Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > FJ Cruisers

Notices

FJ getting poor mpg read here!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
andy2003 will become famous soon enough

Name: Andy
andy2003's Tacoma Gallery
Talking FJ getting poor mpg read here!

Hey guys recently I noticed my 07 dropped mpg horrible so I started the search for what I might do to help the problem. Long story short after changing plugs I was still only getting around 200 miles a tank! Stumbled across fjcruiserforums.com and found a thread all about the problem. I had noticed my exhaust had gotten a deeper tone to it almost like having a flow master muffler and I didn't. Apparently the FJ's have been having older thermostats becoming weak and they will end up running wide open. This is letting the engine temp stay at 150 instead of 180/185. Which causes the computer to think its cold and dump extra fuel to warm it up. Which has caused some cats to go bad early from burning the extra fuel off there.(deeper exhaust tone) So if you have noticed a sharp drop either constant or some of the time try switching your thermostat out. I picked housing and all up at the local dealer for 43 bucks. Worse case if it doesn't help your not out much coin. Mine has returned to getting just over 300 miles a tank driving it mostly interstate setting cruise at 70. Which same tactics week before had me getting 12mpg. Hope it might help some let me know.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks for the info
Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I think I will just replace the thermostat at the same time as the coolant change (every 4 years or 40k miles)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

No problem guys! I hope it helps and Im going to do the same thing on the coolant as well. I flushed mine best I could drained it used hose till I got all I could out of the drain plugs. I ran into same issues the OP was having on the FJ forum with the dealer. I had them check it over could not find a thing wrong. Was told if something was wrong the check engine light would come on. Whole time a 40 buck part could have saved me a bunch of gas money. I did my fuel mileage this morning with a fill up and was back up to 18.2 mpg. Of course if you drive it like you stole it it will be less but at least you know you can get good mpg when you want!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
i tell other FJ owners when I meet them about this thermostat issue
Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles does your FJ have on it?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
How many miles does your FJ have on it?
mine? 9,000
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
mine? 9,000
No, sorry. I was wondering about the OP's.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #10

Next oil change will be 85000 I think just a little over 83 right now
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Limited

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
if you are under 200 per tank on HWY something is wrong - unless towing, hauling, or snowing/4x4
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

Changed stat back up to 300 plus a tank
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Denteen is on a distinguished road
Army:
Denteen's Tacoma Gallery
WTH!!!!!!!
it cant be that easy! I am lucky to get 230/tank on my TRD 2007 6 speed, and that is with me driving very casually. I have a 2"lift and +1 size tires, nothing crazy. I usually take the Prius (YES! I HAVE A PRIUS TOO!! AND A TACOMA 4X4!!!BRING IT!!!

I am going to do this asap! Along with new plugs, which are old. I will be so stoked if this works.
What fuel you using? Premium or Regular? I have to admit I use Regular alot, and no noticeable difference.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If the thermostat is stuck open, shouldn't the temp gauge read lower? Our old Caravan with the 3.0L engine had this problem, and the temp gauge would always read cold, resulting in no heat, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If the thermostat is stuck open, shouldn't the temp gauge read lower? Our old Caravan with the 3.0L engine had this problem, and the temp gauge would always read cold, resulting in no heat, etc.
Was this one of the ones with the Mitsubishi 3.0? We had a '91 Caravan with one of those, nothing but problems from the day my parents bought it. With those, once one thing goes wrong, things never stop going wrong. We now have a 97 Caravan we got from a friend with one of the Mitsu 3.0's, and it's terrible as well. Our '94 Grand Caravan, with the Mopar 3.3, is excellent. Never had a problem with it, and it's at 244k.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to look into mine. I have an 07 fj and the mileage is shit.im doing a 1/4 tank a day.i think my truck has the trd exhaust cause it does have a deep tone.(bought truck used) ill have to climb under and check.i just filled tank and will clock mileage and see how bad it is.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a pristine a 07 but it has 82000 miles on it so I will do a spark plug change and the thermostat as well
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
So did the dash temp gauge correspond with the effed thermostat? As in, was it reading lower than the normal middle of the range?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, I am only getting about 250 miles per tank in my Tacoma