Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Famous Fabrication

Notices

Famous Fabrication Rock Sliders

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #401
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
I used rattle-can primer then rattle-can flat black. Probably just going to do touch-ups with flat black.
If you hit it with a self-etching primer after a little wire brushing with a die grinder, it shouldn't rust as much. Even without using a wire brush, I'd still use a rust preventing primer if that's a concern.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #402
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. I'll probably do the self-etching primer and then black. I don't plan to have it contact anything off-road in the near future but it will happen some day. Just wasn't sure about flat, satin, semi-gloss, and all the other variants out there. Tempted to use the semi-gloss black BBQ grill paint that I used when I restored my 2001 Weber Genesis Silver B. That went on really well and holds up well too.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #403
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
Sounds good. I'll probably do the self-etching primer and then black. I don't plan to have it contact anything off-road in the near future but it will happen some day. Just wasn't sure about flat, satin, semi-gloss, and all the other variants out there. Tempted to use the semi-gloss black BBQ grill paint that I used when I restored my 2001 Weber Genesis Silver B. That went on really well and holds up well too.
Do you have front mud flaps? If not, gravel will blast any rattle can solution off the sliders. Trust me.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #404
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Do you have front mud flaps? If not, gravel will blast any rattle can solution off the sliders. Trust me.
I have the Husky ones. They're shorter than the factory ones I took off. Touch-ups aren't a big deal. In fact, I hope I see impacts on the side because then I'll know they saved me from another driver's door! That's the main reason I'm getting them. I just want a paint that blends with the rest of the black on the truck like the mirrors, etc. Maybe a satin or flat would be better than the semi-gloss. The great thing is that I can just paint them again if I don't like it.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #405
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha, not to burst your bubble but, I had mine powdercoated very thick, the rocks still managed to chip it. The only thing that won't is bed liner, but if its not prepped well enough, the first rock will tear it. It's a no win. I say just ten them raw until they rust off. Lol
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #406
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Haha, not to burst your bubble but, I had mine powdercoated very thick, the rocks still managed to chip it. The only thing that won't is bed liner, but if its not prepped well enough, the first rock will tear it. It's a no win. I say just ten them raw until they rust off. Lol
No bubble to burst. We're on the same page. I used spray-on bedliner that got raped by gravel when I ran with no flaps. They're rusting nicely at the moment, but tomorrow might be warm enough for me to mask off the truck and clean them up. I was waiting until I had aftermarket flaps installed.

It would've held up better with a little more cure time, but I don't think it'd matter. A really thick coating of bedliner may hold up, but I wouldn't bother if the sliders will actually see offroad duty. Even with mud flaps, enough crap will smack them over time that they'll get chipped up if used offroad, IMO.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #408
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Like the line-x. Be interested to see how well it holds up.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #409
Hunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter.V.White is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1LT, Infantry (11A)
Name: Hunter
Hunter.V.White's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like the line-x. Be interested to see how well it holds up.
My Line-x'd sliders have held up perfectly so far. Albiet I've only had them on for a couple of months, but I've had zero damage from rocks, weather, shopping carts, etc. I haven't rubbed them against rocks or trees yet, but they get used as steps on a daily basis and are showing no signs of wear.

I'll keep this thread updated as the months / years pass and they get used for what they are intended.

Hunter
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #410
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.V.White View Post
My Line-x'd sliders have held up perfectly so far. Albiet I've only had them on for a couple of months, but I've had zero damage from rocks, weather, shopping carts, etc. I haven't rubbed them against rocks or trees yet, but they get used as steps on a daily basis and are showing no signs of wear.

I'll keep this thread updated as the months / years pass and they get used for what they are intended.

Hunter
Yeah I drive on gravel roads everyday and my paint hasn't held up. Thinking about repainting them and putting the clear bra stuff over the rear horizontals that are getting beat up.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #411
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Yeah I drive on gravel roads everyday and my paint hasn't held up. Thinking about repainting them and putting the clear bra stuff over the rear horizontals that are getting beat up.
Do you have front mud flaps?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #412

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have front mud flaps?
Yep, stock length.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #413
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Yep, stock length.
That's not encouraging. The cross bracing really catches rocks. My slider paint was blasted away on a trip, and I haven't had good enough weather to repaint them yet. I didn't have any mud flaps at the time, but have aftermarket ones now. I'll just plan on respraying them a little after each trip.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #414

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's not encouraging. The cross bracing really catches rocks. My slider paint was blasted away on a trip, and I haven't had good enough weather to repaint them yet. I didn't have any mud flaps at the time, but have aftermarket ones now. I'll just plan on respraying them a little after each trip.
I repainted them once already while on the truck. And the gravel blasted it back down the next day.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #415
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I called him up. He said he is starting a new job tomorrow and is no longer doing fabrication. Said if the new gig doesn't pan out as he hopes, he may get back in to fabrication, or if for some reason there is a huge demand, he may do it part-time, but as it stands now, these are no longer available.

Anything else out there of such similar build quality and look, etc?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #416

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I called him up. He said he is starting a new job tomorrow and is no longer doing fabrication. Said if the new gig doesn't pan out as he hopes, he may get back in to fabrication, or if for some reason there is a huge demand, he may do it part-time, but as it stands now, these are no longer available.

Does this mean that I got one of his last ones? Perhaps the last one?

When I was looking at these, I was also looking at Demello and Beefed Taco's. After looking at all of them I narrowed it down to those three, and I chose Famous Fab. I'm actually heading back out to the garage to finish painting them right now.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #417
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post

True story guys. I don't want to "announc" it until I know this job will work out. But if it does....

I'll go ahead and thank all my customers for choosing my products. If there is ever a problem, any of you are more than welcome to call!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #419

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Best of luck, Derek, however it turns out. I plan to post lots of pics of mine here when I get them on. I thought there weren't enough pics of them on Access Cabs when I was looking.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #420
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
True story guys. I don't want to "announce" it until I know this job will work out. But if it does....

I'll go ahead and thank all my customers for choosing my products. If there is ever a problem, any of you are more than welcome to call!
Our loss, but I understand. If you take the same work ethic and desire to please your customers to the new job, you'll do well. You could still keep a hand in the business and do local, one-off jobs as you feel like it. Good luck!

Products Discussed in this Thread