1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Restore Plastic Shine

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Fiend13, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    The fender flares on my wife's Jeep are fading bad from the sun. They were black but now they like an ashy grey. I have the driver side taped off right to plasti dip them but before I did that I was wondering if any of y'all knew of any good products to use to help restore the finish. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Meguire's ultimate black.
    My wife's jeep does the same thing. A couple of applications and then you redo it after you wash. Gas spill will wipe it out so be careful. But works for me

3. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport Speedway Blue
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts 285/70/17, LED bed lights by tacodane, nfab steps, salex organizer, bed extender, pioneer head unit, satoshi grill, tacoma trucks sunshade, more to come...
    When I had my jeep TJ I taped off the flares and bought some of the Rustoleum truck bed coating and sprayed them. It leaves a matte, rough finish but I liked it simply because it looked a little more rugged and never looked like I doused it in armor all or the like. It was very popular among jeep owners on wranglerforum.com so I tried it. I really liked the outcome so I painted my headlight bezels, front off road bumper, my door handles and windshield wiper arms with it. It was easy to paint using this stuff and if it got dirty you just used a scrub brush and it came right off. Easy to touch up too. All I did to prepare the flares was use a paint preparation wipe made by duplicolor I think and wiped them all down and then painted them. I was never a fan of really shiny stuff armor all wise so this was great. Never had to armor all anything but the tires after that.

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport Speedway Blue
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts 285/70/17, LED bed lights by tacodane, nfab steps, salex organizer, bed extender, pioneer head unit, satoshi grill, tacoma trucks sunshade, more to come...
    Forgot, but a lot of guys on wranglerforum.com would just simply get a couple cans of the trim and bumper paint and reprint the flares altogether. Just a thought. Either way it was awesome not to have to touch the flares or the faded door handles with protectant after that.

5. Mar 25, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
  6. Mar 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    Funny how often this comes up....As a Jeep owner for 20 years, the hands down solution is a product called "Forever Black," a dye....won't wash off like all the "protectant" spray on junk, and won't scratch off like paint when you hit the trail. Quadratec seems to have a good deal on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top