1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discovey Channel's storm chasers Tim Samaras killed in OK tornado.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DEEVON911, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
  2. Jun 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
  3. Jun 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
  4. Jun 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Read this earlier...it sucks...sucks even more the a-holes commenting on the yahoo article calling them idiots and stupid for being out there...someone has to do it. weather people can't tell when or where one is on ground just by the charts.

5. Jun 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The problem is, the TV shows have popularized it and people don't see it as an actual "job"... it is painted as something more of a daredevil hobby type thing. The shows don't push the scientific angle, because it doesn't get ratings.

20 years ago, the Discovery/History network was about education. For the last 10, it's been 100% ratings... Aliens, how the planet will die, pawn shops, restoration, car/house flipping.....

6. Jun 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    That's a shame. People like him have done so much for the advancement in severe weather knowledge.

I'm not sure its so much the shows tv shows fault. I was a big fan of the show, because I've always been interested in severe weather. I remember when I was maybe 8 or 9yo and saw clouds spinning right above my house, and I was scared shitless, ever since I was interested. So that show was great for me cause I can't see those things in person.

What the problem is, is that their is "dare devils" out there who do stupid shit, and storm chasers get a bad rep. Reed Timmer could be seen as somewhat of a dare devil, specialy how amped up he got about it.

With that said, I think fans of the show realize its not a dare devil thing. They where always, specialy Tim Samaras, was always very clear about why he was doing what he was doing.

7. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    I SO hated to read this..Tim was my favorite chaser from the tv series..and also watched alot of his youtube videos..he was a extremely smart and cool guy! He actually was out there for a good reason..not to just take video..but to record stuff..not to mention most of the gear he used he had invented himself! Sucks to loose the best of the best..but obviously this was no regular tornado. They are saying it was an EF5 with 296mph(measured by doppler) and grew from 1 mile to 2.6 miles in 30 seconds..and of course the two sharp turns/accelerations...there were alot of other chasers that nearly got killed too..crazy stuff..

All this reminds me of how stupid people are...most of the guys out there just wanted to get a video of it and get a thrill from it..like my friend..i told her to just stay away cause you couldnt see it unless you were right up against it...Reed and Tim were probably the only ones there doing more than just taking video(altho reed i see as a bit more video/thrill than a researcher lol)

8. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, pretty sad. Saw a pic if the car he was in. Just a ball of metal. Said he was still seat belted in, the other two got thrown. One I think they said a half mile away, or a mile. Not sure which.

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Let's keep in mind that these guys got started in the biz by chasing tornadoes and getting them on video so they could SELL their footage for an income. The Discovery show and their research efforts came secondary, almost out of obligation. They started it as a business (if you all remember the early episodes when they explain this) and they made a killing at it. At least they died doing what they enjoyed, and what made them rich. Good for them.

10. Jun 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    neonlazer

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Yea something like that..and yea..just found the pic of his truck..definitely what I would call not very sidewind friendly with all box on the back...

And yea..one can argue on the research vs thrill/video taking..but all you have to do is look at his vehicle and what arsenal of equipment he carried around. He wasn't there just to take video.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The actual fans, absolutely. It's those who only have had limited exposure... and I admit to not being a fan and rarely watch, but I do appreciate what they do.
    But people who have only had limited exposure and don't have a scientific mind are the same kind of people who are going to leave the negative comments on the posts.

Very sad day indeed. Hopefully it will reinforce the danger and prevent those who are not properly educated and prepared from getting into it.

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Good point. :cool:

13. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    sad to hear!

and I loved the show. mostly because i like server weather.

I always wondered why him and his crew did not have a “armored” car/suv like the other 2 main groups do.

Also i think some people think you are nuts/crazy/stupid ect if you do anything other then a 9 to 5 job. or anything that is “different”

14. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    EF

EF Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road Blue Ribbon
    Actually, Samaras and crew were in a little white Chevy Cobalt. Plenty of pics online. There was also a Suburban all stickered up that also took a pretty direct hit and injured the chasers. To be honest, I was surprised they were in a Cobalt, but sometimes you drive what you have that day as these storms pop up. Either way, the choice of vehicle may not have mattered, but you wouldn't find me chasing in a compact car.

It's been a tough year for everyone in Tornado Alley. God bless them.

15. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 [OP] Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    X2

16. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    neonlazer

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Discovery channel.. tribute to Tim and the tornado in Moore it seems

17. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    im watching it :anonymous:

18. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    200mph winds would take about anything out.

19. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    neonlazer

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Yea.. don't think they measured the winds with mobile radar like the El Reno tornado but 200+ based on damage.. and I remember watching the episode where Tim got his first probe intercept...was that his son in the back?, if anyone knows

20. Jun 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    teamamerica

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    Shows pretty funny, I've never seen so many excited nerds before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top