Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Famous Fabrication

Notices

Feeler: Air Tank Sliders

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Feeler: Air Tank Sliders

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on slider capable of holding air...

I have had the set on my truck pressurized for just over 6 months. Still holds air. I have roughly 4 gallons of air between both sides. My little ARB compressor definately thanks me when airing back up. It doesn't have to run constant or get very hot anymore.

I feel that time will tell whether this was a good idea or not.

Ready, set, GO.......................
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders that double as an air tank ?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Sure, Jerry built a rack for a guy here that doubles as a tank, it can be done
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I would think that it would not be a great idea to pressurize something that is being banged and slid across rocks. There is also the chance for a weld to break from a hard landing on an obstacle. Just initial thought, I am curious as to what others think.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Neat idea! Got any pics, do they look any different from normal sliders other than the shrader valve? The only issue I could possibly see is the changing out of the air inside the bars. This could potentially introduce moisture inside the sliders and rust them from the inside out.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea, more so that the slider ends will be at each tire. How much would something like this cost ?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of farmers around here build bumpers with 6" pipe and use that as air tanks. Holds a lot of air, and if done right it is safe.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
My initial thoughts are "Yea! Why not?" But my thinking side of my brain screams "Liability, Liability, Liability!"

I wouldn't charge much more than I am currently. I would have to have customers sign something stating they know the dangers that come with pressurizing steel. I simply don't have the equipment to make a perfect, air tight seal. If they didn't hold air, I would then have to reimburse for the difference. Then people may say they didn't hold, just to get some monies back.

You all understand my thought process now.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Pressure test them in your shop.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Pressure test them in your shop.
Before shipping....understood. Could do.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
They have air IN THEM? Holy shit. That is sick.
Pics of them?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I would think that it would not be a great idea to pressurize something that is being banged and slid across rocks. There is also the chance for a weld to break from a hard landing on an obstacle. Just initial thought, I am curious as to what others think.
^^This was my initial thought^^...............then I thought maybe you were wanting to make your truck float.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
^^This was my initial thought^^...............then I thought maybe you were wanting to make your truck float.
Hmmm....not a bad idea! I could totally make this happen.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
They have air IN THEM? Holy shit. That is sick.
Pics of them?
They look absolutely the same.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
he wants pics of the air IN the slider!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
he wants pics of the air IN the slider!
Now that's gonna be tough to do....

I don't have a picture handy of how it is fed into the slider. I will take one tomorrow and share it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
interesting, what about in a bumper?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If you put air in them say 150PSI and crack them on a hard hit the air will shoot out realload and fast.
If you are worried about a large explosion and slider schrapnel going all over that is not likely unless you keep filling till something fails, steel or weld.

Put a warning on then at like 30% less presure than you test them at.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
interesting, what about in a bumper?
Same liabilities apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
If you put air in them say 150PSI and crack them on a hard hit the air will shoot out realload and fast.
If you are worried about a large explosion and slider schrapnel going all over that is not likely unless you keep filling till something fails, steel or weld.

Put a warning on then at like 30% less presure than you test them at.
Good advice. I have only had mine at 100psi though. I agree if pressurized and hit, they will simply leak and not blow. This will also render them useless as air tanks and also fatigued sliders.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
So there's a gauge and pressure regulator attached to the slider?