Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Anyone know anything about projection TVs?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know anything about projection TVs?

A few months ago I rescued a 57" Sony television from my parents neighbors trash. After doing some research I discovered this TV (Sony KP57WV700) originally sold for over $5K. Can't believe someone would have thrown it out.

When I first got it the picture was extremely yellow/green. I've messed with all the color settings on the television as well as the convergence selection in the menu and the TV looks fairly good now, but still nowhere near as good as I know it could be. I took the back panel off earlier and tried blowing some dust off the projection lenses and it looks alot better, but does anyone know of a better way to clean them off? The color is still a bit greenish and washed out, so I figure cleaning the lenses is the easiest next step before trying to work on the more complicated parts of the TV using a youtube guide...
Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I know they suck ass

But seriously, shoulda left that thing in the dumpster
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
crouton327 is on a distinguished road

Name: ricky bobby
crouton327's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I know they suck ass

x2
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know they suck ass

Negative.

My Samsung 56" DLP 1080p is projection and it has one of the best pictures I have ever seen in a HD TV. I can buy a replacement lamp every 4-6 years for under $100. It becomes brand new again. Plasma TV's start to wear out the minute you plug them in with a noticeable quality drop after just a few years. Same for LCD. The technology jump from the old 3 color front projectors to some of the high quality DLP units is amazing.

BTW, there's a reason the best home theater projectors use DLP. A true "movie room" is going to use a DLP projector, not a plasma or LCD.

OP, look up a replacement lamp. They're pretty cheap now.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
flyby08 is on a distinguished road

flyby08's Tacoma Gallery
Projection TVs aren't that bad, we have a 55" in the living room that is still going strong. And to be honest they have at least double the life span of any flat screen, but you are not going to get of the fancy new features or refresh rates. More than likely the TV needs a new bulb which runs anywhere from $100 to $200, if you willing to spend a little money that is.
I hope this helps
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Negative.

My Samsung 56" DLP 1080p is projection and it has one of the best pictures I have ever seen in a HD TV. I can buy a replacement lamp every 4-6 years for under $100. It becomes brand new again. Plasma TV's start to wear out the minute you plug them in with a noticeable quality drop after just a few years. Same for LCD. The technology jump from the old 3 color front projectors to some of the high quality DLP units is amazing.

BTW, there's a reason the best home theater projectors use DLP. A true "movie room" is going to use a DLP projector, not a plasma or LCD.

OP, look up a replacement lamp. They're pretty cheap now.
Tell that to my LG LED, then try and mount your's on the wall.....
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
shades4x4 is on a distinguished road

shades4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check to see if it uses a color wheel. My Samsung had weird colors when it started dying due to the color wheel not spinning properly.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
projection and dlp not same. he should have left it where he found it.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Tell that to my LG LED, then try and mount your's on the wall.....
Any LCD still has a shelf life, most LED's are lasting 80k+ hours but show noticeable wear at 40k.

Ask a home theater professional, and I don't mean the kid at best buy.

Also, a wall ... really? That's what you got? lol. I see no reason to want to mount my TV to a wall. The majority of the time I see Tv's on a wall there's still some sort of a stand underneath it which holds the non-wall mounting DVD players, Game consoles, Cable boxes, Receivers .. etc.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Recklessly tired

But yes, in this case this Sony is a non DLP projection CRT. You can try a lamp but in reality, it's outlasted it's expected life.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I previously had a 19 inch 10 year old toshiba. It was garbage. I messed with the lamps a bit and cleaned 'em a little more as well as manually adjusting the convergence instead of using the "auto" function. I'd say its 90% better, as good as any newer lower end HD television.

This TV is in my living room and is pretty much only used for gaming or when we have company over. I have a 32" LED tv in my bedroom.