1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Dads Aftermarket Fogs

Discussion in 'FJ Cruisers' started by cleanTRDmachine, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine [OP] watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    My dad just had his aftermarket fogs installed on his 07 FJ. The mechanic said that the lights won't turn off when the high beams are engaged.
    Is there some type of wiring or relay that must be installed?
    Pics would be awesome

Thanks

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yes, if you want them to have the same function as OEM fog lights, they should only be able to be turned on when the low beams are on and the switch is on. A tap into the low beam power wire and an automotive relay would be required to make this happen. I've got a set of driving lights wired this way to my high beams and I've got a Tacoma but I can get pics if you'd like. Technically, I don't think there's anything illegal about having them wired that way. I believe most states allow you to have 4 forward facing lights on at any given time but check your local laws to be sure.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine [OP] watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    thanks for the info, could you snap a pic?

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well, I went to snap a pic but you can't see a damn thing. All the wiring is wire loomed and tucked inside the fender (I'm a little anal about wiring, I don't like to see loose wires in the engine bay or the cab).

What I did though is use a basic automotive relay, tap into the high beams (low beams for your case) and use that as my 'jumper wire' and run that to the relay. Here's a wiring diagram that will do what you want. The only difference is where the battery feeds the relay (what's referred to as the yellow wire on the diagram), that would be replaced by your low beam wire tap (and you wouldn't need an inline fuse from the wire tap to the relay since the low beams are already fused). That way the fog lights will only turn on when the switch is turned on AND the low beams are on, just like they were intended to operate out of the factory.
    [​IMG]

To Top