Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment

Notices

Has anybody got rid of cable or satelite?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody got rid of cable or satelite?

My wife and I were talking the other day about getting rid of our cable. I've seen those boxes that you can get that has different channels. I know Netgear makes one for like $50-$75. Its like streaming tv I guess, I'm not really sure how to explain. Only bad thing is, my wife likes to DVR "Days of our Lives" (soap opera on ABC I think) and don't know if she can still watch that. Do any of you have one of these boxes? If so, how do you like it and I assume you still use internet through it.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
I still watch the basic 12 for free yo.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know how it is on your neck of the woods, but here, in Texas, I only pay for internet service with Time Warner who is also the main cable company in this region. Needless to say, they send both signals thru the same coax (Ethernet and Cable), so inevitably, I can get basic cable for free, since is naturally broadcasted thru the coax. So I get to have basic cable channels plus internet and only have to pay for internet. even like that, we don't watch TV anymore. Kids only watch Netflix and wife and I movies from either Netflix or Redbox.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
you can get basic for free but i think your issue is RECORDING her show.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
you can get basic for free but i think your issue is RECORDING her show.
Video Cassette Recorder FTMFW.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
CND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to beholdCND2009 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Avionics
CND2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
My wife and I were talking the other day about getting rid of our cable. I've seen those boxes that you can get that has different channels. I know Netgear makes one for like $50-$75. Its like streaming tv I guess, I'm not really sure how to explain. Only bad thing is, my wife likes to DVR "Days of our Lives" (soap opera on ABC I think) and don't know if she can still watch that. Do any of you have one of these boxes? If so, how do you like it and I assume you still use internet through it.
We cut cable 2 years ago, not sure about that show in particular but check the network website or hulu. My wife watched General hospital I think it was for a while and she could watch that way. We use hulu and netflix through HTPC but have used PS3 or something similar as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
that requires somebody to be home and press "record"
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
faceplant is on a distinguished road
faceplant's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and i have only used internet for tv/movies for 2 years now. honestly i can watch almost anything i want. the hardest thing is getting through the first 2 months. i watch hulu and netflix through our computer that is connected to the tv. saved so much money.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Cut the cable a year ago and haven't looked back. I use AppleTV with Netflix and Hulu Plus... TV has Amazon on it so almost all the bases are covered.

In a pinch, I hook up my laptop to the TV via HDMI and stream from TV websites and it works good for the most part.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A VCR can be programmed to record at a given time. I think they can only record analog signals which could create a problem since everything is digital now.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Quote:
No, just learn to program the silly thing. I still use my VCR a lot..too cheap to pay another 12 bucks a month for DVR
Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winker View Post
A VCR can be programmed to record at a given time. I think they can only record analog signals which could create a problem since everything is digital now.
It would record it in analog if you are watching an HD show, which I concede could be an issue if you want that.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
BearDog007 is on a distinguished road

BearDog007's Tacoma Gallery
We cut the cable tyrant loose

We cut the cable company loose two months ago. Dropped the package of tv, phone, and internet down to internet only. We bought a $100 digital antenna for the roof and see all the ota channels that are available within 65 miles of our home in central Indiana.

We watch movies and many tv serials through Netflix run through my home computer and hardwired to my Samsung TV that only runs $9.95/mth.

Unless you are hooked on the "reality shows" or many of the other channels the tyrant makes you buy, you won't miss it and we'll be saving over a $100 a month!

Depending if your wife's serial is on an ota channel, a record-able dvd or vcr (yes, they are still around) would do the trick.

It's the fear of breaking free that's the hard part.

"trust the force Luke..you can do it"
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Been off the grid for 5 years now. Everything can be found on the web. Now I only watch what I want rather than wading through 250 channels of shit. The wife gets all her shows too. The only trouble is live sporting events. They are trickier to find.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by llibrm View Post
Been off the grid for 5 years now. Everything can be found on the web. Now I only watch what I want rather than wading through 250 channels of shit. The wife gets all her shows too. The only trouble is live sporting events. They are trickier to find.
I agree and the only real solution I have found for the live sports is to go down to the local bar. It gets the wife and I out of the house and its like a large party that you don't have to clean up afterwards.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
I agree and the only real solution I have found for the live sports is to go down to the local bar. It gets the wife and I out of the house and its like a large party that you don't have to clean up afterwards.
Plus it's cheaper to go out a few times each month than cable. Maybe gets more expensive during football season but overall cheaper.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
rev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant future
Name: Al
rev25sharp's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

i cut it after my roommate moved out. happy i did. would i rather have cable? umm not really. like others have said, internet access or netflix. just find a way. it is awesome when you realize how much your saving
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
I have an xbox 360 so i could watch some apps on that, just not sure about my wifes show. I like duck dynasty, not sure if thats on netflix, hulu,or another service. What do the streaming tv devices like roku(i think thats right) or like apple tv do?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
I cut cable about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. I get 20 channels on broadcast and use the free hulu for anytime I want to set down and watch tv and nothing is on. You can't access everything as you can with the pay hulu but it works for me. Both Days of our Lives and Duck Dynasty are on there, check it out and see if the programs you want are there and what restrictions apply. I do have a digital converter to receive the broadcast shows so I can record them on my old VCR if I want to record something when I'm not here but I don't think I've used it in over a year.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
How new are the shows on hulu or netflix? Also, do I need to get some sort of antenna for the tv for it to pick up ota channels? I really don't want to have to get one of those big antennas that you stick outside. How is the picture quality?

Products Discussed in this Thread