1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping rust off chrome...for good

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Goosedog, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jun 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    Goosedog

Goosedog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The center caps on my Mickey Thompson rims keep rusting, they are chrome vs the rims being aluminum. I used to steel wool them, then a light coat of WD40 would keep the rust away for awhile but now I want something more permanent. Has anyone tried cleaning rusted chrome really well and then shoot with a clear enamel or laquer? I like to hear testimonials before I rattle-can anything.

2. Jun 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I think the most important thing is to keep them clean. If you let all the brake dust and crap from the road sit on there is when they start pitting. We have like 90s civics come in with nearly mint rims and then 2010 BMWs that are just pitted to shit and fubar.

Idk how well the clear would hold up too. Any rocks being kicked up would chip it and start peeling it.

3. Jun 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clear coat sounds like a good idea, it holds up well. I Plasti-Dipped my wheels and used Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel over top so it wouldn't peel off. It's holding up great. But cleaning them once a week or so will also make a huge difference

Products Discussed in

To Top