Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Downsouth Motorsports

Notices

Rear FJ Cruiser Fox shocks?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rear FJ Cruiser Fox shocks?

I have a 2012 DCSB OR. With the exception of SuperBumps (front) and Timbrens (rear), the suspension is stock. I have aluminum skids and steel sliders, with a Softopper bed cap. I have no immediate plans to add more weight to the truck. I'm modeling the suspension on Miles' '05. Lots of questions for you.

For the front, I'd like Fox 880-02-418-A, but I'm interested in a package that includes using modified the Toyota FJ Cruiser 2009-2007 Rear Shock, Fox Part# 980-02-417-A with OME Dakar springs. TW member HBMurphy posted that Sonny had helped him with this. Do you recommend using these shocks over the standard Tacoma model? Does DSM perform the bushing modification to allow use on a Tacoma? Would any revalving be included in the purchase price? Would adding a boot to the shock be a good idea?

Do you install the Fox CD Adjuster? I'm interested in the adjuster since I typically have an unloaded bed, but on trips I may carry 200-300 lbs of cargo in the bed, with 200 lbs of tongue weight from a 1700 lb camper. Do you believe using the adjuster would provide better adaptability? Have you seen any reliability issues with the adjuster?

I want a ball joint UCA, and I'm considering Light Racing UCAs for that reason, and for their adjustability. Do you have another recommendation? If possible, I'd prefer ordering the entire kit from DSM. I'm sure you'd prefer that, too. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Good morning,
Your right it is a lot of questions...ha,ha..
I will go through them as you had presented them.
Fox Part# 980-02-417-A with OME Dakar springs. TW member HBMurphy posted that Sonny had helped him with this. Do you recommend using these shocks over the standard Tacoma model?
A: You can not use the standard Tacoma rear Fox shocks, they are to short on the extended length, that has been discussed a few times on TW.Fox does not build a rear direct replacement shock for a lifted Tacoma application.Also the FJ rear shock is as close as you can get with a Bolt in shock without running a Fox universal length stem top shock in say 10" travel.

Does DSM perform the bushing modification to allow use on a Tacoma?
A: Correct we remove the FJ bushing and install the Tacoma bushing and sleeve.
Would any revalving be included in the purchase price?
A: Correct all the shocks we sell we valve to the best of our abilities to better fit your suspension needs. Valving is included.
Would adding a boot to the shock be a good idea?
A: Adding a boot is always a good idea on the rear shocks to help protect the shaft from rocks and getting nicked or dinged and taking out a shock seal.

Let us know if there is anything that we can help you with or if you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I have a 2012 DCSB OR. With the exception of SuperBumps (front) and Timbrens (rear), the suspension is stock. I have aluminum skids and steel sliders, with a Softopper bed cap. I have no immediate plans to add more weight to the truck. I'm modeling the suspension on Miles' '05. Lots of questions for you.

For the front, I'd like Fox 880-02-418-A, but I'm interested in a package that includes using modified the Toyota FJ Cruiser 2009-2007 Rear Shock, Fox Part# 980-02-417-A with OME Dakar springs. TW member HBMurphy posted that Sonny had helped him with this. Do you recommend using these shocks over the standard Tacoma model? Does DSM perform the bushing modification to allow use on a Tacoma? Would any revalving be included in the purchase price? Would adding a boot to the shock be a good idea?

Do you install the Fox CD Adjuster? I'm interested in the adjuster since I typically have an unloaded bed, but on trips I may carry 200-300 lbs of cargo in the bed, with 200 lbs of tongue weight from a 1700 lb camper. Do you believe using the adjuster would provide better adaptability? Have you seen any reliability issues with the adjuster?

I want a ball joint UCA, and I'm considering Light Racing UCAs for that reason, and for their adjustability. Do you have another recommendation? If possible, I'd prefer ordering the entire kit from DSM. I'm sure you'd prefer that, too. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Good morning,
Your right it is a lot of questions...ha,ha..
I will go through them as you had presented them.
Fox Part# 980-02-417-A with OME Dakar springs. TW member HBMurphy posted that Sonny had helped him with this. Do you recommend using these shocks over the standard Tacoma model?
A: You can not use the standard Tacoma rear Fox shocks, they are to short on the extended length, that has been discussed a few times on TW.Fox does not build a rear direct replacement shock for a lifted Tacoma application.Also the FJ rear shock is as close as you can get with a Bolt in shock without running a Fox universal length stem top shock in say 10" travel.

Does DSM perform the bushing modification to allow use on a Tacoma?
A: Correct we remove the FJ bushing and install the Tacoma bushing and sleeve.
Would any revalving be included in the purchase price?
A: Correct all the shocks we sell we valve to the best of our abilities to better fit your suspension needs. Valving is included.
Would adding a boot to the shock be a good idea?
A: Adding a boot is always a good idea on the rear shocks to help protect the shaft from rocks and getting nicked or dinged and taking out a shock seal.

Let us know if there is anything that we can help you with or if you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Sonny
Thanks for the quick response!

Do you sell a ball joint UCA you recommend over the Light Racing UCA?

What's your opinion of the Fox CD Adjuster?

Since this is a little outside of the DSM website package options, would it be better to order by phone, or just add everything into the website shopping cart?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good morning,

A:You have to be careful running a Ball joint UCA with an extended travel coil-over..Most Ball joint UCA's are not made for an extended travel OE coil-over. Just FYI.

A: Depends on the adjust ability you are looking for out of your shock? Driving on the street and driving off road it may behoove you to use the compression adjuster to dial in the rear for different driving conditions.

Since this is a little outside of the DSM website package options, would it be better to order by phone, or just add everything into the website
A: Best bet would be to order by phone so we can go over the details of what you are looking to order and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Let us know if there is anything that we can help you with.
Thank you,
Sonny

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response!

Since this is a little outside of the DSM website package options, would it be better to order by phone, or just add everything into the website shopping cart?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Good morning,

A:You have to be careful running a Ball joint UCA with an extended travel coil-over..Most Ball joint UCA's are not made for an extended travel OE coil-over. Just FYI.
I only want 2-2.5" of lift up front. I'd prefer not dealing with the potential noise and wear issues of a uni-ball if I can. Is there a ball joint UCA that you'd recommend using with those shocks, or would I be better off with a uni-ball model?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I only want 2-2.5" of lift up front. I'd prefer not dealing with the potential noise and wear issues of a uni-ball if I can. Is there a ball joint UCA that you'd recommend using with those shocks, or would I be better off with a uni-ball model?
How much lift you preload the coils to give you is irrelevant. The extended travel shocks allow for more overall travel (more droop) and the UCA needs to be able to accomodate the additional droop. I don't mean to speak for DSM but saw they were logged out at the moment.

I also won't speak for DSM on UCAs but I believe the LR UCA's allow for enough travel with the extended travel shocks. I'll see if I can find the thread with people who are running that type of setup.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. I understand your reluctance to jump in, but in all seriousness, Sonny is getting my business. I've been around long enough to know the value of skill and experience, and DSM seems to have plenty of both. In my book, low prices are a bonus, not the reason for purchase, and DSM has good pricing, too.

If I can make a ball joint UCA work, that's what I'd prefer, and if DSM has that solution on hand, I'll buy it from them. I've been searching for LR UCAs used with coilovers, but I keep coming up with OME and Bilstein posts.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Downsouth Motorsport

Sorry I have a tendency to log off and on....
Anyway...You are correct, the added pre-load on the spring is for ride height and I just spoke to Jeff at Light racing and their Ball Joint arms can be used with extended travel coil-overs..The reason we normally run a uni-ball UCA is because the added droop travel you can get with an extended travel coil-over will run the risk of snapping a ball joint because the factory style ball joint will only travel so far and stop. UNI-balls will allow for a few more degress or movement so nothing binds at the uca...
Hope this helps...
Thank you,
Sonny

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry I have a tendency to log off and on....
Anyway...You are correct, the added pre-load on the spring is for ride height and I just spoke to Jeff at Light racing and their Ball Joint arms can be used with extended travel coil-overs..The reason we normally run a uni-ball UCA is because the added droop travel you can get with an extended travel coil-over will run the risk of snapping a ball joint because the factory style ball joint will only travel so far and stop. UNI-balls will allow for a few more degress or movement so nothing binds at the uca...
Hope this helps...
Thank you,
Sonny
That does help, and again, thanks for the quick reply. I'll give up a little articulation to gain a sealed joint. I'll give you a call in a bit and ask you 40 more questions.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Downsouth Motorsport

Thank God its Friday...
Cant wait....Just kidding...
Let us know..
Thanks,
Sonny

Quote:
That does help, and again, thanks for the quick reply. I'll give up a little articulation to gain a sealed joint. I'll give you a call in a bit and ask you 40 more questions.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #11

Sorry Sonny, something came up. Well, came home is more accurate.

I'll call you first thing Monday. Thanks again, and have a great weekend.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Downsouth Motorsport

No worries.....
Have a good weekend....
Thanks
Sonny

Quote:
Sorry Sonny, something came up. Well, came home is more accurate.

I'll call you first thing Monday. Thanks again, and have a great weekend.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #13

I finally got around to ordering with Neal; Sonny was busy. I opted for the CD Adjusters on the rear shocks to allow a little tuning for loads.

Neal recommended limit straps for the rear when using the FJ shocks + Dakar springs. I hadn't read about that being necessary. He also said that I'll need to find a way to attach boots to the rear shocks.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
Rear shocks

I would like to know about the differences between the FJ shock and the universal Stem Top 10" travel shock for pairing with OME dakar springs. Looks like the up universal stem top is a little longer:

FJ cruiser rear Fox.FOX-980-02-417-A 07-09 FJ Cruiser Rear (Single) Stock 2.0" Factory Series PiggyBack 23.25" 14.65"
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6077329

980-24-636 FOX 2.0 Factory Series Remote Reservoir Smooth Body Stem Top Shock 5/8" Shaft 25.19" 15.19"
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-81...5-8-shaft.html
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Downsouth Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7 View Post
I would like to know about the differences between the FJ shock and the universal Stem Top 10" travel shock for pairing with OME dakar springs. Looks like the up universal stem top is a little longer:

FJ cruiser rear Fox.FOX-980-02-417-A 07-09 FJ Cruiser Rear (Single) Stock 2.0" Factory Series PiggyBack 23.25" 14.65"
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6077329

980-24-636 FOX 2.0 Factory Series Remote Reservoir Smooth Body Stem Top Shock 5/8" Shaft 25.19" 15.19"
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-81...5-8-shaft.html
I am not sure what the first link you pasted is about? but the main difference is going to be length. Secondly the reservoir hose, the 417 is a 90 with a clamp, as where the 636 is a hose remote.
either way, which ever may fit better by dimension we can valve to work with your driving style.