Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Downsouth Motorsports

Notices

Longest travel for "lifted" OEM applications?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Longest travel for "lifted" OEM applications?

When comparing King, Fox, and Icon front, remote reservoir coilovers for for "lifted" applications and use with after market upper control arms on 2nd Gen Tacomas:

Which has the most and least travel? If you have stats to share, that would be even better.

Same question for rear shocks.

My concern (possibly unfounded) is that extended shafts might be used using a relatively stock shock body to make shocks fit, vs a custom and longer shock, resulting in less travel for some shocks vs others.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted applications, and extended travel are 2 different things. KING and ICON offer the lifted applications to accommodate drop bracket lifts, such as Procomp/Fabtech 6" lifts. Fox does not, but they do offer the extended travel. The actual travel specs are not published, but if you really think about it there won't be any huge difference between any of them. You only have a limited amount of space and geometry to work with...

Thanks,
Marco
Old 04-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Lifted applications, and extended travel are 2 different things. KING and ICON offer the lifted applications to accommodate drop bracket lifts, such as Procomp/Fabtech 6" lifts. Fox does not, but they do offer the extended travel. The actual travel specs are not published, but if you really think about it there won't be any huge difference between any of them. You only have a limited amount of space and geometry to work with...

Thanks,
Marco
So if only doing a 2.5" lift with coilovers I dont need the lifted option... what about the rear? I am only going to do 2-3" lift with the leaves... would I be better off not getting the $200 "lifted" application shocks for the rear as well?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
And renaming that option for "drop bracket" application woud be much more clear than "lifted" application.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
So if only doing a 2.5" lift with coilovers I dont need the lifted option... what about the rear? I am only going to do 2-3" lift with the leaves... would I be better off not getting the $200 "lifted" application shocks for the rear as well?
Correct, you will get 2.5" of lift from the standard coil-overs. And as for the rear, the you will likely be fine with the standard rear shocks too; but check with the manufacturer of the leaf springs to see what extended & collapsed lengths they recommend. I know that the KINGs were bit long on the collapsed length to work with the All Pro 3" leaf springs.