LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Downsouth Motorsports

Notices

RCD/Bilstein 5100 Shocks from Downsouth Motorsports?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
RCNG FAN is on a distinguished road

RCNG FAN's Tacoma Gallery
RCD/Bilstein 5100 Shocks from Downsouth Motorsports?

Hey everyone, first time poster here! I have a 2005 TRD Sport Pre Runner Double Cab with the long bed and I am finally looking at getting some new shocks, and leveling my ride while I'm at it. I just want to level it out, not lift the whole truck. I have seen many posts here about the Bilstein 5100's and how much people like them. I'm thinking that's the way to go and that I might go with the +1.75 inch setting with my stock, un-updated rear suspension.

My question is about the ones that some people got from Downsouth Motorsports. The price is really good, but I wonder why the part numbers are different. What's the difference between the ones they sell (for Race Car Dynamics) and "regular" ones? Anything I should be aware of before purchase? How do they ride? How satisfied are you with your purchase from Downsouth? I'm thinking I will probably go with them, but just want to hear others' opinions first.

Thanks in advance!

Joe V in SoCal
Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
The Billies they make for Downsouth are specifically made for them. Different #s for each side of the truck.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Downsouth is the way to go. Great prices and from what I've heard, great customer service.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
The Billies they make for Downsouth are specifically made for them. Different #s for each side of the truck.
I ordered them there, arrived in record time in Bilstein boxes with the different #'s on the labels. I got them off E-Bay and offered less on make an offer and they took it.

I have them on an '08 with TSB and only set them at the .85" and there is only 1.25" difference in height front to back after the rear has settled. The ride is only slightly more firm than the fleet type Bilstein's that came on the TRD OR truck but about twice the diameter and better dampening.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
joedart is on a distinguished road
joedart's Tacoma Gallery
i was checking these out today. the guy (sonny) answered all my questions super fast, i will be ordering from them soon. i was in the local 4wheel parts place yesterday and the price was 100$ higher.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

Thanks guys. Just the kind of responses I was hoping to hear!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Ventura_Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force: KC-135Q Crew Chief, Okinawa, Japan '86-'90
Ventura_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. Is there a 5100 application for non TRD 2wd Prerunnner reg cab?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura_Taco View Post

The 5100s work with both PreRunner and 4x4 models. There is no difference in suspension (that I am aware of) between the Reg Cab, Access Cab, or Double Cab. You should be good to go.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura_Taco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hui View Post
The 5100s work with both PreRunner and 4x4 models. There is no difference in suspension (that I am aware of) between the Reg Cab, Access Cab, or Double Cab. You should be good to go.
Should be the same part #'s and you will like the ride.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

My 5100's should be here tomorrow! I can't wait!

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to move the coils off the stock front shocks, then install them onto the new 5100 front's?? Will I need any special tools for this, or any other part of the job?

Thanks in advance!

Joe V.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You'll need spring compressors to remove and replace those shocks. If you've never worked with them, find someone who has. It's not worth losing a finger, a limb or your life.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNG FAN View Post
My 5100's should be here tomorrow! I can't wait!

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to move the coils off the stock front shocks, then install them onto the new 5100 front's?? Will I need any special tools for this, or any other part of the job?

Thanks in advance!

Joe V.
you have to disconect the a-arm and sway bar to make room to get the shocks and coils out, otherwise you'll never be able to work them out of that tight space. you'll need GOOD spring compressors, especially if you put them on teh highest setting cause you have to compress the hell out of those coils to cram them into place once you move the coil seat up.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #13

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll have them professionally installed! At least the fronts. :-)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
You'll need spring compressors to remove and replace those shocks. If you've never worked with them, find someone who has. It's not worth losing a finger, a limb or your life.
i heard those springs are dangerous.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #15

Ok, I had the fronts done today. Looks awesome!

Now, as soon as I can find some time I will install the rears myself.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
TACOMAN22 will become famous soon enoughTACOMAN22 will become famous soon enough

TACOMAN22's Tacoma Gallery
wait there is different ones for different sides? i thought they were both the same..
Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMAN22 View Post
wait there is different ones for different sides? i thought they were both the same..

The fronts are preload adjustable. The rears are not.

I have my fronts set at +1.75 inches. Levels out very nicely.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
bite me

There should be one shock a bit longer than the other one for the rear. The longer one should go on the driver's side to accommodate for the gas tank, driver and the battery.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #19
TACOMAN22 will become famous soon enoughTACOMAN22 will become famous soon enough

TACOMAN22's Tacoma Gallery
oh thanks i had no idea, but for the front they're the same right?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #20
bite me

Yes, fronts are the same.