Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

2010 FJ or new Taco Access cab 4 banger?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
2010 FJ or new Taco Access cab 4 banger?

I was dead set on buying a Taco 4 cylinder but then I saw how much private party was on a 2010 FJ. The new 4.0 on the FJ seems to get good mileage. And the Taco would probably get 23+ me thinks.
So my question is should I get a used 2010 FJ with 40k+ miles or a brand new Taco?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want/need a bed? Obviously the 6cyl vs the 4cyl .....I would want a 6 pesonally. And the FJ wont get more than 18-19 on average I think.

Personally I wouldnt get a 4banger truck. Just me....I think the taco 6cyl is slow enough......I would get the FJ......or of course a V6 Taco
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I dont need a bed but it would be very nice. The trade off is the FJ has more off road equipment. I dont mind the 4 cylinder at all. I care alot more about engine reliability and MPG. I will be going long distances on dirt roads in Idaho so the better MPG the better.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
I was dead set on buying a Taco 4 cylinder but then I saw how much private party was on a 2010 FJ. The new 4.0 on the FJ seems to get good mileage. And the Taco would probably get 23+ me thinks.
So my question is should I get a used 2010 FJ with 40k+ miles or a brand new Taco?
I had a 4cyl 2011 5 spd. Put 20,000 miles on it and consistently got 21mpg with mixed driving. My 2012 4.0 auto gets around 16-18 and quite frankly is still pretty slow. Only reason I went bigger is because we will be having a family in the near future and I need the extra cab space.

There honestly isn't a major difference in performance, but again I don't buy a truck for speed. Also the 2.7L is legendary for performance and reliability. I say go with the truck.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I dont need a bed but it would be very nice. The trade off is the FJ has more off road equipment. I dont mind the 4 cylinder at all. I care alot more about engine reliability and MPG. I will be going long distances on dirt roads in Idaho so the better MPG the better.
then no question the truck................you will be pissed when you only get 17 with mixed driving. Only time I get 20ish is long hauls and being light on the foot....which im not and never will be.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Is the new 4.0 pretty reliable? Is it that big of a diffrence of road between the two?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.7l 5sp is actually pretty fun to drive. If you are doing a lot of unpaved road you won't be needing a huge amount of power anyway and you won't be going particularly fast to worry about the mileage dropoff above 70mph. It doesn't sound like the additional off road equipment is required.

I guess the bottom line is the form factor: do you want a bed or not?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do you want a SUV or a truck?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I see the merits of both. Thats why its so hard to decide. The bed is great for hauling my mountian bike, skiis and future kayak. The FJ may be better for off road and hauling 3 people though.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Quote:
I see the merits of both. Thats why its so hard to decide. The bed is great for hauling my mountian bike, skiis and future kayak. The FJ may be better for off road and hauling 3 people though.
Three people in a 4banger? so lets hope one is a midget or child...cuz the back seats in not one at all. Its a place to put my shit. The FJ is nice inside although its basically an access cab SUV. Its seats are decently comfy in the back though if you are not 6ft tall. I felt a little cramped in the rear after 30 min in my buddies.

The fj is made to offroad......it comes quite capable from the factory.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #11

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Well the 3rd person is a stick figure of a man so not a huge problem. I have seen people have complaints about really low MPG. Does this happen on the new 4.0?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well the 3rd person is a stick figure of a man so not a huge problem. I have seen people have complaints about really low MPG. Does this happen on the new 4.0?

i am averaging between 16-18 in my 4.0 Automatic DCSB 4x4.....i guess really low is a relative term.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed123ROBERTELEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
123ROBERTELEE's Tacoma Gallery
Tough question... Go look at Jaques from TRDparts4u's 4banger and you will definetly want one of those. But if you do not plan on going to that extreme get a FJ. You will be much more pleased especially if you will have a 3rd person with you.

Now if gas mileage is your main concern you have to think of this two ways. How much stuff are you planning on loading into that 4banger? 3 people and enough gear for all of you and tools, rercovery gear ect... Then you will get bad mileage anyway and no power. The FJ has power for days no madder how many people or gear I have in it. I also have friends that pull off road trailers just fine and say they do not even notice it sometimes.

My .02c