Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Downsouth Motorsports

Notices

OME Dakar rear leafs and Icon/King everywhere else?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
OME Dakar rear leafs and Icon/King everywhere else?

I'm having trouble deciding on which lift components to get and I'm hoping you guys can help. Right now I have a double cab short bed with stock suspension but with an ARB bull bar on the front. This causes the front of my truck to sag quite a bit, to the point that the CV angle is almost coming back the other way, and makes the ride a bit rough. I also don't want any add-a-leaf solutions for the rear. Had them on an older truck and I didn't feel that they improved the ride all that much, plus I have the non-TSB leafs in the back anyway and I would rather just replace the entire thing, which is why the OME complete kit was appealing. Since most of my driving is on the road, and the truck is my daily driver, I had been leaning toward the OME complete kit with heavy duty coils because of the front bumper, but I'm unsure of how much the front will sag if I decide to add a winch later on, and liked the option of being able to increase the height in the front later if I want to.

This made me look at adjustable coilovers for the front, but they can be considerably more expensive the crazier they get. I don't know if there would be a difference in ride quality between the front and the rear if the shocks were from different brands, and I couldn't find a lot of information about using the OME Dakar leafs in the rear and having Icon (or King) shocks/coilovers.

Also another silly question, would the Light Racing UCA's be sufficient for extended travel coilovers, or would I need to replace the LCA's as well?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenbro View Post
I'm having trouble deciding on which lift components to get and I'm hoping you guys can help. Right now I have a double cab short bed with stock suspension but with an ARB bull bar on the front. This causes the front of my truck to sag quite a bit, to the point that the CV angle is almost coming back the other way, and makes the ride a bit rough. I also don't want any add-a-leaf solutions for the rear. Had them on an older truck and I didn't feel that they improved the ride all that much, plus I have the non-TSB leafs in the back anyway and I would rather just replace the entire thing, which is why the OME complete kit was appealing. Since most of my driving is on the road, and the truck is my daily driver, I had been leaning toward the OME complete kit with heavy duty coils because of the front bumper, but I'm unsure of how much the front will sag if I decide to add a winch later on, and liked the option of being able to increase the height in the front later if I want to.

This made me look at adjustable coilovers for the front, but they can be considerably more expensive the crazier they get. I don't know if there would be a difference in ride quality between the front and the rear if the shocks were from different brands, and I couldn't find a lot of information about using the OME Dakar leafs in the rear and having Icon (or King) shocks/coilovers.

Also another silly question, would the Light Racing UCA's be sufficient for extended travel coilovers, or would I need to replace the LCA's as well?
If you run OME 886 coils in the front and dakars in the rear you can add about 600 lbs of weight and it won't sag hardly at all. Ask me how I know, I swapped the OME for Kings front & rear down the road, the OME would have sufficed for what I was doing with the truck. If you run extended lenght C/Os you will need to run aftermarket UCAs, the LR are fine, and you don't have to change your LCAs.

Edit: If you run 886s you are better off putting aftermarket UCAs on while the front IFS is apart, you would more than likely have to anyway down the road.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I was going to replace the UCA's no matter what. It looks like for my application the OME setup would be more than fine. How is the ride with the Kings compared to the OME?

Edit: Looks like DSM has a build-your-own mid-travel kit in case I want to mix-and-match. Awesome!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
abarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to beholdabarber11 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Alex
abarber11's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I'm having the same dilemma.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up going with Icon all around with the OME Dakar leaf springs and Light Racing UCA's. In the end, ride height adjustability in the front was worth the extra money (buy once, cry once) and having rebuildable and upgradable shocks could save me money down the road. All the parts arrived within 2 weeks of ordering (DSM estimated Icon had a 3-week manufacturing backlog) and I'm hoping to install this weekend, assuming the Dakar bushings arrive this week.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Its was great meeting you today! You got a nice looking truck.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
jweaksta is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
jweaksta's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I'm looking at the same exact setup through DSM as well...did you end up going with standard or extended? I'm also debating whether I want the icon rear leaf kit (going all icon) or doing Dakar leaf pack. I'm primarily looking to make the rear higher since running a bed top is not significantly heavy. For some reason 1.5 inches despite the rear being naturally higher doesn't seem that high. Anyone know if its worth doing the dakars instead? (How many more inches?) I've also heard dakars may be more rough ride. How much height did you end up getting in the front?

I'm excited to see how your stuff installs and hope to learn from your setup. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
jediwaxer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
jediwaxer's Tacoma Gallery
I hope this provides some help, it's not meant to be discouraging.
I've also got OME Dakars and IVD 2.5 remote, IVD 2.5 EXT travel CO's on my 06 taco/access cab.
Rides about like Fred Flintstone's car, WAY rough. Awesome at 50mph out in the desert, but other than that, feels like garbage front and back.
I've heard about having the charge decreased or re-valving, but against all convention, I'm just going to try a 1/2' top plate spacer to decrease my preload up front and see what that feels like.
Still need a solution for the rear... guess I'll just focus on my 4runner LE/TE conversion build until I figure it out.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwaxer View Post
I've also got OME Dakars and IVD 2.5 remote, IVD 2.5 EXT travel CO's on my 06 taco/access cab.
Rides about like Fred Flintstone's car, WAY rough. Awesome at 50mph out in the desert, but other than that, feels like garbage front and back.
I've heard about having the charge decreased or re-valving, but against all convention, I'm just going to try a 1/2' top plate spacer to decrease my preload up front and see what that feels like.
Still need a solution for the rear... guess I'll just focus on my 4runner LE/TE conversion build until I figure it out.
I would not recommend doing a spacer. How much pre load do you have in the coil overs?.
You can have them revalved with a low speed valving to make the street ride more comfortable, as well as take out one spring from the leaf pack per OME instructions on the ARB site.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it really that rough? I have heard from others it is quite smooth. I want a smooth ride on the pavement at well as offroad.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
Is it really that rough? I have heard from others it is quite smooth. I want a smooth ride on the pavement at well as offroad.

Do you haul or carry extra weight all the time ?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Do you haul or carry extra weight all the time ?
No. The guy I quoted said it was bad ride front and back with the icons which throws me off because I have seen others raving about icon.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No. The guy I quoted said it was bad ride front and back with the icons which throws me off because I have seen others raving about icon.

Oh my bad , I thought you were referring to the dakars
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Stalker

Quote:
Oh my bad , I thought you were referring to the dakars
Well I'm curious about those as well, compared to stock leafs how would you rate the ride?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I'm curious about those as well, compared to stock leafs how would you rate the ride?

Unloaded it's a lot stiffer , they ride great with a load on
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #17
jediwaxer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
jediwaxer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unloaded it's a lot stiffer , they ride great with a load on
Just to follow up on the earlier quote...
My tacoma's IVD CO's are relatively stiff but manageable and better than stock... I only realized how much better the ride could/should be when I installed my new 4runner IVD CO's w/ adjustable remote resi... THOSE ARE AWESOME

Dakars: the only time I don't hate driving on them is with my dirt bike in the back. They need load to smooth out, but that's how they're supposed to be, and I just didn't realize how bad it actually would be. Also, I've even removed a leaf. To be replaced soon
Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My tacoma's IVD CO's are relatively stiff but manageable and better than stock... I only realized how much better the ride could/should be when I installed my new 4runner IVD CO's w/ adjustable remote resi... THOSE ARE AWESOME

Dakars: the only time I don't hate driving on them is with my dirt bike in the back. They need load to smooth out, but that's how they're supposed to be, and I just didn't realize how bad it actually would be. Also, I've even removed a leaf. To be replaced soon

My 200lb cap seems to engage them enough to take the harsh off
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
Stalker

Quote:

Did the removed leaf make it a better ride? Why are you going to put it back in?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did the removed leaf make it a better ride? Why are you going to put it back in?

If you never haul , Dakars aren't the way to go to get rear end lift