Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Elite Off-Road

Notices

Bud Built Skid install with an Elite bumper.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Bud Built Skid install with an Elite bumper.

Okay so the questions have been out there if the Bud Built IFS skid fits with the Elite front bumper. And yes it dose "with a little modifications" This is what I did to make it fit.

On a side note I wouldn't get the powder coated skids because your going to be grinding it off. "And I don't think you should powder coat a skid anyway it's just going to get all messed up and you will have to paint over it anyway but that's just me"

Tools
Drill & 5/16th drill bit
4.5" angle grinder (with 4 to 6 cut off wheels)
Paint pen (or sharpie)
Straight edge
Measuring tool (I used THIS)
Primer & paint

Optional Tools
Welder
C clamps
3 beers

You can see here how much the skid hangs over the edge of the bumper. This shot is with the hex bolts in place to align the skid.

My mounting point is a little tweaked "yes I wheel my truck "

So I took a measurement wile the skid was on the truck and came up with this.

And broke out the angle grinder (Note) with the 4.5" angle grinder dont just bite into the edge of the plate. Do light passes over the top until you cut all the way through.

I did it one bolt hole at a time.

And that's what I trimmed off.

And even if you take your time your going to eat up grinding disks I went through 3 and half of the fourth. And I took my time and didn't rush it.

Here is what i cut off mine "But yours will be different trust me"

Passenger side

Driver side

Then mocked it up to see fitment I cut back a little much for my taste but once the hex nuts are started you couldn't get it to go into place. (Note) i would knock off about 1/8" 1/4" from your cut and it will line up better.

I didn't mined the over cut too much because i didn't plan on leaving it that way. i took the trimmed steel and lined it up wit the holes and stitch welded it to the skid.

Then tested fitted the skid and there was just a little over hang i had to trim.

Then I primed and painted the skid.

Note you will have to drill out the hole on the bumper and buy nuts from Home Depot to bolt it to the bumper.

I had some 5/16th bolts so I used those.

Another thing if you have the Elite cut outs like I do you can forget about the middle bolt because you can get to it. You could put it in before the skid and hope it don't spin on you because you can't get to the top. The next time i take off my skid I may tack the bolt to the bumper and put it on but I'm fine with just 2 for now.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good Jerry!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up, Ill be doing this once my bumper gets here.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guy I figured Id help everyone out so there was no guessing when installing a Bud Built skid with one of these bumpers.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up man very helpful
Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
nice job Jerry, thanks for posting this!! rep for you
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if Bud Built redesigned their skid plates for the tacoma . . . . it seems the IFS one pictured here is different from previous ones.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleep View Post
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if Bud Built redesigned their skid plates for the tacoma . . . . it seems the IFS one pictured here is different from previous ones.

he has a 1st gen taco you have a 2nd gen
Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
he has a 1st gen taco you have a 2nd gen
Uhhhh . . . . thanks ....feeling pretty dumb now.

Products Discussed in this Thread