Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

Painted roof, or Vinyl covering over roof?

View Poll Results: Vinyl or Paint on roof
Vinyl 13 54.17%
Paint 9 37.50%
other... explain... 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Painted roof, or Vinyl covering over roof?

Hey guys,

so I will be purchasing a FJ soon, and let me tell you... the white roof is junk...

just wanted to see what your thoughts were on either painting the roof to color match or black, or getting the entire roof vinyl wrapped.

I am in New England, and it would have to withstand the winters of snow and ice.

Im also not sure on prices, I was just curious about quality and look.

Thoughts?

Vinyl roof wrap or Professional paint
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Cover it with Line-X
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Paint since you want it permanent.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I would try vinyl. Not sure how expensive it is but you could always have it painted in tge future if you really like it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Paint or bedliner.

Vinyl tops looked great in the late 60s and 70s on luxury cars.
Those same cars looked like hell 10 years later when the roofs started rusting through, blistering the vinyl, and the rear windows started leaking rain and shedding their chrome trim.

Vinyl is a great material for the exterior of a show car/trailer queen. There's a reason it's not used from the factory anymore.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
sounds like vinyl would be a good short term thing...

but long term paint or bed liner.... depending on what look I would like.

Cheers everyone
Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
I would go vinyl. Never know if you're going to change your mind one day or possibly sell/trade in your truck. There is a time frame in which you can cleanly remove the vinyl without damaging the trucks finish. I believe it is 4 years.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Paint or bedliner.

Vinyl tops looked great in the late 60s and 70s on luxury cars.
Those same cars looked like hell 10 years later when the roofs started rusting through, blistering the vinyl, and the rear windows started leaking rain and shedding their chrome trim.

Vinyl is a great material for the exterior of a show car/trailer queen. There's a reason it's not used from the factory anymore.
I think there is a huge difference between the vinyl of the 60s and the vinyl that is referred to in this thread.

I would leave it white. Black will be hot inside, especially if it is bedliner as suggested by some. I have seen an experiment where they checked the inside temperature of different color cars, all the same models, and there were several degrees difference between white and black.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
MadeInMaine

EMS:
yeh... i would agree with that...

white would deflect much more sunlight than black.

But DAMN, that white roof is nasty!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
so when you say vinyl top do you mean like this?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
MadeInMaine

EMS:
HA
indeed sir

indeed
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine View Post
HA
indeed sir

indeed
well i was thinking of a vinyl roof... and the only thing i could think of was the old buick regals with the vinyl tops... and i went on craigslist and thats the only regal with a vinyle top i could find... i could see it it maybe working in an FJ.... id be different

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
MadeInMaine

EMS:
I'm good.... thanks though...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
When you say vinyl im old enough to think of the old kind. Asheet to cover would be a good choice. If you dont like it peel it off.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
quacktoduck is on a distinguished road
Name: duck
quacktoduck's Tacoma Gallery
you can do it in vinyl

Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quack what did you use for the door handles and mirrors?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
not my car just a local company ive used. on my rig i painted the door handles mirrors and grill with rustoleum textured black.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
better pics of the grill

Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
MadeInMaine

EMS:
beauty!