Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Has anybody got rid of cable or satelite?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #41
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
If you have internet through a cable company try hooking up your tv to the cable, I pick up like 20 channels.
I tried this last night. Well first I tried with nothing hooked to tv and set tuner as antenna and go no channels. When I screwed the cable coax to the tv and left the tuner as antenna I got 24 channels. Then switched back to cable tuner. So, if I keep the internet, I will still be able to use the cable out of the floor to hook to the tv to get 24 channels?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #42
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I tried this last night. Well first I tried with nothing hooked to tv and set tuner as antenna and go no channels. When I screwed the cable coax to the tv and left the tuner as antenna I got 24 channels. Then switched back to cable tuner. So, if I keep the internet, I will still be able to use the cable out of the floor to hook to the tv to get 24 channels?
That's what I'm doing, sign up for a streaming service like netflix and profit. Of course your mileage may vary.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #43
Quote:
That's what I'm doing, sign up for a streaming service like netflix and profit. Of course your mileage may vary.
So is this how I will have to watch it is with the cable still hooked to the tv?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #44
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread.

I'm about to choke out everyone associated with time warner. Maybe it's time to just cut them loose
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #45
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have either. I have internet and i use my nexflix from my 360 to watch my tv shows and documentaries.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #46
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
anyone see the new southpark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRszlzea1M
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have cable internet? Will you keep it. I cut out cable and got rid of my TV 3 or 4 years ago. Don't miss it at all once you get used to it.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #48
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
I have been without Cable TV or satellite services for 3 years now. I have cable internet and use an Apple TV to access Netflix and Hulu Plus content. I am considering installing an attic antenna to get over-the-air programming now that we are in a house.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #49
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So is this how I will have to watch it is with the cable still hooked to the tv?
I have no idea what your asking. Do you think if you disconnect the cable that you will still have channels come in?

You said you didn't pick anything up without an antenna or cable plugged in.

So I guess my answer is yes.?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #50
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
My cable Internet runs ~$65 a month. Basic cable is included, along with the basic cable shows on Comcast's website. I use netflix, which usually has shows from the last season, and Comcast.net for current shows. But honestly I've started reading books which are just as, if not more so, entertaining as cable.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #51
Quote:
I have no idea what your asking. Do you think if you disconnect the cable that you will still have channels come in?

You said you didn't pick anything up without an antenna or cable plugged in.

So I guess my answer is yes.?

Yeah I just didn't understand why I didn't have any channels with the cable not hooked up and set tuner at antenna, then I hooked cable coax back up and left tuner at antenna and got 24 channels. I will be keeping our cable internet and the coax is the same so I just leave the cable plugged in to watch tv. I think I can hook our laptop to the tv with a VGA cable. Not sure if walmart have those or not, for my wife to watch her show.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, she can watch the soap on NBC.com. Just hook up your computer, or get one of those boxes.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #53
Shetto24 is on a distinguished road

Shetto24's Tacoma Gallery
Cut the cord 2 years ago and some of the best money well saved. I use an external antenna to pickup OTA broadcast of the major stations (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and some PBS). It's the cheapest and most effective way to catch live local news, and national sports events when broadcast, like the Sunday NFL games and soon MLB playoffs on FOX and clarity is in HD. I also have a Roku to stream content and my PC for other streaming stuff i.e. annual MotoGP video pass. The Roku is one badass little device that I use to stream Amazon Prime, Crackle etc. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
I just need to get a VGA cord to hook up from my laptop(about a 5 or 6 year old laptop) to the tv? I haven't tried to download crackle on the xbox to see what all they have to offer
Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #55
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
We haven't had cable TV for 12 years and don't miss it one bit.

Just $17 a month for all the Netflix movies we want to watch.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #56
Sorry to keep asking questions, so I it looks like I need the VGA cable with the audio cable with it, about $35 at walmart. Is there a way for me to hook it up to our surround sound? I know I will have to hook the vga cord directly from the laptop to tv but didn't know about sound. If not I guess its no big deal. I know I can stream the Days of our lives on NBC on the computer, but has anyone ever streamed any duck dynasty? If so, what website or is it just on the AE channel site?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #57
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
I've never done it before as I don't have a TV. Check your owners manuals, I'm sure there are guides on Google too. http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/ see if that is what you want.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #58
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Look into chromecast too. It might be useful
Old 10-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #59
I went to the cable company and I went in and gave them our DVR and I told them that I wanted to cut our cable off except for the internet? She asked why and I told her that we were trying to save a little money. The lady said that we offer a channels 2-30 package for $27.99 a month. It has all our local channels, a weather radar channel and a few more. She said that way if you decide to get cable again we wouldn't have to come out and activate it and hook it back up. She said this way we were just putting a patch on it. Was this a smart thing to do or did I just make a dumb decision AGAIN?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #60
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went to the cable company and I went in and gave them our DVR and I told them that I wanted to cut our cable off except for the internet? She asked why and I told her that we were trying to save a little money. The lady said that we offer a channels 2-30 package for $27.99 a month. It has all our local channels, a weather radar channel and a few more. She said that way if you decide to get cable again we wouldn't have to come out and activate it and hook it back up. She said this way we were just putting a patch on it. Was this a smart thing to do or did I just make a dumb decision AGAIN?
Not a bad way to go.
If you do reactivate the full package you won't have a service charge for the field visit.

And as nice as Hulu and Netflix are, there is still a legitimate need for local news when shit hit's the fan.

Products Discussed in this Thread