Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Downsouth Motorsports (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/downsouth-motorsports/)
-   -   icon progressive aal 1yr review (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/downsouth-motorsports/272258-icon-progressive-aal-1yr-review.html)

Justus 04-08-2013 07:55 AM

icon progressive aal 1yr review
 
I got an Icon progressive aal (3pack) and installed it on my tsb leafpack and I chose to remove the overload, so I got 1.5" of lift.

Process was pretty easy with the right tools and help from cayucos tacoma (chris)....ride was nice and smooth, while retaining "usability". The truck can handle a load of 300# steel plates, an olympic bar, a heavy bag, a heavy/speedbag stand (quite heavy), my normal set of roadside tools and first aid bag weighing in around 50lbs for tools and 1st aid combined, myself (260ish) and my better half (not going there, let's say 110lbs ish) and a full tank of gas.

Drove a good 30 miles, street, highway, up a grade, a couple very abrupt overpass joints, and a couple sharp banked onramps.

Never bottomed out, ride was plush, I had plenty of space between the bumpstops and frame.

Coming from these configurations, I must say the icons and 5100s have been the best setup to date:
Bone stock pre tsb......tsb with stock shocks.......tsb plus 5100s......tsb plus 5100s and toytec/deaver aal......now icons/5100s on tsb without overload.


The back end doesn't hop around like it did bone stock or with the toytec/deaver aal....the ride remains smooth wether loaded or unloaded.

Sonny and everyone at DSM are def the go to place for suspension....they just happen to have the best prices. Even if they didn't, id still buy from them due to the outstanding customer support.

Thank you guys!

~brock

Downsouth Motorsports 04-09-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus (Post 6711997)
I got an Icon progressive aal (3pack) and installed it on my tsb leafpack and I chose to remove the overload, so I got 1.5" of lift.

Process was pretty easy with the right tools and help from cayucos tacoma (chris)....ride was nice and smooth, while retaining "usability". The truck can handle a load of 300# steel plates, an olympic bar, a heavy bag, a heavy/speedbag stand (quite heavy), my normal set of roadside tools and first aid bag weighing in around 50lbs for tools and 1st aid combined, myself (260ish) and my better half (not going there, let's say 110lbs ish) and a full tank of gas.

Drove a good 30 miles, street, highway, up a grade, a couple very abrupt overpass joints, and a couple sharp banked onramps.

Never bottomed out, ride was plush, I had plenty of space between the bumpstops and frame.

Coming from these configurations, I must say the icons and 5100s have been the best setup to date:
Bone stock pre tsb......tsb with stock shocks.......tsb plus 5100s......tsb plus 5100s and toytec/deaver aal......now icons/5100s on tsb without overload.


The back end doesn't hop around like it did bone stock or with the toytec/deaver aal....the ride remains smooth wether loaded or unloaded.

Sonny and everyone at DSM are def the go to place for suspension....they just happen to have the best prices. Even if they didn't, id still buy from them due to the outstanding customer support.

Thank you guys!

~brock

Thanks Brock!

We appreciate that! Glad your happy with the set up.

Micah

HuntnTruk 04-09-2013 08:34 AM

Good to know. I had a wheelers 3 leaf pack for just under a year and it started squeaking. I am about to install the Icon 3 leaf with the over load. What grease did you use during install?

Justus 04-09-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuntnTruk (Post 6717230)
Good to know. I had a wheelers 3 leaf pack for just under a year and it started squeaking. I am about to install the Icon 3 leaf with the over load. What grease did you use during install?

I used simple marine grease between each leaf........I used a long thin knife to apply between the leafs.

Pugga 04-09-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuntnTruk (Post 6717230)
Good to know. I had a wheelers 3 leaf pack for just under a year and it started squeaking. I am about to install the Icon 3 leaf with the over load. What grease did you use during install?

I have a TSB leaf pack and the Icon 3-leaf AAL. I'm a little over a year in and they're still quiet, no grease used during install. If you feel the need to use a lubricant, use a dry lubricant like graphite, grease attracts dirt.

I've had the same setups as the OP, stock non-TSB leafs with stock SR5 shocks, TSB with stock Bilstein shocks, TSB with 5100's (that actually rode nice at first but the leafs sagged and I was riding on the overload full time), then I got a new TSB leaf pack and the Icon AAL with 5100's. I have a shell, plywood platform and tools in the bed totaling about 2-300 lbs all day every day. The ride has been great, my only hint of a complaint (if you can even call it that) is the paint that comes on the AAL's is very thin and weak. A year in and they have rusted very badly and will need to be sanded and repainted.

Sandman614 04-09-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus (Post 6717278)
I used simple marine grease between each leaf........I used a long thin putty knife to apply between the leafs.

Grease the leafs? I must've missed something when I installed the Wheeler's pack.

Justus 04-09-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman614 (Post 6717284)
Grease the leafs? I must've missed something when I installed the Wheeler's pack.

I did that on my own........some ppl have diff ideas what to use, but I personally have had no issues with using grease. Any dirt that I've had stuck has been blasted off while washing, or its so small it not made any noise?

Whatever works for ya....make a poll and ask.....

Marine grease/ no grease / spray graphite, etc.

Im curious the outcome

Justus 07-28-2014 01:45 AM

going on 2 years with absolutely no changes.

Trucks ride height has stayed the same, the truck rides the same, hauls weight the same, and makes no noise.

Thanks again Sonny, Marco, and Micah at DSM!

Downsouth Motorsports 07-28-2014 08:17 AM

:thumbsup:

Justus 07-28-2014 08:30 AM

seriously the best suspension upgrade I have ever done to the truck.

SWOreBowHunter 07-28-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuntnTruk (Post 6717230)
Good to know. I had a wheelers 3 leaf pack for just under a year and it started squeaking. I am about to install the Icon 3 leaf with the over load. What grease did you use during install?

Have you installed them yet? Which shocks did you use?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.