1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powerful buffer needed

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by DevL, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Powerful buffer needed. Something that can can be used for getting DEEP scratches out with minimum time. Something dangerous. Something that will make me reclear my truck every couple years. What buffer and what wheel? Need something limited in size to get in tight areas. What compound, polish, wax combo would be fastest? Tired of multiple hours multiple days with weak buffers and polishes after every off-road trip. What do I need? Not concerned with being delicate or showroom appearances.

2. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You need Line-X :D

3. Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    You are asking the wrong question.

You should be asking how you can improve your technique.

But if you want the most cut, get a dewalt or makita multiple speed rotary along with a twisted wool pad. Throw in Menzerna Power Gloss and coupled with your lack of ability you will have your ruined clear coat that you desire.

4. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    DevL

Member:
    The orbital buffer I have is so weak it wont even spin on the paint... it just jiggles. I have several scratches all the way through my clear I need to blend down... and that was before my first buffing so the clear has no chance of survival. No need for condesending snarky remarks. I have been driving with deep scratches from the Toyota trail at Hidden Falls on my lower door side for over a year. Was given a polisher/buffer and it was no more help than doing everything by hand. If anyone has REAL suggestions on tequinique or materials I would be most grateful. The scratches are from siding sideways into a log that had been cut with a chainsaw on a steep off camber section. The door metal was slightly dented too. Trail is WAY too tight for a Toyota and gave me scratches, AKA red neck pin stripes, that are small, over 100% of truck and from one end to the other. I have those oput to an acceptable degree. Just want to be able to get scratches out in one 4 hour session after a trip or two. Cost of materials is not a real object, just want best tequnique and tools. This truck is not like the black Vette I washed by hand every other day and fretted over the slightest swirl marks. Currently an offroad trip requires 4 days of washing and polishing to get back to normal. Id like to do it in 4 hours.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    First off if the scratches are through the clear like you say then you will "blend" them down. That panel or panels will need to be painted and cleared. If you can catch them with your nail your are SOL. You can try to use a 1500 grit sand paper with a block and lightly wet sand on the areas. Then you can buff with an actual rotary buffer because it sounds like you have a wax applicator. I use 3M Rotary buffer with a wool pad and their white cutting compound as step one then go to their black pad with black compound. After that is all done there is one more pad, blue, with a blue compound. I don't know how much money you have to drop on this right now. I highly doubt with the way you described your scratches that a buffer will take them out. It certainly won't take out any dents.

6. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    DevL

Member:
    Not only can you feel the scrathes with a fingernail but in the right light you see wavyness to the metal where parts of the log dented the scratched areas. This is fine... noone notices it on the lower door section where the paint is over the bumpy bedliner type material. The white scrapes is what people see. I get scrapes on the clear that can be felt every offroad trip. I do not intend to reclear and repaint every offroad trip. That is why I worded my post the way I did. I dont even care if I cut through the clear... I know it is toast. I has been toast from day one. For a single day the scratches look removed... then it looks like the wax dries out and the white scratches reappear over about a week. I have buffed so that you cannot really feel them anymore... but you still see the white.

I agree that what I have seems like a wax applicator... it was great for that. It sucked trying to remoive enough clear to get out scratches you can feel. Can you provide me with a link to a propper buffer and compound I can order online? I work a lot and have very limited extra time. I spent one of my few days off last week buffing and polishing my truck and still dont have all the scratches out. Want to be able to get scratches off hte black plastic mirrors too. Compound seems to get most of them out.

7. Apr 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You should check out a kit like Dr. Colorchip to help fill in those deep digs. It will fill the cracks and blends in very well. Then use your buffer to even things out.

8. Apr 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Look at autogeek.net
    Everything you could dream of about detailing is on that website.

9. Apr 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    What brand is the orbital buffer you have?

10. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I have a Dewalt Wildcat. It is a 9" buffer/sander. It's a torquey SOB. If you press to hard with the buffing pad, you're taking paint off.

11. May 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    The DeWalt is a good one (I'm a DeWalt fan and most of my power tools are DeWalt), but another good choice is the Makita 9227CX3 (it was a gift). It's a beast if you want it to be. It's not cheap, but I couldn't be happier with it.

Makita 9227CX3

Products Discussed in

To Top