1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Theater System

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by nitrus5, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    nitrus5

nitrus5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am looking for a bad a$$ loud surround system!!

Does anyone have any reccomends or suggestions?? I want something i can hook my game systems up to as well as just tv.....

thanks

2. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    I would go with something by Bose. I have the Cinemate System and I love it. I know it is not a complete surround sound system but watching anything from sports to movies sound great with them.

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    price range?

4. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Without getting into the bose debate (Pwease, I don't wanna fight) - Please look (or rather listen) elsewhere.

Denon produces some very good receivers and pre/pro's depending on the route you want to go (just getting into it, I would say you better off getting a receiver - which is the processor and amplifier in one unit).

For speakers I like Polk (their Rti a series for example). JBL makes some very good speakers as well. What sounds good is very subjective, most people say they want as little "coloration" added from their audio equipment, that they want to hear what the artist intended, but the fact is many people have a preference one way or another - Ie warm or bright sounding.

Best advice I can give you, listen to as many speakers as possible with a broad range of audio content, decided if this will mostly be for music or movies, or both as this can affect which speakers are most ideal, as well as what you should look for in a receiver. Set a budget and try to stick to it. As far as receivers go it depends on what features/function/connections you will be needing. If you are after the latest and greatest, and you want something that will last and has good features look at denon, specifically the 2808 or 3808 ci (which is what I have).

Don't spend a ton of money on equipment than hook it up with lamp cord from the corner store, but don't pay a fortune either, monoprice.com - you will love them. Extremely well made cables, and for amazing prices.

Avsforum.com - if you decide to jump down the rabbit hole go there. It is addicting, as addicting as any other expensive hobby. I love watching movies, and am a bit of an audiophile, I love listening to crystal clear audio. when I watch a movie I want to be in the movie.

research, research, research, then buy and have fun.

My note on bose: I have a best friend who loves bose (aka blose - better sound through advertising) I even have myself a pair of their aviation headset which works great. If you ever go into a bose store their sales tactics is hilarious - their little show 'n tell skit is amusing. The simple fact is you can not accurately recreate the full frequency range with any authority with a small cube made of plastic and cardboard (don't be hating, I've torn one apart).

Bigger speakers with multiple drivers of different size with baffles and ports depending on the design can create the full spectrum of sound (down to about 20 hz, although generally speaking we don't want our main speakers to handle anything lower than 40hz, thats why we have a sub woofer, free's up the main speakers to work on the frequencies we want them too).

But, go listen for yourself. Bose are great for someone who does not want to deal with a lot of wires and connections, easier to set up, and in some cases use, but I will never recommend them.

5. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    martin logans, B&W (especially) make some amazing speakers, I'm currently dreaming of a 2 channel set up for dedicated music listening using a pair of B&W bookshelves - but ouch are they expensive!

Note #2 - yea a budget would really help with the recommendations. Also maybe the size/shape of the room height of the ceiling. Everything in the room can affect the sound, how thick are the walls, type of carpet, etc. Like I said, it depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you plan on going.

6. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....
    i have the standard sony bravia surround system from kmart lol for 299, great system great sound for the price if ur not looking to spend a grand on a setup something like that is deff the way to go

7. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    I have Marantz for receiver, Paradigm for front and back and HSU research for sub. Check out their websites.

8. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    Coreyjon - No problem, I bought them on clearance at the NEX here in Hawaii. Like them for what I use them for. Sounds like I should have gotten some advice from someone like you before I made my purchase a few weeks ago . . . :(

9. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    Hey - no worries man. I'm sure they sound fine, it's just for someone who is more serious in to audio I have trouble recommending them due to their limitations. If you are happy with them then there is no need to run out and upgrade. But when someone is starting out I try to steer them into a direction that generally lead to better results. I know some people who prefer bose because of how easy it is to set up and how few wires there are. If you got a deal on them and are happy then :thumbsup:

Hey its better than the stock 12w speaker in the tv!

Hey what base are you at, my cousin just got stationed on Hawaii. (he's wheeled vehicle maintenance).

10. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    I am at Schofield Barracks. Love it here!

11. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    nitrus5

nitrus5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    thanks for all the replies!! holy crap i have alot to think about!!

I am trying to stay under the 1K price range so the wife doesn't kill me. The living room i'm going to put it in is 17'x 20'. I have a buddy that swears by the bose systems. And I have been reading a bout the Sony Bravia system that is 1000 watts and has the wireless setup. I really like the idea of wireless.

I just don't want to buy a 300 dollar system and be disappointed later.

THANKS again for the help i'm trying to learn as much as i can right now.

12. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    I'm firmly against Bose. You pay a lot of money for their systems and they're pretty "meh" for sound quality.

Something to consider - IMO, it's better to buy good components and piece it together over time than it is to go cheap so you can get everything at once. I'm putting together a new sound setup for our living room and I'll be taking this path. Starting out with an Onkyo TX-SR507 5.1 receiver, two Polk 70 series floorstanding speakers, and a 12" Polk subwoofer. Then later on I'll add in the center and rear channels. I expect it to sound fantastic.

13. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:42 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Denon is what I have also. Awesome system!

14. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:50 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Yes cables are the key. If you are going to spend big bucks on the system, spend some on quality cables & a high end surge protector. I have top of the line cables with my system. You don't have to spend huge bucks on the cables. Deals can be found over the net.

When I bought my system, I had through work a discount with tweeter(hi Fi buys). Basically got most of it 60-70% off MSRP. I bought a $2500 setup for around $1100.

15. Nov 23, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Yeah save yourself from the Bose.. Go with Definitive Technologies. I also like some of the reference series klipsch subs!

16. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    Canadian Max

Canadian Max Yamaha

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    In the Garage
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4
    2010 TRD Sport 4 door Speedway Blue 4" Nerf Bars Vent visors Weathertechs Mats Hella 500 HID Mod Bull Bar Devil Horns Eclipse AVN 726E Energy Speakers
    Friends don't let friends buy Bose :eek:
    I picked up a Denon AVR 789, HTR matched it up with Paradigm speakers It's a 7.1 setup.. Very Happy

17. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    If its all highs and all lows, its gotta be bose.

Honestly, go to a stereo store, watch and listen. Find something that is in your budget and if it sounds good, your decision is made.

I have a hodgepodge of vintage Klipsch, Boston Acoustic, Adcom. I have it tweaked to where it sounds great.

Remember that good Theater equipment rarely makes for good music listening.

I have it so its selectable, 6.1 surround with in wall Bostons or straight adcom/Klipsch floor speaker for music listening. ZERO EQ.

Good luck.

18. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    757southpaw

757southpaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    I'd recommend a Yamaha RX-Vxxxx reciever w/ Polk Audio speakers. I'm a dealer if you need the speakers at a good price point! :)

19. Nov 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I've had Polk RTi8 (fronts), RTi5 (center), and FXi5 (rears) and a SVS sub for several years now and have been very happy with this setup. It's powered and controlled by a Harman Kardon 635 receiver and a Rotel amp. This is all quite a bit above the $1000 spending limit, but you can do like I did and buy pieces of it over a period of time. Here is a link to my system.

20. Nov 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I agree with you 100%

I personally have a polk audio setup in both my living room and master bedroom both driven by Onkyo recievers. I have always used polk audio. My dad got me hooked years ago. I also ran all of my speaker wire (14 guage) and AV wires in the walls when they were buiding my house. If you ever building a house, I extremely recommend spending some money on this as you will regret it later if you didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top