1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longest travel for "lifted" OEM applications?

Discussion in 'Downsouth Motorsports' started by DevL, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    When comparing King, Fox, and Icon front, remote reservoir coilovers for for "lifted" applications and use with after market upper control arms on 2nd Gen Tacomas:

Which has the most and least travel? If you have stats to share, that would be even better.

Same question for rear shocks.

My concern (possibly unfounded) is that extended shafts might be used using a relatively stock shock body to make shocks fit, vs a custom and longer shock, resulting in less travel for some shocks vs others.

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Lifted applications, and extended travel are 2 different things. KING and ICON offer the lifted applications to accommodate drop bracket lifts, such as Procomp/Fabtech 6" lifts. Fox does not, but they do offer the extended travel. The actual travel specs are not published, but if you really think about it there won't be any huge difference between any of them. You only have a limited amount of space and geometry to work with...

Thanks,
    Marco

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    DevL

Member:
    So if only doing a 2.5" lift with coilovers I dont need the lifted option... what about the rear? I am only going to do 2-3" lift with the leaves... would I be better off not getting the $200 "lifted" application shocks for the rear as well?

4. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    DevL

Member:
    And renaming that option for "drop bracket" application woud be much more clear than "lifted" application. :)

5. Apr 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Correct, you will get 2.5" of lift from the standard coil-overs. And as for the rear, the you will likely be fine with the standard rear shocks too; but check with the manufacturer of the leaf springs to see what extended & collapsed lengths they recommend. I know that the KINGs were bit long on the collapsed length to work with the All Pro 3" leaf springs.

To Top