LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Downsouth Motorsports

Notices

2nd Gen RCD/Bilstein 5100 Shocks

Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
I'm ready to get new shocks from you guys, but I have just a couple quick questions...

Truck Background:
- 2005 Access Cab SR5 4X4
- ~55,000 miles on the truck
- All original suspension parts
- Original 3 leaf pack in the rear (no TSB)
- The original 3 leaf spring pack in the rear is no longer arched, it sits neutral, with a slight 'W' look to it now

This is my daily driver and I commute about 90% highway miles, so a smooth ride over a 1 hour long drive is very important to me.

I don't off-road my truck (nor do I plan to start doing so). At most, I drive through the mountains and go camping, but nowhere that requires off-roading (at most, bumpy dirt service roads).

I DO however, load my motorcycle in the bed of the truck to take to the racetrack about once a month during the summer. I've noticed that when fully loaded (~500 lbs with gear), the rear sags slightly.

I want to be able to continue taking my bike to the track, but I don't really want to compromise ride quality seeing as 99% of my driving is daily highway commuting.

So I was thinking of doing your Bilstein 5100 special deal (all 4 shocks), and maybe a 4 spring leaf pack in the rear?!?!? Also, will my stock SR5 springs suffice for this (again, no lift, stock ride height)?

Do you think this would be a good setup for what I use the truck for? If not, can you give me some recommendations? I'd like to get this ordered and installed (I'll be installing myself) sooner rather than later, seeing as the racetrack has 1/2 price specials during the winter and I'm itching to take the bike out!

Thanks for your help, and thanks for being a great supporting vendor!

- Gary
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as Gary. Looking forward to your response.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogary View Post
I'm ready to get new shocks from you guys, but I have just a couple quick questions...

Truck Background:
- 2005 Access Cab SR5 4X4
- ~55,000 miles on the truck
- All original suspension parts
- Original 3 leaf pack in the rear (no TSB)
- The original 3 leaf spring pack in the rear is no longer arched, it sits neutral, with a slight 'W' look to it now

This is my daily driver and I commute about 90% highway miles, so a smooth ride over a 1 hour long drive is very important to me.

I don't off-road my truck (nor do I plan to start doing so). At most, I drive through the mountains and go camping, but nowhere that requires off-roading (at most, bumpy dirt service roads).

I DO however, load my motorcycle in the bed of the truck to take to the racetrack about once a month during the summer. I've noticed that when fully loaded (~500 lbs with gear), the rear sags slightly.

I want to be able to continue taking my bike to the track, but I don't really want to compromise ride quality seeing as 99% of my driving is daily highway commuting.

So I was thinking of doing your Bilstein 5100 special deal (all 4 shocks), and maybe a 4 spring leaf pack in the rear?!?!? Also, will my stock SR5 springs suffice for this (again, no lift, stock ride height)?

Do you think this would be a good setup for what I use the truck for? If not, can you give me some recommendations? I'd like to get this ordered and installed (I'll be installing myself) sooner rather than later, seeing as the racetrack has 1/2 price specials during the winter and I'm itching to take the bike out!

Thanks for your help, and thanks for being a great supporting vendor!

- Gary
Hi Guys,

Gary, thank you for the PM, because I hadn't seen this. Again...for all TW members that happen to read this; we don't spend a lot of time reading through threads on this site. The fastest way to get a response from us is a phone call. If you can't call, then a PM will be seen much sooner than a post in a thread.

Now....

The 5100s will work great for your Tacoma, with the stock springs. When set at the lowest setting, there will be no change in ride height. The ride will be much more stable, a little firmer on the street, but virtually no more body roll or brake dive.

As for the rear, the way you explained what's happening with your rear springs, is the exact reason the "TSB" ever came about. Many owners of these trucks were having issues with the rear end sagging far too much when loaded. Your best bet here, would be to replace your rear leaf springs. We don't offer any stock height replacements, but I'm sure some of the many TW members will be able to steer you in the right direction

I hope this helps, and if you need anything else or have more questions, please feel free to call us anytime, or send a PM.

Thank you,
-Marco @ DSM
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered mine this morning, only been a member for a few short weeks but can already tell DSM has the best prices and CS around ! Thanks DSM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
Dcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to beholdDcoma is a splendid one to behold
Name: Damon
Dcoma's Tacoma Gallery
I want to level out my 12 reg cab 4x4 will these billie 5100 be fine with stock springs etc? what would i need to set them at on front? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
Bikerdude103 is on a distinguished road

Name: Hugh
Bikerdude103's Tacoma Gallery
These are on my list of things to do to my truck
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey its Sonny,
Call the shop tomorrow 1-888-973-6967 and ask for me and I have an idea to get you handled....
Thanks,
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by slever View Post
Not Available, crap. Waiting for these to become available again. I got to spend my tax return on something and I need shocks.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Downsouth Motorsport

Yeah, they sat here few weeks, and then all of a sudden....we blew through 2 pallets of them in 2 weeks!! Per RCD, we should have some more by the 1st week of March, but no guarantees.

We do have the 'Bilstein' 5100s on the shelf, though. They're about $20 more for the set, after the discount. But if you don't wnat to wait, you can go with these... http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

-DSM
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
slever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to beholdslever is a splendid one to behold

Coast Guard: Aviation mantinance
slever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Hey its Sonny,
Call the shop tomorrow 1-888-973-6967 and ask for me and I have an idea to get you handled....
Thanks,
Sonny
Thanks Sonny, I'll try to call tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, DSM carries rear lift components? I'd love to order my AAL from them whenever I order the 5100s....
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
PinkTaco24 is on a distinguished road
PinkTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #33
Downsouth Motorsport

This just in...

The Good News: We're picking up 30 complete sets of shocks from RCD tomorrow.

The Bad News: According to our rep at RCD, after this shipment, it's anyone's guess as to when we will get more. If you've been waiting, now's the time. They have been released on the site, see post #1 for instructions & link to order.

Thank you,
-DSM
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #34
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcoma View Post
I want to level out my 12 reg cab 4x4 will these billie 5100 be fine with stock springs etc? what would i need to set them at on front? Thanks in advance!
These will be good if you're just looking to level it out. If you have no tsb .85 should be close to level, with the tsb 1.75 should be close (its not like there's in between options) unless you get new springs up front, or use some 1/4" spacers to make a difference
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #35
Downsouth Motorsport

Good morning TW,

Just a quick reminder...this special price is for online orders only. We are receiving many calls with people wanting to place the order over the phone. We have made it as easy as possible to order online, without the need for any discount codes.

We are a small, 3 man operation and frankly cannot be tied up on the phone to take phone orders, that are super easy to order online. That is not to say you can't call us to ask a question if you have any doubts on the application, or any questions in general...but for orders, please go to the link in post #1 of this thread.

Thank you for understanding...

-Marco @ DSM
Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
Imperial 619 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate
Name: Kyle
Imperial 619's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new to these forums but I was wondering if this deal was available through your shop. I'm right down the street and figured it'd be easier to pick them up in person. Or maybe is there a way I can order online and pick them up? Thank you for your time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
Downsouth Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial 619 View Post
I'm new to these forums but I was wondering if this deal was available through your shop. I'm right down the street and figured it'd be easier to pick them up in person. Or maybe is there a way I can order online and pick them up? Thank you for your time.
Yes, you're welcome to come in and buy them. 7AM to 5:30PM, Monday through Friday.

Thanks,
-Marco @ DSM
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Dromlace is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Dromlace's Tacoma Gallery
When will these be available again?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #40
I have a shovel and no one will miss you...
TidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant futureTidalWave has a brilliant future

Name: Mendy
TidalWave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromlace View Post
When will these be available again?
x2