1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW PAINT JOB

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bowzerdoo77, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 [OP] U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    I have a 2006 tacoma its Rad Red it still looks great for 7 years old, but the rock chips from tires and just being on the road 150K have taken its toll. My Question is has anybody had their truck repainted the same color? how much should I expect to pay. I want a good job I only drive it like 100 miles a month or less now so this one will last a lot longer.

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport Speedway Blue
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts 285/70/17, LED bed lights by tacodane, nfab steps, salex organizer, bed extender, pioneer head unit, satoshi grill, tacoma trucks sunshade, more to come...
    I have a friend who just got back from a deployment and asked me to recommend a reputable place for a new paint job. He has a 2005 DBL Cab Off Road in Silver Streak Mica. He went to 3 different places...he had no real huge paint problems...just rock chips like you and regular wear and tear including a little neglect on his part. The shop I sent him to is repainting the entire truck for around $2200. Another shop estimated closer to $3k and even a bit over. The place he is taking it to told him they could fix the paint without a paint job but he chose to just start over. It will probably be hard to get a nice paint job for less than $2k I would think, unless you have some inside connections somewhere. He is due to drop it off next week I think...supposed to take close to 2 weeks...maybe less depending on how busy the shop is.

3. Jun 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Randumtask

Randumtask Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    ^yea that all sounds pretty close to what I'd expect to pay for a full respray.

4. Jun 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Do the paint job yourself if you know how to

5. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    NateW

NateW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake
    Vehicle:
    08 Trd off road
    I have rock chips on my hood and one on my fender that went through the primer and rusted. I wonder how much that's gonna cost

6. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Honestly the amount of issues that can come from a paint job is pretty unbelievable. Your paint will almost always be dryer than the OEM paint job (orange peel), there will most likely be dust nibs all over the car, possible runs, possible colour matching issues, and the list goes on. It might be better to just live with the chips.

7. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    NateW

NateW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake
    Vehicle:
    08 Trd off road
    I would do that as long as I knew the rust was stopped. But Im not sure how to make sure that it is

8. Jun 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    If you get some touch up paint/clear coat and touch up the chips it helps a lot.

I'm getting all my flares/front bumper done at the shop I work at just because I will be dealing with all of the imperfections that will be in the paint. If I couldn't get it done for a case of beer and a few hours taking the bumper off and on I would just go buy a steel one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    NateW

NateW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake
    Vehicle:
    08 Trd off road
    Thanks. I'll try that. I will probably haveto sand off and treat the surface rust first. I should have done the touch up a long time ago!!

Products Discussed in

To Top