Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Discount Tire Direct

Notices

Question about tires and possible order

Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Question about tires and possible order

I have a 1998 X-Cab Tacoma TRD 4x4 that has Bilsteins 5100 on the front set at 2.5". The current tires are Maxiis Big Horns that are 32 x 11.5 x 15" on OEM 1998 rims. These tires are not hitting anything. They are getting cupped and vibrating the truck, so I am going to keep them for hunting season.

I have recently purchased a set of 16" OEM rims off a 2010 TRD Offroad Tacoma. I would like to purchase the largest Nitto Grappler that will fit on my truck without hitting the original control arms and etc.

What size tire do you recommend?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about tires and possible order-tacoma-1.jpg   Question about tires and possible order-tacoma-2.jpg   Question about tires and possible order-tacoma-3.jpg   Question about tires and possible order-2010-16-trd-off-road-rims.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure the backspacing on the 2nd gen wheels but you should be able to go 255/85/16 (33" tire). I would not go 285/75/16
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
The 1st Gen wheels have less BS than the 2nd Gens so you might end up rubbing the UCAs with a wide tire.
I'm running 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs on my 2nd Gen.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
When i had 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 285/75/16 tires they were rubbing the frame at full lock.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Wheel and Tire Guys
Discount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant future

Discount Tire Direct's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the post.

The 2010 TRD wheels are 7" wide with a +30mm offset (5.25" BS) which like noted above will limit how wide you can go. If you're after the Terra Grappler A/T the biggest recommended size is 265/75-16. A test fit is recommended for this set-up as tire models/sizes are just like shoes, some brands run larger while others run smaller even in the same size.