1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powerwasher against salt/rust

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bldegle2, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 [OP] OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    California until the last 3.5 years so I had no need to worry about frame issues...

Now in Virginia and they use salt and sand on the roads at the slightest possibility of ice/snow or sleet and I have been out in it more than ever this year compared to previous years....

Question, how many of you use a power washer to clean your truck, this includes powerwashing the undercarriage, suspension, back of wheels, etc.....

I do this religiously when the weather permits during the winter, obviously need a day that is not freezing...

And, any input from people that have done this as far as delaying/helping with the general rust issues, help, or not? Or does it screw with your undercoating?

Stuff like that?

2. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    LukeBo4x4

LukeBo4x4 The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    Big Island,Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD ext cab
    OME 882s, wheelers 5 leaf pack w/aal, ARB front bumper, 305/70/16 nitto mud grapplers,pro comp 7069s, Grey wire mod.
    i do it all the time

3. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    I am in New York, same scenario. Every day above 32 degrees I grab the house and do a very good flush of the entire underside, wheel wells, engine bay etc.

Sometimes you think you are done, then all of a sudden you find a dirty spot where dirt/salt was sitting the the water fall turns brown again.

Hit the underbody car washes regularly, keep it clean and in spring touch it up!

I fluid filmed my entire truck back in October to prep for winter. The water still beads off almost everywhere and in the spring I plan to get under the truck spray it with degreaser to remove all the fluid film and hose the crap out of it. Grind any surface rust off the truck. Then I will coat the area with VHT epoxy chassis paint and redo the entire fluid film process. If you keep up on this you can keep the underside of your truck looking new.

If you do it 1-2 times a year you should be able to keep up with it. If you wait 5 years and try to start you would have to grind down your entire undercarriage.

Also my truck is not undercoated. Undercoating has to be touched up yearly. If not touched up, it flakes off and the dirt/moisture/salt gets under the undercoating and spreads and rots everything out even quicker.

4. Feb 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    I pressure wash the undercarriage in addition to the body of my vehicles once a week regardless of the season. I find a foam cannon loaded with a quality shampoo does a nice job of breaking up the gunk. It is a challenge this time of year, especially this year!

I see you are in Floyd VA. I was born and raised in Carroll County. I moved to the coast in 1998. I miss the mountains sometimes.

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 [OP] OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    "I see you are in Floyd VA. I was born and raised in Carroll County. I moved to the coast in 1998. I miss the mountains sometimes."

The only drawback to the area I live is the dang Lymes disease, already had two bouts with the nasty bug already...otherwise, nice place to live...

6. Feb 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    If I sprayed of underneath my truck when we got a warm day, it would be an exercise in futility. If it's warm, the snow on the side of the road melts and goes in the road, mixing with the sand/salt thats already there. As soon as I would wash off the underneath, the crap gets right back on there.

I Fluid Filmed this November. As long as the stuff is still there, I have protection. I give a thorough wash off in Spring. Maybe I'll hit it again with FF.

You'll have it easier in VA to rinse off your underside, but up north, it is a fool's errand to try to keep up with it.

7. Feb 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    When I lived up in north in PA, I built a PVC ladder frame that slid under my truck and the wife's car, the frame had little holes in it facing up and when I attached a hose it sprayed the under side. Every time the weather warmed up and the snow and slush was mostly gone I would just slide it under and let it go for 10 - 15 minutes. Then in the spring I would do a crawl under inspection to cleanup and treat any rust spots. This seemed to work real well.

8. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 [OP] OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    maju,

Kudos on the PVC ladder frame idea, gonna give that a shot...love to hear new ideas from members...

[​IMG]

9. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    I drive on the beach at least once a week, I try to wash under there with a hose or power washer when I can.

Looked under the truck today and my rear diff has rust, wondering if I should spray rustoleum on it, or sand it down first. How to deal with it?

10. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere
    even if the roads are gross I still try to get my truck into the shop for a rinse at the very least - including undercarriage.

All of my clients recently I've been doing my best to get underneath and pressure rinse.

11. Mar 14, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Sand as much as you can off and spray away IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top