LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

My Dads Aftermarket Fogs

Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, if you want them to have the same function as OEM fog lights, they should only be able to be turned on when the low beams are on and the switch is on. A tap into the low beam power wire and an automotive relay would be required to make this happen. I've got a set of driving lights wired this way to my high beams and I've got a Tacoma but I can get pics if you'd like. Technically, I don't think there's anything illegal about having them wired that way. I believe most states allow you to have 4 forward facing lights on at any given time but check your local laws to be sure.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yes, if you want them to have the same function as OEM fog lights, they should only be able to be turned on when the low beams are on and the switch is on. A tap into the low beam power wire and an automotive relay would be required to make this happen. I've got a set of driving lights wired this way to my high beams and I've got a Tacoma but I can get pics if you'd like. Technically, I don't think there's anything illegal about having them wired that way. I believe most states allow you to have 4 forward facing lights on at any given time but check your local laws to be sure.
thanks for the info, could you snap a pic?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanTRDmachine View Post
thanks for the info, could you snap a pic?
Well, I went to snap a pic but you can't see a damn thing. All the wiring is wire loomed and tucked inside the fender (I'm a little anal about wiring, I don't like to see loose wires in the engine bay or the cab).

What I did though is use a basic automotive relay, tap into the high beams (low beams for your case) and use that as my 'jumper wire' and run that to the relay. Here's a wiring diagram that will do what you want. The only difference is where the battery feeds the relay (what's referred to as the yellow wire on the diagram), that would be replaced by your low beam wire tap (and you wouldn't need an inline fuse from the wire tap to the relay since the low beams are already fused). That way the fog lights will only turn on when the switch is turned on AND the low beams are on, just like they were intended to operate out of the factory.