1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DirecTV Questions - Everywhere?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Janster, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Hi Gang,
    We've had DirecTV for many many years and we love it. We have the HD DVR box, and its hooked up to the internet and all that crap.

Basically, I want to be able to carry a laptop in every room and watch DirecTV whether its DVR'd OR live TV - without running cable lines all over the house and/or buying TV's for every room.

I have some questions about the Everywhere setup. I've done some research but still have some questions:

You need a GenieGO box (formally known as NOMAD). $125 give or take.
    Has anyone been able to get one at a discounted price from DirecTV (for being a valued customer)?

Is there an additional monthly FEE for this setup?

I'm mostly going to use this within our home - which is entirely WIFI. This will probably be on iphones, laptops, and Kindles (if an APP is available).

While onsite (WIFI) - you have direct 'streaming' to your device?

While onsite (WIFI) - Can you stream LIVE TV?

I've read that you can only download or stream items saved in your DVR. Is that true? If it is true - can you get around that by immediately recording a show on the DVR and then immediately (or some delay) start streaming it as its still recording? Or....can't you access the hard drive to do both at the same time?
    (did that make sense?)

Anyone unhappy with it? I've read bad reviews on the GenieGo boxes, but its always unknown if people have their stuff hooked up properly...??

2. Nov 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    bumb. sadly we don’t have HD set up. think mom is going to call soon and see about getting it in 3 rooms maybe all 4 rooms. i know when she called about it last time for one TV it was like $150 or $200. that was a few years ago as well.

I do think that they have an APP you can get for iphone/ipod. i know Mac books can get apps thru the mac app store, idk if it’s in there or not.

3. Nov 10, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You're actually talking about the *Whole Home* setup. The Whole Home setup is where you have all programming on all TV's and can pause, play, watch in every room (TV) via using HD DVR box and Genie box with mini boxes at each TV (hooked up to cable lines). Plus, you can get access to your phones, laptops, tablets (via App's / wifi). The Whole Home setup costs extra each month.....and the cost of the HD DVR box (if you don't already have one), plus Genie Box and mini boxes on each TV. Whole Home setup is direct connection to cable lines & streaming.

The *Everywhere* setup is only for phones, tablets, & laptops (wifi). You just need the GenieGO box setup to your HD DVR box (if you have one). From there, you hookup via WIFI to your App's on your phone/laptop/tablet. So, essentially...it's only streaming. This doesn't cost anything extra each month. Only the cost of the GenieGo box and/or the HD DVR box (which, we already have).

4. Nov 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    slingbox works pretty well

5. Nov 11, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Do you have one?

I've read that you need the box & computer software? Sounds a lot more complex for what I'm looking to do with it. App's cost extra too. Seems like the thing to get if you want to watch your DirecTV while on vacation or away from home.

I only want to watch things in other rooms of my house and keep it on the cheap.

School me....

Both the GenieGO and Slingbox get marginal reviews. I'm still researching....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top