Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Has anybody got rid of cable or satelite?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Also, my Samsung HDTV is a smart Tv so can it pick up our laptop signal and we can stream tv from the laptop onto the TV?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
So chiming in here. I go rid of cable initially. After saving a ton of cash through 18 months, I decided to splurge and get satellite. That lasted for a week and now I'm back to no cable/no satellite.

I installed an HD antenna on my house. Yes they are not stealthy, but I have my antenna mounted on the side of my house behind the fireplace area (not sure what it's called) so it is hidden from view. I really don't even notice it. A coax from the antenna goes to my crawlspace where it re-enters in the garage and is hooked up to a coax amp. The amp sends the OTA signal to the TVs in the house and to a HDHomeRun by SiliconDust.

This allows me to watch HD OTA from any TV or computer in the house which covered network TV and major sporting events. I have a PS3 and Xbox hooked up to the TVs for movies from Netflix, VUDU, etc.

Only real gap here is ESPN and local sports. To solve that problem, I put a slingbox at my parents' house up the road. Yeah it's definitely not HD but it gets me by.

So I've invested about $100 for antenna and wiring to get me to this place. Add optional items such as another $100 for the HDHomeRun and $200 for a Slingbox which totals $400. Finally $10/month to have a dedicated cablebox for my Slingbox. My computer is able to DVR any show I want. Essentially you can fill in the gaps with minimal cost.

Cable used to cost $100/month. I have a separate rant I could throw about Comcast but that's for a different thread. There is a noticeable benefit to my pocketbook now.

The biggest benefit I've noticed is a change in how I watch TV. I used to sit there and watch a show, surf during commercials, etc. Basically watch a lot of CRAP. Now I never watch commercials and watch only what I want to watch. I realized that what I really want to watch is a lot less that what I was watching. I never looked back and find myself wondering why I used to waste so much time on TV. It sounds like a leap of faith but if you go for it you might be surprised how little you even want to fill in the gaps.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
I know our laptop won't act as a dvr b/c I think its about 5-6 years old probably. It doesn't have HDMI port either so I'm assuming its pretty old. Do all new laptops come with dvr capabilities?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3umph View Post
I cut cable about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. I get 20 channels on broadcast and use the free hulu for anytime I want to set down and watch tv and nothing is on.
Same. Love my free HD channels
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
How new are the shows on hulu or netflix? Also, do I need to get some sort of antenna for the tv for it to pick up ota channels? I really don't want to have to get one of those big antennas that you stick outside. How is the picture quality?
There's a little bit of a wait period on when the shows show up on Hulu, but it's usually not that bad IMO. It's the same show whether I watch it now or in a few days.

Yes, you'll need an antenna. I actually have my antenna installed in my attic, so no problem with house aesthetics. The channels are all digital and all of the major network channels are in HD.

Quote:
Also, my Samsung HDTV is a smart Tv so can it pick up our laptop signal and we can stream tv from the laptop onto the TV?
Depends... if your laptop and TV both have WiDi then yes, if not then no.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #25
Which is better hulu or netflix? Also, will my HDTV pick up any channels without an antenna hooked up to it?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Which is better hulu or netflix? Also, will my HDTV pick up any channels without an antenna hooked up to it?
Probably not. Depending on where you live, you may have enough signal strength to use a smaller HD antenna indoors or an antenna in your attic. Tough to know until you try. Check here to start getting an idea:
http://www.antennaweb.org/

Hulu and Netflix have different purposes. Hulu is in partnership with the networks and have much more current shows but not many movies.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #27

Quote:
I know our laptop won't act as a dvr b/c I think its about 5-6 years old probably. It doesn't have HDMI port either so I'm assuming its pretty old. Do all new laptops come with dvr capabilities?
No. Most will require software. Windows Media Center has worked well for me to record shows (which used to come free with Windows in many cases until Windows 8). It's $10 with Windows 8.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have internet through a cable company try hooking up your tv to the cable, I pick up like 20 channels.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Cable free for most of 8 years now. With the Roku 3 we get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon etc.
Planning on a dedicated computer to the TV soon to stream my Duck Dynasty
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
Cable free for most of 8 years now. With the Roku 3 we get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon etc.
Planning on a dedicated computer to the TV soon to stream my Duck Dynasty
Same with the Xbox360.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Going on about 6 months without cable. I pulled a lot more stations while stationed in Ft. Bragg YMMV, Netflix keeps the kids happy with cartoons.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Hulu streams tv episodes the day after they premiere on tv. So if you have a new episode of the show you like premiering tonight, it will be on hulu plus tomorrow. Netflix has movies that came out five years ago, and very rarely anything newer then that. And they have tv shows, but only up to about two seasons ago usually. I like netflix, but watched most of the stuff that interests me so I bought hulu plus for 8 bucks a month and watch all the seasons of shows that look interesting.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
Ritsui is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Ritsui's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Been thinking bout doing this.
Here's my take: if you can pickup the remote at any random time of day and find something you really want to watch, then you should probably keep cable/satellite. If you pickup up the remote, see 286 channels of shit and walk away, then shut it off.

If you're already paying for internet, with just an antenna and a roku or any current blu-ray player, you can get everything... except real-time network programming and 'premium' sports for $15/mo (hulu + Netflix).

We just (temporarily) turned satellite back on and the ONLY things I'm watching I can't get on the web/netflix are shitty local news reports about things I already saw online and freaking car chases. It's pathetic.

All the major networks have web broadcasts, so unless you're addicted to sports or getting specific shows right when the network chooses to air them... you probably won't miss it.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
No cable, no satellite, no television channels at all actually, and no problems

Go do something else.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
No cable, no satellite, no television channels at all actually, and no problems

Go do something else.

...with all the money you save.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Satellite TV seemed OK for the first few months but I quickly realized it was just a lot of jesus channels, infomercials and sports; the 3 things I LEAST want to watch. Canceled it about 2 years ago and got Netflix instead. Now when I try to watch the news I get fucking pissed because of all the commercials. I've already become used to never seeing commercials when I watch TV.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #38
I downloaded the Hulu Plus (its not a trial or I haven't paid for the service) and I got up there just to browse and Days of our Lives(wife) and Duck Dynasty both say that they aren't authorized or previledged yet on a Xbox 360. Said I could watch on hulu.com on a computer.

I would keep our internet through the cable company so, does that mean I could still connect the coax cable to the back of the tv and get the local channels for news?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I use Netflix through the apple TV and Torrent all the latest seasons of shows I like onto my computer. My wife watches "The Voice" and they air the show through NBC the next day. Stream it to the TV.

Torrent all the movies I want to watch use airplay to watch them on the TV. Makes life a hell of a lot easier and it also keeps us from turning on the TV and channel surfing for a few hours on a Saturday morning. Easy to do when DirecTV offers 200 channels of mindless crap.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #40
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
I actually chose to pay the early contract cancellation fee and it was the most liberating thing I've done in a long time. Got an extra $100 in my pocket every month and I don't watch all the useless shit because I can. We have netflix and internet. Which we still manage to waste plenty of time with.
There's a reason they call it Programing.

Products Discussed in this Thread