Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

Wife wants an FJ what do I need to know

Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Wife wants an FJ what do I need to know

Old lady said "my accord is boring, I want a project/fun car. Can we upgrade the Honda to a FJ?". I instantly had a grin on my face and said "hell yeah". Now begins the search. What do I need to know before I buy? Any bugs I should be aware of?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
test drive them. I drove a customer's FJ that I built bumpers for, and after driving it, I totally changed my mind about wanting an FJ. Just didnt like the boxy feel, small windows, and poor visibility to name a few things. It might just be me, and maybe i'd get used to it, but after driving one I'd choose a 4runner over the FJ.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well I'll only be driving it when she's not around. I still have my Tacoma. One of her GF's has one so I guess she's fallin for it.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
the 6 speeds have the same clutch noise problems the tacos do... otherwise yeah there are blind spots everywhere u look! but.... they are highly highly customizable....
Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
1st thing you ought to do is give yourself a pat on the back for marrying a woman with good taste! Then have her test drive some and check out the features she wants. Doing the same with my wife cause she wants a 4runner. She can't make up her mind so I'm letting her think it over for a bit.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
primer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: T
primer's Tacoma Gallery
Minimal FJ experience.

My wife is on her second 4runner. We've been very happy - but if I had my way we'd have never given up our 4th gen. 5th seems a little bigger - but not a better performer in many respects.

TL
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
They ride really smooth! And everybody thinks they're top heavy like a jeeb because of how they look, but they take corners really well.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
You need to know your wife is awesome!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
They ride really smooth! And everybody thinks they're top heavy like a jeeb because of how they look, but they take corners really well.
Did I hear supercharger?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Did I hear supercharger?
My subliminal messages are working.... Wait what?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
So the 6speed is crap eh? Throw out bearings I hear get noisie.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
  1. Prepare for her to back into stuff. Visibility is less than great.
  2. Don't expect the tiny rear doors to act like real doors. A girl I know ate a good size loss because she couldn't handle her FJ after 6 months. She hated the small back doors and struggled continuously with baby seats.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
the 6 speed's are full time 4x4 too....
Like as in no transfercase? Like an AWD with a center diff? I thought the drive trains were almost identical to the Tacoma's?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like as in no transfercase? Like an AWD with a center diff? I thought the drive trains were almost identical to the Tacoma's?
It has a Tcase and low range, but for some reason toyota thought it was a bright idea to make it full time 4x4??
The auto's have the manual tcase with shifter in the console though.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old lady said "my accord is boring, I want a project/fun car. Can we upgrade the Honda to a FJ?". I instantly had a grin on my face and said "hell yeah". Now begins the search. What do I need to know before I buy? Any bugs I should be aware of?
Learn how to put you're foot down.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Learn how to put you're foot down.

??? My foot is on the floor???

Relentless- it's going to be the auto for sure then!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #18
兔年快乐! 慢慢走!
trot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud of

trot's Tacoma Gallery
My better half was wanting a GLK. She learned to drive a few years ago (in my lifted Jeep) but her first car (still has it) is the Yaris Hatch (a very good car for the money really).

I talked her out of the GLK. Too much money really.

So now she went and picked out an FJ (wants a white one). We didn't pull the trigger yet. I'm waiting until a really cold, rainy (or snowy) Friday afternoon near the end of the month of Jan. or Feb. (right before the dealer is wrapping up for the night)

Since she's short and the FJ has the seat height adjustment (as ALL cars should have) she may be able to drive it, but the visibility is a hindrance for an inexperienced driver.

We'll see. I think it's a fine ride and very capable.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trot View Post
My better half was wanting a GLK. She learned to drive a few years ago (in my lifted Jeep) but her first car (still has it) is the Yaris Hatch (a very good car for the money really).

I talked her out of the GLK. Too much money really.

So now she went and picked out an FJ (wants a white one). We didn't pull the trigger yet. I'm waiting until a really cold, rainy (or snowy) Friday afternoon near the end of the month of Jan. or Feb. (right before the dealer is wrapping up for the night)

Since she's short and the FJ has the seat height adjustment (as ALL cars should have) she may be able to drive it, but the visibility is a hindrance for an inexperienced driver.

We'll see. I think it's a fine ride and very capable.
Height won't be problem for her. I'm 5'4 and my mom's shorter than me. She has no problems driving hers at all.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
What year did they change the engine in them? 09 or 2010?