Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

you ever re-read a book assigned to you in high school?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you ever re-read a book assigned to you in high school?

just wondering. i didnt put any effort into any of the reading assignments. i assume i wasnt doing myself any favors.

anyone ever go back?

i found Lord of the Flies, and Of Mice and Men..worth the time. quick reads actually.

next: Catcher in the Rye,.

you?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I've always enjoyed reading and writing, I remember Mice and Men, that is a good read. To Kill a Mocking Bird was fun too. Any of Shakespeare's works are awesome, really dark though, people that think Romeo and Juliet is a happy, frilly love tale are dead wrong. It's anything but that lol. Macbeth and Hamlet are my personal favorites.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
No.

The books i was forced to read were shitty. Nectar in a Sieve and Princess Bride should have never made it to publication
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, quite a few. "Flowers For Algernon" and "Brave New World".

I love them both, even if the message is one I don't quite believe in!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't even read them in high school. I was a professional BS'r on those essays
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Brave New World and Catcher in the Rye FTW.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I didn't even read them in high school. I was a professional BS'r on those essays
Pretty much this ^^
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Yes, quite a few. "Flowers For Algernon" and "Brave New World".

I love them both, even if the message is one I don't quite believe in!
"Flowers for Algernon" was a BA story. the movie "Awakenings" was based on that book and was also phenomenal.

to answer the original question, i re-read "Bright lights, big city"
it was written in second person and all about drugs...if only the teacher knew...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Pretty much this ^^
You are both dead to me. Dead.

In 5th grade, my teacher read these books aloud to the whole class:

The Hobbit
To Kill a Mockingbird
Animal Farm

He also raced mortorcycles, rode a Honda 400 four with Kerker pipes to work (school), and threw chalk at us if we were out of line. He threw a lot of chalk at me.

Most favoritist teacher ever.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
"Flowers for Algernon" was a BA story. the movie "Awakenings" was based on that book and was also phenomenal.

to answer the original question, i re-read "Bright lights, big city"
it was written in second person and all about drugs...if only the teacher knew...

Close. An actual "Flowers for Algernon" movie was made in the early 70's with Cliff Robertson. "Awakenings" with Robert Deniro and Robin Williams was based on a true story. The first one was a good movie, while "Awakening's" was GREAT!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
I never read an entire book in HS. Hated reading. BS'd all my essays. Now I read a book every other week. Weird how things change.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You are both dead to me. Dead.

In 5th grade, my teacher read these books aloud to the whole class:

The Hobbit
To Kill a Mockingbird
Animal Farm

He also raced mortorcycles, rode a Honda 400 four with Kerker pipes to work (school), and threw chalk at us if we were out of line. He threw a lot of chalk at me.

Most favoritist teacher ever.
The Hobbit and To Kill a Mockingbird were actually really good, I did read those

I also had a teacher that threw erasers at kids, also my favorite teacher.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Close. An actual "Flowers for Algernon" movie was made in the early 70's with Cliff Robertson. "Awakenings" with Robert Deniro and Robin Williams was based on a true story. The first one was a good movie, while "Awakening's" was GREAT!
my English teacher made us read the story and then watch that movie to compare...

either way, i agree. that movie was great!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Cbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sebastian
Cbass38's Tacoma Gallery
that would require having read it the first time ?
negative
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Quote:
Thread derail... I had a Phys Ed teacher that use to throw erasers also, except one time he accidentaly threw a master lock by mistake! A mistake that blew a couple of teeth out of a student, cost the district a shitload of $$$ and cost that teacher his job.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Hobbit and To Kill a Mockingbird were actually really good, I did read those

ive read both for school assignments and for leisure. need to reread The Hobbit again here quick like too. movie comes out soon!

and my favorite teacher gave us all lists of things to steal around the school and bring to his classroom when they moved him out to a trailer. he was also 58 years old, ran 10 miles every morning, 4 feet tall, a massive jimmy buffet fan, and rode his car with the windows down all year long. . . i said all . . year . . long.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Thread derail... I had a Phys Ed teacher that use to throw erasers also, except one time he accidentaly threw a master lock by mistake! A mistake that blew a couple of teeth out of a student, cost the district a shitload of $$$ and cost that teacher his job.
Erasers are for pussies. Chalk hurt and was terrifying. It exploded, too. Ah, the seventies.

master locks...well...all I can say is...things would be a lot better if they did that today!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We had an "Advanced Gym" class in HS. The teacher was an Ex Marine Door Gunner on Huey's in Vietnam. He was nuts, but awesome. He walked around with a rounded yard stick and smacked ppl with it. You had to have your parents sign a waiver. He retired in 2002. Couldnt get away with that anymore.

Back to books, Hamlet and Macbeth, and great expectations were my favs. I prefered English Lit. I was always bored with American Lit.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in college, I had to take a lit elective so I took Scifi lit. It was cool, the professor was a total nerd but still a cool guy. We read Flowers for Algernon, Blade Runner, Dune, I cant remember what else. FYI Dune is a lot different than the movie. I got a big F on that paper.