Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Recommend a good book.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
MSR will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
MSR's Tacoma Gallery
Recommend a good book.

I need a recommendation for a new book to read. I usually read the likes of Chuck Klosterman, Dave Eggers, Bill Bryson, etc. I am getting into WWII history and rock/metal biographies also. I have a long flight to Boston coming up and stumped as far as what to read on the flight.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoyed World War Z. Found it at a library used book sale. Someone had accidentally put it in the World War 2 section. kinda funny since it's fiction.

Or is it? *dramatic music*
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
My girl just read 50 Shades Of Grey. Maybe I am not recommending it for you per say.. but you will thank me when you give that book to your girl.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
zphly is on a distinguished road
zphly's Tacoma Gallery
You read any of John Krakauer's stuff?

Into the Wild, Into Thin Air... etc.? Check out "Under the Banner of Heaven"
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

MSR's Tacoma Gallery
I have read John krakauer. Love all his stuff. Under the Banner of Heaven was a great insight into the strange world of fundamentalist Mormans. Into the Wild was a strange one too.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Playboy--just read the articles!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
Beat me to it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

MSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post

Yes! Correct answer! Actually Playboy used to have great articles, I haven't read one in years. I once bought five years worth of Playboys from the 70's at an estate sale for 5 bucks. Wish I still had them, they are valuable nowadays.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Catbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Catbone's Tacoma Gallery
The literary quality of Playboy was high enough in the 70's that some high schools stocked in the school library - including mine. But any more it is a POS like Maxim.

Read "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson. Its got Chinese hackers, Russian Gangsters, Afghan Terrorists, CIA snake eaters, and Idaho survivalists. Nothing could go wrong.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpedal View Post
I enjoyed World War Z. Found it at a library used book sale. Someone had accidentally put it in the World War 2 section. kinda funny since it's fiction.

Or is it? *dramatic music*
I love the zombie genre but I did not like that book.

If you like WWII stuff check out "Unbroken". Its an amazing book!

If you liked the hunger games check out the "Divergent" series. Its similar in some aspects but a really good, easy read.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

MSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbone View Post
The literary quality of Playboy was high enough in the 70's that some high schools stocked in the school library - including mine. But any more it is a POS like Maxim.

Read "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson. Its got Chinese hackers, Russian Gangsters, Afghan Terrorists, CIA snake eaters, and Idaho survivalists. Nothing could go wrong.
The internet has killed the magazine industry. I agree, Playboy used to be very good reading.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Day by day armageddon is an awesome Zombie book. I highly recomend that one. there are two books out right now and the third comes out next year

for "end of the world" type survivalist books check out

Lights out
one second after
selection event (currently reading this, so far so good.)
Wool (6 part series, 1-5 are only like 5 bucks total on kindle)
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Steven King's Dark Tower series. You won't put it down until you are done with all 7 books.
Also, Dale Brown writes some excellent war plane books. Anything with the DreamLand name is good.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3VE View Post
My girl just read 50 Shades Of Grey. Maybe I am not recommending it for you per say.. but you will thank me when you give that book to your girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR View Post
I need a recommendation for a new book to read. I usually read the likes of Chuck Klosterman, Dave Eggers, Bill Bryson, etc. I am getting into WWII history and rock/metal biographies also. I have a long flight to Boston coming up and stumped as far as what to read on the flight.

Thanks
For a rock biography I enjoy Hammer of the Gods back in high school. Led Zeppelin is still one of my favorite bands. It's an easy, entertaining read.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #15

MSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Steven King's Dark Tower series. You won't put it down until you are done with all 7 books.
Also, Dale Brown writes some excellent war plane books. Anything with the DreamLand name is good.
I read those and you are right, I could not put those down.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #16

MSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

For a rock biography I enjoy Hammer of the Gods back in high school. Led Zeppelin is still one of my favorite bands. It's an easy, entertaining read.
One of my top favorite bands also, that book I have always wanted to read.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
ecupcar is on a distinguished road

ecupcar's Tacoma Gallery
Read anything by Vince Flynn. He writes about an American Assassin. You will not be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Fearless by Eric Blehm. Read it and be prepared to wipe your eyes. Like the movie Act of Valor.. if youre not teary eyed at the end you might as well be a card carrying member of the Taliban.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
can't read
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Cloud Atlas. Theres a movie coming out for it.... looks like its either going to be an amazing movie or a complete trash, but the storyline looks to complicated to get with a movie, MUST READ THE BOOK