1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nerf Bar Coating

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Geo Taco, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Geo Taco

Geo Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subie Impreza
    Black Softopper
    Question for those of you out there:
    I have used the Rustoleum truck bed coating on my avid bars and they have not help up at all. I ran them over the summer and then sanded and reapplied where necessary before winter, but the coating is not holding up at all here.

Original prep included:
    1) Clean bare metal
    2) Use etch primer
    3) 3 coats Rust-Oleum bedliner

Reapplication Prep:
    1) Sand to bare metal
    2) Clean
    3) Etch primer
    4) Apply 3 coats Rust-Oleum bedliner

I would like to hear what others think about Line-X, Herculiner, and Raptor Liner

I called local Line-X and they want $300 to spray them, which is a little rich for me.
    Herculiner looks to be about $90 for a gallon + Kit which should be fine on coverage.
    Raptor seems to run about $119 for the kit and again, coverage should be fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone

2. Apr 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    Ran into the same problems wiht my NFAB bars and westin bull bar.. sanded them down last summer sprayed them with bedliner and it looked great but when the new england winter hit them the paint came off and the rust was bigger and better then ever.. .I'm thinking of line'xing the wheel wells, nerf bars, and grill guard and seeing if I can talk the guy down a little bit..

3. May 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    Jffrobo

Jffrobo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    13 lb 4x4 sport
    I just purchased the avid light bar and sliders which I applied Herculiner in my garage and could not be happier with results.Prep is the key.Scuff them coarsely and wipe down with xylol.I put three coats and let sit for a week and so far so good.Has a nice gloss finish and looks great.

Products Discussed in

To Top