Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Storm Chasers' Matt Hughes Dies at 30

Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Storm Chasers' Matt Hughes Dies at 30

Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes, a longtime meteorologist who starred on Discovery's Storm Chasers, has died. He was 30.

Hughes died May 26 in Wichita, Kan., but his death wasn't made public until Wednesday's episode of Storm Chasers, which was dedicated in his memory.

His death was unrelated to his often dangerous job. In a June 7 blog post titled "R.I.P. Matt" on Wichita's ABC affiliate KAKE-TV's website, Aaron Blaser, a former colleague and friend of Hughes, wrote that Hughes had tried to commit suicide.

See other stars who died this year

"[Hughes] was taken to the hospital after trying to take his life," Blaser wrote. "Matt was in the hospital for several days in intensive care, there was a 24 hour vigil outside the waiting room, family, other chasers, business associates, etc. I spent quite a bit of time bouncing from work to the hospital and back again...hoping for the best, comforting others, but several days later, after serious complications arose, I knew we were going to lose him. ... What a lot of us didn't know was that he suffered from depression."

Blaser did not reveal the cause of death, but wrote that "there was never any illegal activity," attributing Hughes' suicide attempt to "an accumulation of issues at home" that were mounting. He said more than 500 people attended the funeral.

Watch clips from Storm Chasers

Wednesday's episode — titled "Dedication" — detailed Hughes' final chase.

"Matt's been asking for more control all year long," team leader Sean Casey said at the beginning of the episode. Hughes then led the team on what Discovery calls the "best tornado intercept ever."

Hughes is survived by his wife, Kendra, and two sons, Hunter and Collin.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Matt-Hug...s=breakingnews
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
That's very sad.

I know a bunch of people in the storm chasing and meteorology fields in Oklahoma, and they all have high remarks of Matt.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Wow...It must be something pretty heavy that makes you take your own life when you have a TV show, two kids, and a pretty solid group of people who care for you like it sounds this guy had...

Sad.

I agree...............I had a good friend who did well had a small close nit family a wife and a couple kids and seemed to have a good thing going and out of the blue he killed himself. Dude was always laughing and goofing around,but was also serious when he had to be. He hid his depression very well.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

I would watch Matt on S.C. and say to myself that he seemed to be very smart in what he knew and if more people would listen to him maybe that I Max movie would be done.......sad all around.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I watched that episode last night. I have had a suicide in my family so I know what his family must be going through. Some people just get so depressed no matter how much you try to help, they feel like their only way out is suicide.

That segment of them inside that tornado in the TIV was pretty sweet. That job would be really fun.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Mental issues have to play a major role for someone to want to take their own life, because no matter how bad things get, you have to realize they WILL get better.

Very sad for his wife and kids. Not to sound cold concerning someone's death, but suicide is very selfish when you think about it. Someone living for other people, and not themselves would never consider it.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
Very sad for his wife and kids. Not to sound cold concerning someone's death, but suicide is very selfish when you think about it. Someone living for other people, and not themselves would never consider it.
My next door neighbor took his life back in April of this year. I would say that he was thinking about his family. He was old (85) and he felt like he was a burden on his family, plus his wife died of cancer about a year ago so he lost his life long companion. He actually shot himself in the backyard so that his family wouldn't have to deal with the mess inside the house. He left a note and called his son right before he did it.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
My next door neighbor took his life back in April of this year. I would say that he was thinking about his family. He was old (85) and he felt like he was a burden on his family, plus his wife died of cancer about a year ago so he lost his life long companion. He actually shot himself in the backyard so that his family wouldn't have to deal with the mess inside the house. He left a note and called his son right before he did it.
I was mainly thinking of someone younger, but still...anyone thinking they are doing their family a favor by taking their own lives...again, has mental issues because it is never easy for a family to deal with that...no matter the age.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
wow thats crazy i just wated that shit the other day.....
i never felt like killing myself....other people yes myself no......
Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. I hope his family gets through ok. I can't imagine leaving my son like that.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i must say they kept that secret a long time wow
with the internet and all.....
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Sad, sad. found himself in a dark place and couldn't get out.

RIP Matt.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i must say they kept that secret a long time wow
with the internet and all.....
Thats what I thought as well...............
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #15

Matt Hughes Tribute

Matt Hughes, a featured meteorologist on Storm Chasers passed away on May 26th, 2010 in Wichita, Kansas due to an injury unrelated to his chasing activities. Sean, Reed, Tim and everyone involved in Storm Chasers mourn the loss of their friend and colleague. Next Wednesday at 10pm, a special Storm Chasers episode called "Dedication" will feature Matt's incredible last chase, and is dedicated to his memory.

REMEMBERING MATT PHOTOS

Our thoughts and prayers are with Matt's family, and we ask fans to kindly respect their privacy. A special memorial fund has been established to benefit Matt's two young sons. Donations can be made to: Matthew John Hughes Memorial Fund
c/o Intrust Bank
142 North Ash
Valley Center, Kansas 67147

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/storm-chasers/tribute.html
Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
BIG DADDY

you guys know how he did it???
he hung himself
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
thats fucked up
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Just watched that last night. when they were in that tornado, Matt looked so damn happy and excited. Who would of guess he was suicidal. The way they worded it on discovery, i thought he had an accident at home or something.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
sad to hear, though i find suicide to be one of the most selfish things a person can do.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Losing a friend due to suicide hits you the most. I recently had a friend that committed suicide because his girlfriend that he just had a kid with cheated on him through out the relationship and she dumped him on his birthday pretty fucked up huh? He suffered with depression throughout his life, but he never really showed it, he had problems with drugs in the past etc. I remember it was like yesterday, i was driving home from my friends and it was like 4 o'clock in the morning and i saw him hanging from a tree in his front yard, something i will never forget the rest of my life.... Best of wishes to that guys fam they gonna need it through the process.