Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Discovey Channel's storm chasers Tim Samaras killed in OK tornado.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Discovey Channel's storm chasers Tim Samaras killed in OK tornado.

Any fans of the show, found out Tim Samaras and his driver from the show Carl Young also Tim's son died while chasing in OK. On May 31st.
http://m.usmag.com/?redirurl=/celebr...tornado-201326
Sad to here.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Non-mobile version:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...tornado-201326
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Thanks, didn't think about since posting it from my phone.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Read this earlier...it sucks...sucks even more the a-holes commenting on the yahoo article calling them idiots and stupid for being out there...someone has to do it. weather people can't tell when or where one is on ground just by the charts.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The problem is, the TV shows have popularized it and people don't see it as an actual "job"... it is painted as something more of a daredevil hobby type thing. The shows don't push the scientific angle, because it doesn't get ratings.

20 years ago, the Discovery/History network was about education. For the last 10, it's been 100% ratings... Aliens, how the planet will die, pawn shops, restoration, car/house flipping.....
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
Read this earlier...it sucks...sucks even more the a-holes commenting on the yahoo article calling them idiots and stupid for being out there...someone has to do it. weather people can't tell when or where one is on ground just by the charts.
That's a shame. People like him have done so much for the advancement in severe weather knowledge.

Quote:
The problem is, the TV shows have popularized it and people don't see it as an actual "job"... it is painted as something more of a daredevil hobby type thing. The shows don't push the scientific angle, because it doesn't get ratings.

20 years ago, the Discovery/History network was about education. For the last 10, it's been 100% ratings... Aliens, how the planet will die, pawn shops, restoration, car/house flipping.....
I'm not sure its so much the shows tv shows fault. I was a big fan of the show, because I've always been interested in severe weather. I remember when I was maybe 8 or 9yo and saw clouds spinning right above my house, and I was scared shitless, ever since I was interested. So that show was great for me cause I can't see those things in person.

What the problem is, is that their is "dare devils" out there who do stupid shit, and storm chasers get a bad rep. Reed Timmer could be seen as somewhat of a dare devil, specialy how amped up he got about it.

With that said, I think fans of the show realize its not a dare devil thing. They where always, specialy Tim Samaras, was always very clear about why he was doing what he was doing.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
I SO hated to read this..Tim was my favorite chaser from the tv series..and also watched alot of his youtube videos..he was a extremely smart and cool guy! He actually was out there for a good reason..not to just take video..but to record stuff..not to mention most of the gear he used he had invented himself! Sucks to loose the best of the best..but obviously this was no regular tornado. They are saying it was an EF5 with 296mph(measured by doppler) and grew from 1 mile to 2.6 miles in 30 seconds..and of course the two sharp turns/accelerations...there were alot of other chasers that nearly got killed too..crazy stuff..

All this reminds me of how stupid people are...most of the guys out there just wanted to get a video of it and get a thrill from it..like my friend..i told her to just stay away cause you couldnt see it unless you were right up against it...Reed and Tim were probably the only ones there doing more than just taking video(altho reed i see as a bit more video/thrill than a researcher lol)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #8

Yeah, pretty sad. Saw a pic if the car he was in. Just a ball of metal. Said he was still seat belted in, the other two got thrown. One I think they said a half mile away, or a mile. Not sure which.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Let's keep in mind that these guys got started in the biz by chasing tornadoes and getting them on video so they could SELL their footage for an income. The Discovery show and their research efforts came secondary, almost out of obligation. They started it as a business (if you all remember the early episodes when they explain this) and they made a killing at it. At least they died doing what they enjoyed, and what made them rich. Good for them.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Yeah, pretty sad. Saw a pic if the car he was in. Just a ball of metal. Said he was still seat belted in, the other two got thrown. One I think they said a half mile away, or a mile. Not sure which.
Yea something like that..and yea..just found the pic of his truck..definitely what I would call not very sidewind friendly with all box on the back...

And yea..one can argue on the research vs thrill/video taking..but all you have to do is look at his vehicle and what arsenal of equipment he carried around. He wasn't there just to take video.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
With that said, I think fans of the show realize its not a dare devil thing. They where always, specialy Tim Samaras, was always very clear about why he was doing what he was doing.
The actual fans, absolutely. It's those who only have had limited exposure... and I admit to not being a fan and rarely watch, but I do appreciate what they do.
But people who have only had limited exposure and don't have a scientific mind are the same kind of people who are going to leave the negative comments on the posts.

Very sad day indeed. Hopefully it will reinforce the danger and prevent those who are not properly educated and prepared from getting into it.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
The actual fans, absolutely. It's those who only have had limited exposure... and I admit to not being a fan and rarely watch, but I do appreciate what they do.
But people who have only had limited exposure and don't have a scientific mind are the same kind of people who are going to leave the negative comments on the posts.

Very sad day indeed. Hopefully it will reinforce the danger and prevent those who are not properly educated and prepared from getting into it.
Good point.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sad to hear!

and I loved the show. mostly because i like server weather.

I always wondered why him and his crew did not have a “armored” car/suv like the other 2 main groups do.

Also i think some people think you are nuts/crazy/stupid ect if you do anything other then a 9 to 5 job. or anything that is “different”
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
TRDZR2 is on a distinguished road
TRDZR2's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, Samaras and crew were in a little white Chevy Cobalt. Plenty of pics online. There was also a Suburban all stickered up that also took a pretty direct hit and injured the chasers. To be honest, I was surprised they were in a Cobalt, but sometimes you drive what you have that day as these storms pop up. Either way, the choice of vehicle may not have mattered, but you wouldn't find me chasing in a compact car.

It's been a tough year for everyone in Tornado Alley. God bless them.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Let's keep in mind that these guys got started in the biz by chasing tornadoes and getting them on video so they could SELL their footage for an income. The Discovery show and their research efforts came secondary, almost out of obligation. They started it as a business (if you all remember the early episodes when they explain this) and they made a killing at it. At least they died doing what they enjoyed, and what made them rich. Good for them.
You're thinking of the wrong people, Tim and his team weren't even in the first seasons.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDZR2 View Post

It's been a tough year for everyone in Tornado Alley. God bless them.
X2
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Mechanically Goofy

Discovery channel.. tribute to Tim and the tornado in Moore it seems
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Discovery channel.. tribute to Tim and the tornado in Moore it seems
im watching it
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Damn ! I just seen the car . So I'm assuming he caught the tornado ? Is there footage ? I wonder if any of those specially made vehicles have a real chance being caught in a high powered tornado .
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
200mph winds would take about anything out.