.

9. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I sent an e-mail to our local Cloister. They didn't have anything listed for underbody cleaning - so we'll find out.

10. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  11. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    yeah joey dicello used to own that and i would get free washes. no more though:mad:. i know as soon as spring hits the pickups going up on the lift and im power washing the whole under body.

12. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Any time it warms up enough, I'll go to the carwash. I use the automatic touchless ones that just use high pressure soap/water. They usually have an undercarriage option. I've taken the Subaru a couple times already....including Superbowl Sunday when the temps were in the high 40's.

13. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    You know, I sort of had an idea. What if you went to Home Depot, bought some plumbling and made yourself a sort of washer wand that bends up. That way you can just walk around the sides, stick it under there and wash it off? We don't have salt out here cause its too warm, but I use a long handled brush and duct-tape the hose to it.

The other idear would be to move down South and avoid the salt alltogether.

14. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I did the laser carwash last year after winter with the underbody spray.

15. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I read on here a while back about someone using one of those tractor lawn sprinklers that move, and running it under the truck. Sounded like a pretty good idea to me.

16. Feb 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    That's me :), sad part is I broke it.
    But bought a cheap one, one with a number of holes in it that spray up. Worked like a charm Sunday.
    Ran a "Y" on the hose, so hook up a smaller piece. Let it run while I washed the rest of the truck. If you set it right, it will get ALL the underneath.
    My driveway has a slight grade, so it helps a bunch.

17. Feb 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I think I'm going to try that when it warms up a bit here in the Northeast.

18. Feb 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    You would think someone would come up with an idea and make some $$ off it. You don't need alot of pressure (except for alot of mud). Plus it does all the work for you, worse case you just pull the hose a few feet when ever you want to move the water.

19. Feb 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    LOL! I haven't seen one of those things in years. Do they still sell them? When I was a kid, I never knew what in the hell those things were supposed to be used for.

20. Feb 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Around here, the coin car washes all have the flxible wands that you can angle up under with two hands and blast the heck out of the underside. My truck is undercoated / treated with oil and looks shiny after i get the salt crust off.

I usually bring a 5 gallon (re-capped drywall joint compound) bucket of slightly warm car wash subs and do a hand wash between the 1st round of spraying it all off and a final rinsing off of the soap from the hand wash. I apply wax with the same wand after rinsing and a few more quarters rinse the extra wax off.

Applying wax over a vehicle that is not hand washed is and still has a dirt film doesn't make a lot of sense.

After i pull out of the bay, i fset up camp off to the side somewaht and dry it with the wet chamois and dry towel i brought to seal the deal.

But beware, doing this with the temp below about 25-27 degrees results in a film of ice before i can dry it.

Do what you have to do to get through the winter and limit the potential for damage. Those lawn sprinklers don't compare to a good power washing of the underside. Better than nothing i guess, but they are too weak and not concentrated enough where needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top