Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/)
-   -   Buff out plastic interior scratches? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/267839-buff-out-plastic-interior-scratches.html)

iTz IAN 03-12-2013 05:57 AM

Buff out plastic interior scratches?

2 Attachment(s)
When I bought my truck there were a few scratches on the glovebox about 1/2mm deep, on the scratches theres fraying plastic that makes them more noticeable, it seems that light buffing may remove this.

I'm trying to see if anyone has successfully removed these scratches and how.

I'm tempted to take a buffing wheel to it, but it may melt the plastic

Thanks

iTz IAN 03-12-2013 04:55 PM

pics are up

Airun 03-12-2013 04:57 PM

subbed, some milder versions as well

EDJY 03-12-2013 04:58 PM

good luck. I got some scratches like these and some in the dark material above the glove box I wish I could get rid of.

Psynx 03-12-2013 11:57 PM

i would try this first since its inexpensive to try, works on most scuffs i come across

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_plast...p_cleaner.html

PolishAndWax.com 03-13-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTz IAN (Post 6575971)
When I bought my truck there were a few scratches on the glovebox about 1/2mm deep, on the scratches theres fraying plastic that makes them more noticeable, it seems that light buffing may remove this.

I'm trying to see if anyone has successfully removed these scratches and how.

I'm tempted to take a buffing wheel to it, but it may melt the plastic

Thanks

I would try the hair dryer method touted by several others (I've never tried it though). Search this site for a thread on it.

I've tried buffing plastic and most of the time it doesn't go well.

Psynx 03-13-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com (Post 6583328)
I would try the hair dryer method touted by several others (I've never tried it though). Search this site for a thread on it.

I've tried buffing plastic and most of the time it doesn't go well.

What machine and polish were you using?
I've polished gg3 da and use a black finishing foam with plastic x and worked fine

whahahajr 03-13-2013 02:58 PM

This may sound crazy but I've always used a lighter on scratches. Don't let it sit just go back and forward with a lighter.

PolishAndWax.com 03-13-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whahahajr (Post 6583988)
This may sound crazy but I've always used a lighter on scratches. Don't let it sit just go back and forward with a lighter.

Similar to the hair dryer concept. A bit riskier though.

PolishAndWax.com 03-13-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psynx (Post 6583972)
What machine and polish were you using?
I've polished gg3 da and use a black finishing foam with plastic x and worked fine

A rotary...which is what I think the OP inferred ("wheel").

koco 03-20-2013 11:21 PM

Put some carburetor cleaner on a cloth and wipe it quickly. Sometimes it will melt the plastic enough to level out the scratches. It's slightly risky, but it has worked for me on an 87 Toyota pickup. Just make sure it's all solid colored plastic, and not paint on black plastic like in the 1st gen. Tacomas.

WhiteTacoma09 06-09-2013 07:25 AM

had a pretty good scuff in the back seat area, should of took pics. used a mini torch, used a good distance and did small strokes across. worked like a charm!!

cheeseit 06-09-2013 02:18 PM

I've used the hair dryer and gotten some scratches out. It doesn't really get them out but it does bring the colour back and hides them really well. Just use your a fingernail to get rid of the plastic that is frayed and then take the heat gun to them.

I wouldn't try polishing them that could be a huge headache if you fling polish or you could ruin the colour of the plastic or something. Getting polish on pieces of the exterior like the top of the bed liner is a massive PITA so I would avoid polishing plastics like the plague. Just the though of getting polish all over the seats and the dash makes me cringe.

panicfan 02-03-2014 02:20 PM

not a DIY idea, but I had some removed when I got my 09 a couple months back. The dealer said they would call dent wizard, but wouldn't make any promises.
They fixed it and I can't tell where they were. Removed scratches from grey and black sections....