Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Home Theater Gurus...

Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Home Theater Gurus...

Is it okay to use surround speakers as your front left/right speakers or vice versa? Are they tuned differently or something?

I'm asking because one of my surround speakers is shot. I was looking at buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/290641385363...84.m1423.l2649. I've read many good reviews on it and the price is right. I wanna use the surround speakers as my front left/right and my old front speakers as my surrounds. Is there any harm in doing this?

I already tried one of my fronts in place of my surround speaker and I couldn't hear any difference. Could it harm my receiver in any way?

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on your system. Mine as far as I know the speakers are the same but the ones labeled for the front are magnetically shielded to protect the tv screens from the magnets. If they look the same this would be my guess on them.

As far as your link, I'm not a big fan of Sony for audio. Video equipment is great, just not sure about the audio. But that's my opinion.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
it all depends on your setup my four speakers are all identical and interchangeable
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
No difference in surrounds. They can be used for fronts.

Typically a front "main" speaker will have the ability to play lower than a surround speaker. The reason for this is that there isn't much (if any) content that comes out of the surround speakers in most media. They don't really have to play that loud or low to accomplish what's thrown at them.

However, front speakers have to get loud and fairly low to produce a convincing sound stage.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
XJBaylor will become famous soon enough
Name: Keith
XJBaylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Is it okay to use surround speakers as your front left/right speakers or vice versa? Are they tuned differently or something?

I'm asking because one of my surround speakers is shot. I was looking at buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/290641385363...84.m1423.l2649. I've read many good reviews on it and the price is right. I wanna use the surround speakers as my front left/right and my old front speakers as my surrounds. Is there any harm in doing this?

I already tried one of my fronts in place of my surround speaker and I couldn't hear any difference. Could it harm my receiver in any way?

Thoughts?
Not a problem in any way.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
It depends on your system. Mine as far as I know the speakers are the same but the ones labeled for the front are magnetically shielded to protect the tv screens from the magnets. If they look the same this would be my guess on them.
Shielding is something that was important back when we still had CRT TV's but with plasma, LCD and LED it's a non issue now.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool, thanks for your input guys. Just wanted to make sure.

I know Sony is not the best when it comes to audio, but i'm not trying to build a state of the art system either. Just want something that sounds decent. Unless, you guys know of something better for around the same price. $80 is pretty much my limit.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
countrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shedcountrylivn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

countrylivn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
No difference in surrounds. They can be used for fronts.

Typically a front "main" speaker will have the ability to play lower than a surround speaker. The reason for this is that there isn't much (if any) content that comes out of the surround speakers in most media. They don't really have to play that loud or low to accomplish what's thrown at them.

However, front speakers have to get loud and fairly low to produce a convincing sound stage.

x2 ...also depends on how your receiver is set up .. some receivers cant be adjusted on side speakers. which sucks.. i love onkyo , yamaha and denon
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Shielding is something that was important back when we still had CRT TV's but with plasma, LCD and LED it's a non issue now.
Wasn't sure about the newer tv's, but how old the speakers are could still put them in this category though. Not sure if mine have the shielding but they are labeled front and rear.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by invstmntbnkr View Post
x2 ...also depends on how your receiver is set up .. some receivers cant be adjusted on side speakers. which sucks.. i love onkyo , yamaha and denon
My receiver lets me adjust each speaker individually. It has so many adjustments that I don't even mess with most of them. It's a Sony, also.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
AVS forum is an awesome site. Check em out.

But as stated you will be fine. Just be sure that all three front speakers are timbre matched. Usually meaning that they are all the same brand and product line. The package you linked us to will be just fine for you it seems. Obviously youre not looking for incredibly high sound levels and ultra-fine clarity.

I myself am a fan of Sony Home theater electronics. They certainly are no where near the best for clarity, but for the price, theyre damn good. I am using all Sony speakers in my current setup, connected to a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver.

Larger Front speakers are neccesary for a convincing front sound stage. After all, thats where about 90% of the sound is coming from when watching a movie. In a lot of cases, center channels are the largest. The center channel is arguably, the most important speaker in your entire theater. It handles the direct dialogue and the sound effects that are meant to be right in front of you.

Now my question to you: What kind of setup are you running? 3.0, 3.1, 5.1, 7+??
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

^ 5.1. Haven't steped up to the big leagues yet (7.1). That's further down the road.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
^ 5.1. Haven't steped up to the big leagues yet (7.1). That's further down the road.
5.1 is fine. Thats all im doing too at the moment. 7.1 someday though.

Whats your subwoofer situation?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg589 View Post

Whats your subwoofer situation?
I was wondering the same thing. Just about any speaker will run down to 100hz so if you have a decent sub to fill in below that he should be golden. Might not be optimal but it should work fine.