Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Elite Off-Road

Notices

Tim, recommend plating the bumper mounts?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
drarin is on a distinguished road
drarin's Tacoma Gallery
Tim, recommend plating the bumper mounts?

What do you think about these?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3978205

Do you think this is a worthwhile $35 investment to use when installing one of your plate bumpers??

thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarin View Post
What do you think about these?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3978205

Do you think this is a worthwhile $35 investment to use when installing one of your plate bumpers??

thanks in advance.
if you were to weld them in then yes it would make a difference but where he says its "optional to weld them" in is wrong because if you didn't weld them in then it wouldn't be any different than having the plate bumper bolted to the mounts besides the fact that you would then have two plates bolted to the mounts. I offer frame reinforcement plates that strap from the bumper mounts to a hole in the frame and they would offer more than enough strength for any bumper.

so if you want to spend the 35$ then i would suggest getting them completly welded on. you could also just tell me if you want them and i could cut you out a set and strap them with the bumper. let me know if you have any other questions
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
It seems if those bolts were torqued down evenly and correctly, that situation shouldn't be able to happen. I don't see how you can snap off the bolt mount on one side and not even tweak the bolt mount on the other side. That's a wide mount so to me it seems things weren't tightened down properly when that bumper was installed.

Any comments from the fabricators?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It seems if those bolts were torqued down evenly and correctly, that situation shouldn't be able to happen. I don't see how you can snap off the bolt mount on one side and not even tweak the bolt mount on the other side. That's a wide mount so to me it seems things weren't tightened down properly when that bumper was installed.

Any comments from the fabricators?
ya i've seen it happen on 2nd gens from pulling hard on an aftermarket bumper, the front mounts are only 1/8" steel and not supported the greatest, but those plates the guys offering would only work if welded in
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
ya i've seen it happen on 2nd gens from pulling hard on an aftermarket bumper, the front mounts are only 1/8" steel and not supported the greatest, but those plates the guys offering would only work if welded in
x2